Warpig

U-2VS Tail Gunner

When not equipping the tail gunner, shouldn't it remove the person who controls the gun? He looks kind of creepy, like a composite sketch with no emotion. Besides, his big head distorts my view when trying to enjoy the scenery.

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Was the gunner purely a gunner or did she have other roles?   

Maybe a navigator/spotter?

• Upvote 1

The rear seat can access the bombsight and is also equipped with dual controls; I actually prefer sitting there once in flight because there is an unobstructed view above that you don't get from the front. The daft thing is that in BoX U-2VS you are only able to access the rear seat if you HAVE taken the gun, so you have the weight penalty to consider.

The plane must remain balanced. It is necessary to substitute a sack of sand in place of a passenger in some light aircraft like the U-2VS.

I don't know if this is the case for the U-2VS, but it certainly is for some of it's contemporaries.

Edited by [DBS]Browning

3 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Was the gunner purely a gunner or did she have other roles?   

Love.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Warpig said:

When not equipping the tail gunner, shouldn't it remove the person who controls the gun? He looks kind of creepy, like a composite sketch with no emotion. Besides, his big head distorts my view when trying to enjoy the scenery.

Of course, it should be optional to save view and weight.

It would be called:

"Creepy passenger" 

• Haha 1

I did notice this image of the gunner in the 3.009 thread.  His nose is almost as wide as his neck.  :o:

IL-2  Sturmovik  Battle of Stalingrad Screenshot 2018.12.20 - 14.05.28.06.jpg

• Haha 1

It's flattened from the tremendous G forces that the U2VS can pull on takeoff...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, [DBS]Browning said:

The plane must remain balanced. It is necessary to substitute a sack of sand in place of a passenger in some light aircraft like the U-2VS.

I don't know if this is the case for the U-2VS, but it certainly is for some of it's contemporaries.

Bristol F2b is notable example of this.

Related image

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, danielprates said:

Charles Asnavour sang a famous song about this crewoman of yours!

Well, night witches and all ... so "she"

On 2/1/2019 at 5:02 PM, 216th_Cat said:

The rear seat can access the bombsight and is also equipped with dual controls; I actually prefer sitting there once in flight because there is an unobstructed view above that you don't get from the front. The daft thing is that in BoX U-2VS you are only able to access the rear seat if you HAVE taken the gun, so you have the weight penalty to consider.

Wait? The rear seat does have a bombsight?

18 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Wait? The rear seat does have a bombsight?

It does, but it's not usable by the player right now. 

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

It does, but it's not usable by the player right now. 

Got it. I was wondering how I missed that and I'm also a lot less disappointed in the AI doing level bomb attacks in the Career missions now.

16 hours ago, IV./JG5_weee said:

so..Is there any pan to remove the tail gunner?

Nothing so far.  

Now that I think of it, an upgrade to the visual crew models on existing aircraft would make for a good optional DLC package...

On 2/1/2019 at 10:02 PM, 216th_Cat said:

I didn't know about the bomb sight ? is it accessed with the the default bomb sight button or do you have to jump into the rear seat ?

Edit: NVM just read Luke's post

Edited by =11=Herne

On 2/1/2019 at 11:03 PM, [DBS]Browning said:

I understand.

So the solution is to put the pilot in the rear seat on solo flights, like on the Piper Cub

Solved!

I'm not entirely sure why you would remove the rear-seat crewman in what is essentially a trainer/twin-crew machine.

No balance problem whatsoever thanks to Kermit! 

So this is definitively a front seat solo plane.

I just wish our passenger could be a loadout so we can deliver him with a new key function: "Unload Passengers"

Edited by TG1_Nil