Sign in to follow this  
=LwS=Balapan

Pimax 5k+ settings for spotting and id?

Just got my Pimax 5k+ yesterday, and trying to set it in IL 2.

Knowing that some players here have their pimaxes for some period of time, I would like to ask them to share settings they find the best for spotting and identification of contacts in IL 2.

It all depends on your hardware and what you deem to be minimum acceptable FPS, list your CPU and GPU please.  I have a Pimax 5K+ on a Ryzen 2700X and RTX 2080 and at high preset, no mirrors (don't need em with wide FoV), no HDR, no SSAO.  At these settings I get around 45+ FPS in career mode furballs.

PiTools set to 1 for rendering quality, SteamVR SS is at 100%, FoV Normal.

It is definitely easier to ID and spot than my old CV1 simply because the SDE is much, much improved.  No amount of super sampling fills the SDE gaps, so less SDE is always better.

Some other tips.

Don't use sharpening in the graphics settings for the ground textures.  It causes more shimmer and ground targets can get lost in the shimmer.

Don't go too high on supersampling, it causes pixels to blur and blend in to the background.

• Upvote 1

I have i7 8700k @ 5.0MHz, RTX 2080ti card.

Do you use in game antialiasing?

What gamma level do you prefer?

Yes I use in game AA.

Gamma level in game is standard, in PiTools brightness is set to low.

I use PItool Quality at 1.0 and SteamVR SS at 66%.

I get a bit less detail about the scene but much better fps (60 to 90).

If you use pitool at 1.0 and SteamVR SS 100% it is a lot for any GPU on earth. You will be always at 45-60 fps. It depends what you want, more fps or better visual.

You should now that with pitool at 1.0 and SteamVR SS 100% you are already doing an internal SS of 344%!! (this is the absolute values).

The numbers are here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/42316-pimax-5k-rendering-quality-and-ss-for-spot-and-id-sample-pictures/

Best thing is to use fpsVR app (it cost few dollars) to know exactly the frametimes of CPU and GPU while you are playing. So you will see how much bottlenecked is the GPU with SteamVR at SS 100%.

In any case, there are some more variables to play with the new update of Pitool.

In Germany, there are sellers who are selling Pimax 5k+ on Ebay.

Hence an offtopic question - were people able to order multiple Pimax units at once? Seems like part of the queue was taken up by such people...

9 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

In Germany, there are sellers who are selling Pimax 5k+ on Ebay.

Hence an offtopic question - were people able to order multiple Pimax units at once? Seems like part of the queue was taken up by such people...

Are the prices jacked? If so maybe a little scalping going on.

If not may be just some folks not pleased with it.

I had an early backer pledge and once some positive reviews came out ...I sold the p[edge for more than double what i paid for it ...Now I have an Odyssey instead :)

Does anyone know what the best way to buy one is, if you are in the UK?

Is it still direct from there website?

I think I got to upgrade from my GTX1080 first. Fillrate is fillrate. The RTX 2080ti that dburne got is the minimum to not throttle the HMD, Tomshardware stated. They benchmarked her extensively. I wouldn't want to have to reduce the FOV too massively.

Looks incredibly interesting though.