Sign in to follow this  
Lazduc

Please some information and guidance

Yes, I finally tried playing this.  First attempt, game crashed.  Second attempt, black screen.   3rd attempt, no control from mouse-keyboard-or joystick.  Opened Cliffs of Dover which is on my steam account.  Worked correctly.  Returned to IL2 and tried again.  Nada.  Went to forums and found topic Manuals etc.  Latest information was a download from 2015.  Is there a current manual somewhere?

Also reading a few entry's I found a few distressing items.  The one that bothered me the most was concerning the early access-beta and read that features to some modules in the past have

never been addressed nor included. 

I really hoped that this software would be in a released/finished state when moved out of beta.  I am disappointed with the lack of a current manual that should include all the major modules.

Granted I am new to this environment .  I have invested in most of the current titles but  have not had time to get into this game so I remain optimistic that this will be better than DCS.

I will try again tonight and see if I can sort out some of these issues. 

Lazduc

Everything you need to know about IL-2

https://www.youtube.com/user/RequiemBoS

Providing a manual for this sim was a decision that had to be balanced with the fact that everything anyone needs to know about anything today can be found on YouTube. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Upvote 1

Good morning,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your hardware. Did you check if the drivers are up to date? Maybe this could help or what exactly are you using? Maybe someone has an idea.
As for the airplane/vehicle manuals, there are some. If you are before or in a mission you can go to description. There are all the important data inside about the engine management etc. Otherwise you can also have a look at Jademonkey's overview here, maybe it will help you.  
Because after the start sequence is done with a simple push of a button, the rest is actually quite catchy or not?

Beside all these things there are, as SharpeXB has already written, many Youtuber who have done good tutorials for the game and its content.

best regards Rico

You can get the Il-2 manual from the first link here.

This is also good. It’s basically the updated manual for operating all the aircraft. 

7 hours ago, Lazduc said:

Yes, I finally tried playing this.  First attempt, game crashed.  Second attempt, black screen.   3rd attempt, no control from mouse-keyboard-or joystick.  Opened Cliffs of Dover which is on my steam account.  Worked correctly.  Returned to IL2 and tried again.  Nada.  Went to forums and found topic Manuals etc.  Latest information was a download from 2015.  Is there a current manual somewhere?

None of those three attempts at starting IL-2 are typical. In the year's that I've been flying IL-2: Great Battles I can count on one hand the number of times that I've seen a crash. This may be a job for the tech support part of the forum but all of those crashes should leave error messages in the Windows error logs. See if you can pull them out and see what they can tell us.

A lot has changed since the 2005 user manual went out, however, not much from the tech side has changed that would require a re-write. It should still be relevant.

Also reading a few entry's I found a few distressing items.  The one that bothered me the most was concerning the early access-beta and read that features to some modules in the past have never been addressed nor included. 

I really hoped that this software would be in a released/finished state when moved out of beta.  I am disappointed with the lack of a current manual that should include all the major modules.

Not really sure what you're referencing here. IL-2 doesn't have a public beta so whatever version were on currently is the most up to date public build. The series has grown immensely since launch in 2013-14 with plenty of new aircraft, ways to play, features added, graphics updated, etc. IL-2 is in a release state. What you may be reading about is early access for the latest title and in that case there are three under development: IL-2: Battle of Bodneplatte, Tank Crew - Clash at Prokhorovka, and Flying Circus Vol 1. All of them are under development and has content is finished its implemented into the public build. It's a little different than DCS.

Granted I am new to this environment .  I have invested in most of the current titles but  have not had time to get into this game so I remain optimistic that this will be better than DCS.

I will try again tonight and see if I can sort out some of these issues. 

Lazduc

Good luck! If you do manage to find the error codes that will go a long way to sorting out whatever tech issues is preventing you from flying. IL-2 is a great sim and well worth the time!

• Upvote 1

All I can say is good luck, 2.  I hope u can sort it out. It's well worth it. I have been flying BOX since early days, on 4 different PCs, w7-w10 and never had an issue..

I should say all the problems you depict are due to hardware problems or outdated hardware so can we have some precisions about your hardware?!

Thank You.:salute:

Thank you for the information.  It appears this software is completely different than what I am used to in DCS.  Their constant updates and repairs which supposedly should work, especially after being moved from beta to stable remain  problematic even after its pointed out that the beta should not be moved into stable as it still has major issues.

I am looking into the events I encountered. I am sure its this old computer. This computer is not the one I will finally use for my simulators.  This computer is, I7-2600K, 8gb memory, 2 AMD Radeon 6800 in crossfire, Win-7 Ultimate, 1ssd with operat-sys on it.  Other software on 2- 1 TB hard disks.  This is my old guy.  But drivers are current.  I enabled SLI when I got the black screen...maybe the system does not like this?  When I tried again, the game started but the controls/keyboard/joystick had no effect.( I had disabled sli) ( Strange that Cliffs of Dover on my steam account ran perfectly.)  I do hope that this software takes advantage of a SLI system.  I know this system cannot run VR.

Could be that my two old AMD card are not enough to actually work in sli.  They  only have 1gb of vid memory each.  1gb is not used , a strange quirk with sli.

I also have a simular system to SENSEIPCC that I am considering using.  The video card in that system is a Nvidia 1060.  How is VR gaming in this program?

My new system is an I7-8700K, 32gb, 2 Nvidia 1080ti's, 1200watt PS, Asus Max X Hero MB, 2-500gb ssd, 1-480gb NVME.  I built this to keep up with the demands of DCS.  It remains unused.

If this program does not take advantage of SLI, I will use the 4790 system.  I am totally relieved that this software is actually very stable.  I do understand that events do occur.

I do not mind a little configuration adjustments.  I am just curious why the old system will not work properly..I will find out and post my findings.

Thanks again for your inputs.

Laz      

The required system specs are here (bottom of page):

https://il2sturmovik.com/about/#4

I suspect your troubles are due to your GPU(s). You need at least a 2 GB video card. I think that 2 x 1 GB cards running SLI won't work, as most of the required memory usage is duplicated across both cards. I'd try it on the new system.