Sign in to follow this  
56RAF_Roblex

Airfield anti-vulching defence methods?

I believe that people should be allowed to bomb an active airfield with a bomber or a fighter bomber and maybe even make a single pass using guns,  this is authentic,  but it is when they hang around looking for victims to vulch that I think it becomes an issue.    Most servers seem to just accept that it is just something that happens and either decide to make it fully acceptable or tell people they disapprove but can't do anything to stop it.     Please do not read any further if you personally want vulching in your server and don't believe anyone else should do theirs differently. This is not a question about 'Should vulching be allowed?'   This is a question about whether the game has mechanics to support me doing something different.

Ideally what I need is for airfield AA to be extremely lethal but to take a short time to 'wake up' before it starts shooting then go to sleep again after 5 minutes of inactivity.  This allows a an enemy to make a single daring attack and survive but it is suicidal to hang around and do it again.  Is there any way to do something like that, even part of it?   

Looking at the parts individually the first issue is 'Lethality'.   Can I even make AAA extremely lethal around an airfield  without making it too lethal around a target? Yes I can put a lot more near the airfield but there are performance issues if I go too far so let's assume the same number of guns.  Can the mix of types help?

The next issue is lethal AAA that does not kill someone making a single fast pass as they did in real life.  Yes attacking such targets was very dangerous but they still did it because there was a short window to drop the bombs or shoot up the field and get out of effective range before most of the guns could react and target you.   I know you can have guns that do not even spawn until an enemy is in range so I suppose you could make the guns have a very short 'activation' range so they do not appear and start shooting until the enemy is close enough to drop its bombs and start escaping.  Would that do the job on it's own?  Can the spawning itself be delayed somehow after being triggered?  

The last issue is that if we assume a method has been devised to allow an attacker to make a fast attack & escape before the lethal AAA 'wakes up',  is there any mechanism that would allow me to keep the AAA on a high level of alert killing any enemies that stick around but to 'stand down' or 'fall asleep' after 5 minutes of inactivity (or even just 5 minutes by the clock) ?   I know there is a way for targets to rebuild after destruction so if we solve the puzzle of making guns take 15s seconds to spawn after being triggered is there a way for the AAA to self destruct after 5 minutes then rebuild next time someone enters its trigger zone? 

For the sake of experimentation lets assume  we place a lethal AA gun 1 km North of the field with with a 0.5km radius trigger zone and the same in the South. An enemy at tree tops travelling at 240kph North to South would cause the N gun to spawn when 1km from the airfield, take 15 seconds to cross that 1km circle  and be over the centre of the airfield at which point it would enter the trigger zone of the South gun.   If we had a way to delay the spawning by 15 seconds then the enemy raider would have dropped its bombs and started jinking before the North gun starts shooting at it from 1km behind  then 15 seconds later it will be 2km from the N gun and the South gun will start firing at it from 1km behind as well.    If he keeps going and keeps jinking he will probably survive but if he tries to turn back and make a second attack or hangs around looking for someone to vulch then those two guns will likely kill him and he will trigger more guns to start shooting as well if he does not stick to a strictly N-S line.  The field is now strongly defended.    Ideally what we need now is for the guns to somehow 'Go away' after 5 minutes but be ready to respawn if another enemy arrives.    Are any elements of this possible with current game mechanisms?

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
spelling
  • Upvote 1

Air start (perhaps at multiple locations) would solve the vulching problem on start up.

3 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

The Idea with the Ace AA which activates after 5 minutes  is very possible!

I threw quickly a example together.

After A plane enters the Area, the indestructable ace AA will activate after 5 min for 5 min and then deactivate and check again for new planes.

4YLH9VS.png

Edited by Leon_Portier
Wrong picture
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leon_Portier said:

The Idea with the Ace AA which activates after 5 minutes  is very possible!

I threw quickly a example together.

After A plane enters the Area, the indestructable ace AA will activate after 5 min for 5 min and then deactivate and check again for new planes.

Wow! Thanks.   So my idea to allow an intruder just a few minutes over the target before all hell lets loose is actually doable?   You can set it so the AA spawns 1 or 2 minutes after an enemy gets in range then stays hyped up for 10 minutes before going back to sleep until next time.    That would be great as it will allow a bomber to drop and also allow a fighter bomber to make a single fast pass with bombs and/or guns  but not allow him to  hang around looking for people spawning.    Sure he could wait 10 minutes until it quiets down and have another go but hopefully someone has taken off in the meantime and climbed over the field under the protection of the AAA to be ready to defend the field.

2 hours ago, OpticFlow said:

Air start (perhaps at multiple locations) would solve the vulching problem on start up.

I am not a fan of air starts.  I enjoy taxiing out and taking off.   If it was up to me I would tell everyone they need to taxi back to a refit area before they can claim full points for a successful sortie 🙂    Yes I know many people would be upset by that,  I am just saying what I would enjoy and not campaigning for that to be forced on anyone else.

7 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Yeah, the question is how well performance is. With 5 or 6 of Airports with 1 such AA group each the impact should be small, but I am no server operator, so I just can guess.

Edited by Leon_Portier

Can you put something like a "radar" around AFs? Should be simpler and would help immensely.

Another idea would be to have AAA accuracy to increase slowly with every shot and decrease slowly with time when inactive.

4 minutes ago, Ehret said:

Can you put something like a "radar" around AFs? Should be simpler and would help immensely.

Another idea would be to have AAA accuracy to increase slowly with every shot and decrease slowly with time when inactive.

Both is possible, in mission editor you can designate any object as a Spotter, which works like a Radar.

I think its possible to increase AA accuracy with the Behaviour MCU, it would look like the example I showed, but with 2 Behaviour MCUs instead of Activate-Deactivate MCUs.

I would just place several guns on top of each other, only 1 spawned at any give time.

First one is low - deactivate/activate next gun and so on.

On Ace Flak38 on a field and you're not gong to want to hang around.

If you want to be mean you can also pipe in a "Command Damage - Complete" MCU to the player's aircraft which triggers if they spend too long over the airfield.

That way they just die gun or no gun. Kinda funny really.

As you said, I'm not a fan of anything that seems 'too' unrealistic. I have significant tracer-based AA (as well as "puffy flak") around my airfields. The tracer-AA is of various calibres but all set to 'High' skill. I don't see an 'Ace' option, maybe I'm missing something? If I set the puffy flak to 'High' skill people get nuked before they even see the field which is kind of unfair, so I leave that on Normal.

For anti-vulching I'm currently planning to have respawning AA on some kind of timer, so that you at least get some small calibre AA back on the field fairly quickly and someone can't just loiter forever. It won't be instant respawn though, that seems unrealistic. But a guy running back out of a dugout with a machine gun could happen fairly frequently, every few minutes.

But to be honest, it's pretty amateur vulching if someone's over the field and within AA range. They should be 6km towards the likely fight at 2,000m, diving on enemies as they climb out of the field. That kind of vulching is hard to prevent -- you could argue people should do a circular climb over the friendly field before heading out and frankly in a highly hostile wartime environment they may have had to do exactly that.