Badger343rd

Tank controls are ridiculous

19 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Since we're here... how do I get to the .50 on top of the Sherman? Please.

Thanks.

Press T

4 hours ago, =362nd_FS=RoflSeal said:

How do you change the visor for the driver/mg gunner?

Find "close visor" (or something) in the control settings for the tank

6 minutes ago, KARAYA1 said:

Press T

Find "close visor" (or something) in the control settings for the tank

I will try.

Thank you.

On 3/29/2019 at 6:07 PM, CanadaOne said:

Since we're here... how do I get to the .50 on top of the Sherman? Please.

Thanks.

Turn out and use the controls you use when you are a gunner in a plane.

for tank controls I use rudder pedals to turn left and right, my throttle quadrant for engine controls and my mouse for turret controls.  Seems pretty intuitive to me.

• Upvote 2

Might be just me but I can´t  change "range" (minus - ). For starters the semicolon key is Shift+ semicolon key,  so in order to press Right-Alt + semicolon, I need to press R-Alt+Shift+ semicolon which in turn does nothing. But Right-Alt+ period does increase my range.  I can increase my range (+), but if I want to decrease (minus -) my range all I can do is reset it back to "0" because the above key combo dosent work.

Is anyone having the same problem, or is this a bug/issue for now?

Thanks

only thing i have with the controls is that i think, turret movement shouldnt be mappable to mouse (the movement feels unrealistic) and i think mouse has a advantage over all else.

as its more intuitive and faster to control the tank itself with the keyboard (so turning the tank) and moving the turret at the same time with the mouse.

but thats just me :)

My biggest issue with the controls is how key mapping for a tank crosses over into aircraft. Like I configured a button on my throttle to switch seats in tanks. Then sometime later I went flying with a JU88 at low alt. The same button I assigned to switch seats in tanks happens to be the same button I use to keep the camera holding zero. So I press the button to hold my camera still, let off, then bam I'm now in the gunner seat, followed by an explosion as I smack into the ground...  I would greatly prefer if tank controls only worked in tanks and that way the same controls do not overlap or conflict with using our flight controls.

I also agree with the suggestions for better turret rotation using a joystick/mouse. 

It would also be nice if the high visibility visor could be usable without having to use VR. Because with just trackIR, the high vis visor is more like a periscope looking through either optic instead of both at the same time.

Edited by Geronimo553

7 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

My biggest issue with the controls is how key mapping for a tank crosses over into aircraft.

Why is that a problem?  I see it as a good feature.  I can use the same setup for changing positions on an aircraft that I use in a tank.  It makes it easier to set up my controllers.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Why is that a problem?  I see it as a good feature.  I can use the same setup for changing positions on an aircraft that I use in a tank.  It makes it easier to set up my controllers.

It should be possible to configure both vehicles separately for the same control. However currently for players like myself, I only need a seat change button for tanking. Thus the key command is a conflict for me as now the same controls perform the same function in aircraft where I do not need that particular key assignment. Having the control configs separate and independent from tank or aircraft would drastically reduce any potential conflicts as this is a UI issue. Besides the controls are already in separate categories between tank and plane so it makes sense this should not happen.

Edited by Geronimo553

1 minute ago, Geronimo553 said:

It should be possible to configure both separately for the same control. But for players like me I only need a seat change button for tanks. Thus it is a conflict as the now the same controls performs the same function in aircraft where I do not need that key assignment. Having the control configs separate and independent from tank or aircraft would drastically reduce any potential conflicts.  Besides the controls are already in separate categories between tank and plane so it makes sense this should not happen.

It would be ideal if they had the same control setup that RoF has.  But since they decided to go in a different direction, using the same controls to switch positions in a tank and aircraft seems to be the best alternative.

1 minute ago, BraveSirRobin said:

It would be ideal if they had the same control setup that RoF has.  But since they decided to go in a different direction, using the same controls to switch positions in a tank and aircraft seems to be the best alternative.

For a player like you using the same key config in both tank and aircraft, yes it is a benefit. For a player like me this is a problem as now I have to find another place to assign this key to prevent conflicting controls. Then for some people, they do not have room for additional key bindings to overcome this issue thus now they are stuck with the not so optimal default compound key command. It is an issue that needs addressed to provide a flexible configuration for everyone and their own preferences. Also there are other keys that conflict as well and I only pointed out one to provide the example. So this can quickly turn into a mixed controls nightmare for someone new setting up their configurations.

1 hour ago, Geronimo553 said:

So this can quickly turn into a mixed controls nightmare for someone new setting up their configurations.

I really don't see the problem here. I have set a easy setting for the important positions in the tank, like the gunner and the commander, using a hat switch. I can easy have 4 positions addressed on the same 4- direction hat switch

I would like to control the turret with a hat from the joystick and having also a command to bring the turret straight to the forward position.

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan

On 2/1/2019 at 9:56 AM, Pajeka said:

I  use one of these (purchased relatively cheaply off a well known auction channel), solely for TC, works great.  Particularly using the joystick (X,Y & Z axis when using JoytoKey) for steering. It can also supplement other switch panels when used with BoX. I use it in VR, and whilst the switches are not the most robust or  tactile they are easy to find and use.

https://www.logitechg.com/en-roeu/products/farm/farm-simulator-side-panel.html

I was going to laugh, but then I realized this device is absolute genius. Thanks for the tip.

13 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan said:

I would like to control the turret with a hat from the joystick and having also a command to bring the turret straight to the forward position.

Press T and the turret will go straight forward 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan said:

Tank turret - like aircraft gun stations, is controllable only with mouse, correct?

JoyToKey allow set HAT movements for make mouse cursor movements.

https://www.memuplay.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/joytokey-mouse.png

I guess that probable will find that HAT lack the finesse of control for small aim corrections.

On 5/21/2019 at 2:33 AM, Sokol1 said:

Tank turret - like aircraft gun stations, is controllable only with mouse, correct?

Yes, 

How do you prevent turret from returning to center position when you RETURN to gunner position?   This happens only on Tiger ...not T34 which allows you to move gun, leave gunner position and return to gunner position without gun automatically trying to return to centered.

13 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

How do you prevent turret from returning to center position when you RETURN to gunner position?   This happens only on Tiger ...not T34 which allows you to move gun, leave gunner position and return to gunner position without gun automatically trying to return to centered.

That I also want to know.

As a new player (since yesterday, for most because I can play SP (we have terrible internet)) I have a lot of troubles with the controls of this game.

I play a hotas  (thrustmaster T16000M + throttle unit) but I am not a pilot or a gamer, I only played tanks (since 1 year) I am thinking about adding a plane version too but I must first find out how (in WT I just started with planes a few weeks ago, but only in custom battles using full control and in sim mode)

So now I have a game with controls I can not even imagine what they do, because I do not know IL-2 planes. I am already over 20 hours of trial and error.  I now use my trackball, joystick and throttle unit (MKB is no option for my situation) and it is now kinda usable but very uncomfortable. It is a constant struggle to keep vision using combinations of devices because that is the only way I can get it to work. F.i playing the driver with closed hatch, I need the top-hat from my joystick to position close to the visor, use the trackball wheel to zoom in, use buttons and trackball on the throttle unit to position the head so I can look outside and if I switch to turret I must not touch my joystick because that resets the pov-switch I use to aim the gun (the only way I get it working) I looked for youtube tutorials but there in not much. to find. 

There are so many X,Y axis and I have no clue what most of them do. Also strange things like mouse X, Y in the first column and on the second column again, but now the mouse with the RMB  so if you use that, your machine gun goes off. Many things seem to do nothing. So probably planes only. In WT I have a separate setup for tanks and one for planes. But in TC I can not even save a set-up. I must write everything on paper so I know how to revert things if it gets worse instead of better. I read here that plane and tank setup can conflict. Must I delete all airplane commands ? But it looks like some tank things need to be set in the plane section. 

The biggest problem is turret/gun aiming. If I bind the joystick to the pilots head (after many hours I found out the pilot also works for a tank) But there seems to be more because if I test things by removing/replacing sometimes strange things happen. If it works reasonable normal, things go wrong if I press T. If aiming goes well the normal looking around goes wrong. 

It tells if keys are used more as ones, and give you a nice list for what. But there are commands listed I can not set anywhere. At this moment it works as long as I do not take turret command because then the joystick stops. But the trackball does work. 

There are many cams, some do not work, some are broken and from others I have no clue what they are for or I can not fined how to control them. 

I can not use the sense set-up tool (to set a sense-curve for an axis) It works if I reboot, but I can use it 1x and  then it becomes unresponsive again.

If I start the game via the launcher I can not stop it 100%, it keeps telling it is closing background processes. If I start it without the launcher I do can exit the game normal. 

Do not understand me wrong, if  I get it to work I think I will like it. I love it that I finally find a "game" that positions the Tiger like the beast it was instead of a box hitpoints. I was testing controls when a group T34 found me. I think I was hit 20 times or so before I killed them.  The sound effects are great too. So the crippled testdriver were promising. Because this is a commercial product, I hoped  to find a bit more in-game and out-game info/tutorials. 

Edited by pa4tim
  • Upvote 1

1. Download joy2key 3rd party software.

2. Lookfor posts here on tank forum by Thad...many of his posts have a list of the tank controls.

3. Mapthe in game tank controls to your hotas controller in ways that make sense to you.

4. don't be afraid to revise your mapping of controls to your controllers as you learn what might work better.

5.practice makes perfect. Since you're not already a pilot or tanker or gamer you've got to put in seat time to develop muscle and brain memory using your controllers.

6. Enjoy the ride!

• Upvote 1

I removed all settings and started from scratch and now it is working usable. I could not get the joystick working for aiming but the rest now works. I have more or less the same set up but I removed everything I did not needed.  I miss the laser-like uberstabile joystick aim I have in WT , but for now I can play. My joystick came with similar software. I needed that for WoT too but it stayed cumbersome. WT was no problem.  I hope TC will improve it towards tanks.

Thanks, I will look up the posts you mention. (I am not completely green, I played over 17k battles in WoT and WT. ) I still play WT because I like it very much but their sim is not sim enough for me. Is there a way to drive manual ? (so do the shifting myself)

I played my first mission in the Tiger and that was fun. I like that more as the 15 against 15 kill 'm all 5 minute battles. I even ran out of amo after killing a lot of trucks and arti,  the second battle I got stuck on something. I think a rock or so. This is a great piece of software. Also did some night driving, that was very cool (in the snow with headlights until I drowned while crossing a (not so) frozen river)

By the way, when I bought it the website mentioned more tanks as I see. Where do I find those ?  I miss the Panther, Ferdinand, SU-122 and SU152, 

If I want to learn to fly , what do I have to buy as an extension for tank crew because this looks even better as WT? (and I can use off-line for SP)

Edited by pa4tim

Tank Crew is very much WIP.

There isn't a very specific DM for tanks, the Panther, Ferdinand, T-34-76 Su-122, Su-152, and SPAA units are not completed yet. 

These will come as the product nears completion.

If you want a plane set that would probably build on the tanks, the Kuban planes the closest you can get timeline-wise to Kursk. Any of the Eastern Front expansions will work well enough though.

Why would one use joysticks for the tanks? Keyboard to drive and mouse to aim works well. As in any shooter.

Besides, the idea of using delicate input for steering a tank is rather unrealistic. Any tanker I‘ve ever come across reveals him being or having been a tanker at some point in his life when you see him driving any vehicle. (post tanker driving disorder)

Milopugdog: I saw in youtube videos, it is WIP but those were almost a year old. On the other hand, it is nice to see there is constant development. Many of the short-comings mentioned then are now implemented, and as a Tiger fan I am already happy.

I am interested in WWII and tanks (the real ones, not those in games) since the 80's.  I builded my own joystick back then, but I almost never played games.

Zacharias: I can relate to that, after many years of off road driving in classic Landrovers. I once drove a normal car and when I saw a parking space I drove straight to it, the car owner panicked and stopped me because there was a block of concreet in front of us. The size was neglectable for my 101FC but not for a low sportive car.

For me personal, this joystick comes closer to driving a WW2 tank as a keyboard and mouse. Not that it is absolute more real, but between my ears it is.

Besides that, I like the feel of it much more (and most important there is  a medical reason) When I started playing WoT I builded an other joystick because WoT did not support sticks. ,  It was for me an improvement over a keyboard and when it needed mods for WT and I wanted to add many switches a commercial one was cheaper.

So I  bought the T16000M + throttle. Mostly because the ADC's in there have high resolution, it is hall based what makes it very smooth and it feels very industrial.  I can with ease position the cursor very precise.  The software that came with it, made it fully configurable. However, I prefer the controller-set section in WT over an external software layer. .

Because TC supports planes I probably expected to much regarding joystick support. If they make it possible to support a joystick for aiming instead of a mouse,  I would be very happy. And fix the bugs in the sensitivity set-up part. I use the same axis to zoom for most zoom functions. All but one of them give the sense setup 4 quadrant picture on the right. Besides that, the settings seem to do nothing. 

BTW The joystick made me playing planes. But only because I could try that in WT for free. If I had known IL-2 TC before I started WT I probably never would have played planes because I had no interest. .

If I was IL-2 I would add a plane to TC, that is the easiest way to get TC players buying upgrades and play planes too. 

Can I buy a plane campaign https://il2sturmovik.com/store/campaigns/ as a start ? I see time mentioned in the description, does that mean I can only play a campaign once and then also loose the plane ?

Edited by pa4tim

On 6/2/2019 at 1:52 AM, pa4tim said:

Can I buy a plane campaign https://il2sturmovik.com/store/campaigns/ as a start ? I see time mentioned in the description, does that mean I can only play a campaign once and then also loose the plane ?

You have to own the plane in question in order to fly the game, which means those are two separate items that need to be purchased.

Bought the battle of bodenplatten. So now I can fly but have twice the problems. I also need to read better because I also bought the 10 days of autumn campaign. Turns out you need an other battle pack for that.   

I can not get things 100% right for planes and tanks at the same time. I can get the tanks really very good using the joy2key software from thrustmaster. And I got the planes (i think) good without that. I must say, I think this is even better as WT.  Taking of and landing is a hell lot more difficult. The first is not a big problem, the latter is kinda adventures....(lets say it this way, I am glad it is a pixel plane)

But sadly I must shut down the game and reboot the PC if I want to switch from tank to plane. (otherwise strange things happen) one time I had to type in all settings again because the battle had renamed the joystick from 0 to 1 and the throttler from 1 to 2 and this way half the controls where missing and the rest a mess. An other time I lost sound. And sometimes I could not use the esc key.  But I think I have it now workable (as long as I not switch from tanks to planes and vv)

I think I played an hour since I bought TC and spend over 30 hours getting it (close too) to working it the way I want.

And all that work only to get a usable turret-aim with my joystick.  And even then turret control is not very handy. The tank commander (=player)must be able to turn the turret also while driving. (like in real tanks by commanding the gunner or like in tanks that have extra controls for the commander)

I wish there was an option to save controller setups like in WT. That would make it a lot more easy to experiment.

Can I backup some files by hand ,so I can switch more easy/safe ?

The topic starter is right. I think they need to look a bit deeper in the integration from the tank and plane regarding the controls. 

The controls could be so much more easy if they skip the whole keyboard multi-keystrokes control drama and use a mouse to control the switches in the cockpit. That would make it also much more realistic and more easy. I have seen that in a video from an other tank sim (steel beasts  ?) and in a plane-sim (forgot the name) Are there really people here that know all the over 200 key (combinations) from the top of their head ...

And about wishing: I miss a garage setup like in WoT and WT where you can do the configuration, look at the camos, choose the amo etc.

I was to quick about good info. It turns out there is a lot made by the community but hidden (for a new player) well within this forum. 

So, now I finally can play a while (I hope)

Do any of you play Steel Beasts Pro or Steel Armor?  I've been playing tank sims for years and I've never used my HOTAS for a tank sim.  I do find the controls for the tanks wonky in IL2 though I will admit, but not because of wanting to use my HOTAS.  It just doesn't make sense to me.  Just my opinion of course.

On 6/2/2019 at 5:52 AM, pa4tim said:

... T16000M + throttle. Mostly because the ADC's in there have high resolution, it is hall based what makes it very smooth and it feels very industrial.  I can with ease position the cursor very precise.  The software that came with it, made it fully configurable. However, I prefer the controller-set section in WT over an external software layer. 

Well, be design choice, tank turrets controls an plane gunners controls are the same, and simplified to be controlled like in popular FPS game, just with keyboard and mouse.

A fact that we need accept. ;)

Then you need rely in 3rd part software for set things more closed to the way you want - what may are viable, may are not.

Want control tank turret with joystick? Use your joystick software (TARGET)  and set joystick X,Y axes movements for emulate mouse movement - or try with the mentioned JoyToKey.

BTW - In more than 20 years of "flight simulation" I have seem only one plane turret programmed to be effective controlled with joystick, the upper turret of IL-2:Clod Fiat Br.20, and work very well.But happens that most of players - in their casual approach for planes turrets, don't understand this control option, complain that axis are inverted and the "mod" team who keep development for that (basically failed) game remove the joystick control in favor of mouse control.

This show that keep the old formula of "mouse + keyboard" for planes and tanks turrets is not wrong from point of view of developers.

I surrendered to the mouse, to much of a hassle to get two working setups. I changed things and I must say, the result is not bad. I use the throttle unit for switching things (has a lot of switches), the joystick for driving the tank (what is a joy to do), the top POV switch to look around. I used the snap functions for the driver and the TC so I can switch easy from visor to visor. That is a very nice function. And my mouse (trackball) for aiming. I have set up the mouse so it reacts very slow and precise. I use a POV to do the coarse moving and the mouse for the long distance stuff. As a test I shot 4 moving trucks at 2km distance, (3 one shotters).

What not really fits in a sim and can be very problematic if you need to react fast, is that the gun-sight is not fixed to the gun-sight camera. If you turn the camera faster as the turret (so most of the time) the camera follows the gunner and not the gun-sight.  The picture gets black and then it is a hell of a job to find the picture again. In a way this is very realistic because you can get this effect as the gunner turns his head faster as the turret but only an untrained monkey would do such a stupid thing. 

Now the plane setup is also trouble free and I can switch tank to planes without changing things. 

Planes is a lot harder then in WT arcade (my only experience). It took me many trials to get my FW-190 from the ground, but it went better every trial. (and after watching some how to video ) I really like doing all the manual stuff.

If  I remember well, the first videogames where all joystick. On home computers like the Atari's and commodore 64 the joystick ruled.  However, the first serious Fly-sim was for a PC (IBM PC or compatible) and used only a keyboard (I think the mouse was not born yet, I worked in the computer HW business in the 80's, but my memory is only 8 bit so I can be wrong...)

I had no money to buy a joystick during my study so I build my first joystick from junkbox parts, that must be around 1984 (but I did not use it for games) 

I find it it disturbing that I cannot use head tracking when controlling the turret from open hatch. If I release the turret control to check out my surroundings the turret returns to 12 o'clock position. Or is there a way to look around you without the turret returning to forward position?

I really hope the devs copy as much as they can how things are made in Steel Beasts Pro.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:03 AM, Sokol1 said:

Well, be design choice, tank turrets controls an plane gunners controls are the same, and simplified to be controlled like in popular FPS game, just with keyboard and mouse.

A fact that we need accept. ;)

On 6/4/2019 at 7:09 PM, Nightstalker said:

Do any of you play Steel Beasts Pro or Steel Armor?  I've been playing tank sims for years and I've never used my HOTAS for a tank sim.  I do find the controls for the tanks wonky in IL2 though I will admit, but not because of wanting to use my HOTAS.  It just doesn't make sense to me.  Just my opinion of course.

I would like to repeat a few things that already have been typed (by different fellow gamers) in this subforum but need to be typed again:
NO.. it is NOT acceptable to have "FPS aim" for tanks, not if you just don't care that much about them, or see them as "just a bomber turret" or "because War Thunder and WoT, CoD, BF whatever do it"

Il2:TC is a TankSIM, not an alt-avatar shooter (which WT and WoT are, that even is their internal mission statement) - the desire to control a tank turret with a joystick is a desire for immersion and fidelity (modern tanks control their turrets with yokes, joysticks, and yes, WW2 tanks had wheels... but also buttons when using electric drives) - and a joystick translates the feel of "moving the turret and aiming the gun" better than a mouse.
So players would like to experience that, at least in singleplayer, maybe even in MP (if the pacing and gameplay design allows for it) - in native controls, not via feasable, but still "should be optional" workarounds.

Steel Beasts mouse centric approach is due to its history (like DCS, its code started for real turret/Zielhang simulators) - and the code was built using the COM/UI protocols, because the Hardstands were using that I/O interface, and so did PC-mouses, and then it never changed.
And if you look at SB, you create a (visible) slew-input until you drag the reticle over the target - you do not at all "FPS-aim". It also works very well because it translates nicely fidelitywise in cold war era / modern MBT/AGS/ATGM vehicles, both in feel and looks (although.. in reality, they still use joysticks, trackballs and yokes... even a Dingo with a remote top-MG uses a ministick/screen setup, so does every current RFV/hybrid-autonomous prototype. Also some yoke setups in MBTs are fascinatingly un-intuitive and non-ergonomic, fe the early Challenger.. but then.. just look at British flightsticks from the Spitfire up to the Bucaneer...eyebrow-raising stuff)

In IL2:TC on the other hand, you move an invisble cursor and define a xy-enpoint coordinate, and the turret/gun moves to that coordinate, aka pure FPS AIM - you define a pixelprecise aim-endpoint, you do not move the turret/gun to - maybe - hit something by how you moved it while looking through your optics.
Even a very basic (and poor) FPS-product like "Post Scriptum" manages to better purvey the clunkyness, weight and non-precision of aiming a WW2 turret/gun (in this case by limiting controls to WASD input... which works.. but should not be remotely considered for TC, well... maybe as a second possible input binding).

So even if TC would stick with mouse-only controls (why? we can even fly the planes with a mouse, why is the other way round suddenly a problem) - the approach to mouse controls needs iteration.
We need to move and  aim the turret/gun in a direct input translation, not aim an FPS style xy-endpoint-coordinate with the turret/gun just "autoslewing" onto that aimpoint (indirect input translation)

Of course this could be more accurately described by going into a more technical zero-order/first-order control description.. defining fe jerk as additional sub-factors... but.. the 1C knows all that better than us.. and we among ourselves need not be that pedantic (I hope).

So the valid request still stands - please make TC gun controls proper (again), please allow joystick (even dualstick.. as I described in my HOSAS/HOTSAS thread) controls for us to properly enjoy "Tank Crew" to its fullest potential.

Edited by =RFBS=RogoRogo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just did some trials. The aim controls for the tank gunner are "pilot head turn and bow" The pov switch can do the same as the mouse and if I add the mini joystick on my throttle unit instead or parallel to the mouse I can look around with both like I do with the mouse as long as I not take control of the gun and the sight. 

But as soon as I take control of a gun and look through the sight only the mouse and the pov switch can controls the turret. The mini joystick but also the big joystick can not control the turret anymore even without the mouse. 

A bit weird, also the num keys 1 to 9 can control the aiming  of the turret gun. They are bound to the head snap keys so are also able to aim the gun. But that mechanisme is wrong. The gunners head movement has nothing to do with aiming. That he needs to take control of the gun is OK, in real he also have to do that. Then puts his face for the sight. This is also OK.

But then it goes wrong. The gunner has to control the turret rotation and gun elevation but not with his head. Then you get the problem that the pilot can move his head much faster as the gun can follow. This is very real but only if the aiming  is controlled by the gunner cq player and synced because in real the gunner follows the gun sight. 

So we mis the sync mechanisme.

Besides that, it is strange that a joystick can control the pilots head but not if he looks through the sight. 

Also turns out the pz IIIL only switches between gunner and driver. Where is the commander ?

Edited by pa4tim

On 5/20/2019 at 12:23 AM, Geronimo553 said:

My biggest issue with the controls is how key mapping for a tank crosses over into aircraft. Like I configured a button on my throttle to switch seats in tanks. Then sometime later I went flying with a JU88 at low alt. The same button I assigned to switch seats in tanks happens to be the same button I use to keep the camera holding zero. So I press the button to hold my camera still, let off, then bam I'm now in the gunner seat, followed by an explosion as I smack into the ground...  I would greatly prefer if tank controls only worked in tanks and that way the same controls do not overlap or conflict with using our flight controls.

I also agree with the suggestions for better turret rotation using a joystick/mouse. 

It would also be nice if the high visibility visor could be usable without having to use VR. Because with just trackIR, the high vis visor is more like a periscope looking through either optic instead of both at the same time.

+1 I've stopped using Tank Crew until I can take the time to go in and remap the controls for the tank, making sure they don't conflict with my aircraft  mapping. I'd like to use my joystick to sew the turret left or right (aileron axis) while raising/lowering the gunsite (elevator axis). I have a Cougar, and I'd like to program the various tank crew functions to my HOTAS. I use my throttle for forward and reverse, and use my rudder pedals for l/r turns. Works fine. Just wish the devs hadn't stopped short of full HOTA implementation for the tanks.

Flyby out   

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ACG-Flyby said:

+1 I've stopped using Tank Crew until I can take the time to go in and remap the controls for the tank, making sure they don't conflict with my aircraft  mapping. I'd like to use my joystick to sew the turret left or right (aileron axis) while raising/lowering the gunsite (elevator axis). I have a Cougar, and I'd like to program the various tank crew functions to my HOTAS. I use my throttle for forward and reverse, and use my rudder pedals for l/r turns. Works fine. Just wish the devs hadn't stopped short of full HOTA implementation for the tanks.

Flyby out   

Completely agree, in the meantime the rudder paddle on the throttle works well for switching seats as I have found. I also use pedals for rudder control so this prevents conflicting controls.

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Like 1

In War Thunder I use the rudder paddle to steer the tracks. You can define a separate Left and right brake to steer. I shift gears with the up-down switch and a switch next to that to set the tank in neutral. The trottle slider to rev the engine. To drive backwards I shift in to reverse and then operate the trottle. I do not mind if TC also would go a bit further in more realistic tank controls but it is no deal braker for me. 

21 hours ago, pa4tim said:

Also turns out the pz IIIL only switches between gunner and driver. Where is the commander ?

I have to correct myself, the L version seems to be a "generic" tank and not one made for TC. 

Is there any timeline for development. I turns out I know bought  two works in  progress ? I bought Bodenplatte first because it has my country (the Netherlands) on its map but I can not find it or it is not yet finished.

And I know, after been one shotted a few times by AI pretty fast in a PZ IV-M and T34, I  fully appreciate the mighty Tiger and beast of a KV-1 soacking up a lot of damage. I have no problems taking out a convoy of T34 in the Tiger but a convoy of T34 has no problem taking out a PZ-IV/M. 

I am new in buying games and I was thinking that the early thing for Bodenplatte ment that it comes with the things mentioned in the store but I could expect more to come later.  TC came already with the high res tank map area (as far as I understand) so I was a bit surprised Bodenplatte came without a map or I do something wrong. 

Is this a long time thing ? (like 2 years) or short like a few months ? 

To get more a feeling of the real thing I just  bought my self an early birthday present in the form of BOM to have at least one complete campaign, (but this time after looking at reviews etc ).  So I now can play some campaigns/missions and use the 10 day autumn campaign too.

2 hours ago, pa4tim said:

I bought Bodenplatte first because it has my country (the Netherlands) on its map but I can not find it or it is not yet finished.

You bough an Early Access of Battle of Bodenplatte - in IL-2:GB Early Access series means that you will receive finalized planes of the package to fly on maps already available - Stalingrad and/or Moscow, Kuban, or if don't have any of this maps in a small portion of Stalingrad map - Lapino, until Bodenplate map was finished.

Based in previous releases the map came more close to release data - what is just the release of the latter plane of package and final adjusts of the game.

https://il2sturmovik.com/news/360/announcing-battle-bodenplatte-flying-circus-tank-c/

Edited by Sokol1

Since the update yesterday there is a new control added for tanks. It is called "gear limiter switch up"  and "gear limiter switch down"  They do nothing in idle but If the tank is moving you can shift up (I think preventing the tank shifting up sooner by "itself" (the game software) or force a shift down. (the shift stick moves and you hear a clunk sound from the transmission) 

If you drive and then shift it in some position the tank does not goes up a higher gear if you throttle up. If you slow down and then throttle up the tank again it does not shift over the previous set gear limit. 

I am not sure how you are suppose to use it other as a possibly to shift down while going uphill.  Maybe the start of more real like motor management for tanks. 

I would love to see manual shifting, track brakes for steering. More motor management like operating a choke for petrol and glowing for a diesel would be fun but not very useful. I think there is not much more to regulate on most tanks. Did tanks out that eara have manual ignition timing ? 

Some had a second engine for "parked" operation.

And some tanks had airplane star-engines including manual pre start operations. 

Edit, found this : https://il2sturmovik.com/news/478/update-3101/

A lot of other cool features added, I am a happy tanker

Edited by pa4tim