Gambit21

U2 land in a road, then take off

Anyone tried it?

I’m thinking of adding another special mission objective to my current, almost finished project. I’m not home at the moment to try, and also rusty (nose in the editor for 2 years) so I’m probably not the best person to determine this right now.

• Like 1

It is easy to do. I like to pick a house and pretend its mine and try and slow down right next to the front door for some mid mission snacking.

• Haha 3

If the roads are wide enough. I wanted to do a Ju87 rescue flight for a downed pilot, but kept hitting the trees on the sides of the road. It is a smooth surface however, and not the "fields" . Should be able to? I DO know you can't take a Ju52 off from a grass field... Landing is okay, takeoff it just gets stuck...

• Upvote 1

I tried with the U2 to land ans take off on a road but with NO success.

The lower wing brakes as soon as it touch the ground.

I am so sad this plane can not take off from grass or random field, even from a road. 

Edited by TG1_Nil

You can’t take off from open fields, regardless of how flat they look.

Roads may be different, I haven’t tried, but fields definitely don’t work. 

with the U2/Po2, landings on roads does work but taking off is another matter because you may not deviate from the road at all or you are stuck immediately or loose important parts of the planes, like ailerons or wheels.

Po2 after road landing.jpg

Edited by senseispcc
clarification

OK - so landing on a road and turning around/taking off from the direction you came probably not doable.

Also no taxi into a field/then return to road.

Landing on a road, stopping, taking off (continuing same direction) doable.

Thanks guys.

You certainly can land the U-2 on a road and take off again, I've done it several times - but that's several times out of ten times as many tries. You have to be almost stalled and so careful not to put a wheel on the grass as it will dig in and (usually) break the wing. Alignment with the road is key, that and no crabbing or drifting. The road surface is the ONLY part that is hard, it doesn't extend even one inch into the grass. If you have landed successfully on the road and drift off towards the end of slowing down you can thrash the revs and get the wheel back on the hard surface again, but once you are stopped with a wheel just inches into the mud you are pretty much stuck for good.

Hopefully there will be some changes regarding takeoff and landings before too long.  If I recall, the earlier versions of the game did allow players to take off from open fields, but the settings were changed in an unsuccessful attempt to teach MP users to taxi rather than zooming off across the dispersal areas.   

6 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

OK - so landing on a road and turning around/taking off from the direction you came probably not doable.

Also no taxi into a field/then return to road.

Landing on a road, stopping, taking off (continuing same direction) doable.

Thanks guys.

I did some tests on Moscow Winter and it seemed like this was fine. I was able to land near an industrial site, turn around (off road in the snow), circle around and take-off in the opposite direction.

po-2-winter-roadway.jpg

Then for kicks I landed on the frozen ice in one of the locks. Turned around there and took-off again too!

po-2-lock-takeoff.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

managed to land it in a muddy field between trees, Managed to get it unstuck by going ful throttle for about a minute. Got up to 40km/h on rough terrain but i had to stop because of trees. Broke a wing while turning around and overheated my engine. But i guess if you can get to a road or in winter a frozen river it would be fine. Or you land on a hill and start downhil.