Sign in to follow this  
jussitska

ME-110 taxiin

Hello....

I´m very young pilot...almost 70..heh..

Problem...Where I can find some tutorial, how to taxi ME -109. Brakes do not help...rudder do not help....Bird spin all time to right.. 

kindly Jussi from cold Finland

• Upvote 1

Try revving the engine to get some airflow onto the rudder and a bit of speed to give the brakes some effect. :)

• Upvote 1

- To reduce swinging during taxiing due to prop-wash it is necessary to use asymmetrical engines thrust. It is recommended to give the left engine 20% more power. Also, the propeller pitch control should be switched to manual mode and pitch should be reduced to minimum.

1 hour ago, I./ZG1_Dutchvdm said:

- To reduce swinging during taxiing due to prop-wash it is necessary to use asymmetrical engines thrust. It is recommended to give the left engine 20% more power. Also, the propeller pitch control should be switched to manual mode and pitch should be reduced to minimum.

It is automatically at Minimum, only at Full Throttle and about 150km/h does the Prop start to Adjust. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

It is automatically at Minimum, only at Full Throttle and about 150km/h does the Prop start to Adjust. 

I quoted the gamenotes. It was mainly for the extra power for the left engine, what really helps for me.

grt M

Try using manual propeller pitch and set it to the 12 o'clock position before taxiing.

I always taxi in automatic with no issues though...so double check that you have your wheel brakes assigned correctly as well since the 109 uses toe brakes and not a lever

• Upvote 1

Thanks for advises, but nothing...what I did try..did not work. BF-110 spin all time to righ. No differential brakes, no rudder even propeller pitch control to minimum work by no means.

I did watch video, and there did say, that the right differential brake must use...I do not understand...Plane is turning to right all ready, whit out  doing nothing...

Sorry my English.. it s very sleazy. Hope that You can understand.. what I try explain.

kindly Jussi

Äi hättä, sina vahaa hyvää Englantie puhua.  Better than my Finnish writing and I have spent 8 years in the country.

Do you have rudder on a stick control?  Like a twist stick based joy stick?  When not at home, I find setting brakes to a button and using twist stick rudder, the brakes behave well enough. 

Also use some back stick when taxiing to weight the tail wheel.  Seems to work with me with my 110 Moscow career when on occasion I do make it home in 1 piece.

Wasn't there a certain bug or a weird setting combination that caused this? I think I've seen this posted before - plane spinning on the ground no matter what.

@jussitska

1. do you have this problem only with Bf 110 or is it with all twin engine aircraft?

2. Do you have the same problem with single engined aircraft?

3. If you start in the air, does your Bf 110 respond normally to your joystick input (especially rudder)?

Edited by CrazyDuck

Because I don't have toe brakes, I assigned two keys to be my left and right differential brakes (Q and E in my case) and that makes taxiing in the Bf110 fairly easy. Throttle up slowly and get on the counter brake almost immediately. The rudder is almost completely useless until you are working on takeoff speed.

I don't know if the bug is in offline play but on a Multiplay Server, when starting 110 engines, there is a bug in the throttle which starts your engine with full power on after the startup routine. 

Really annoying, you have to deselect your engines and reselect them to get throttle control back.

• Upvote 2

No asymmetrical thrust needed from the engines. 

Rules I use

1. Brakes are terrible.

2. Half thrust to begin moving

3. Once moving, IMMEDIATELY retard thrust to around 18%-21%

4. Use hard right rudder and some right brake to remain straight

5. Remember, thrust helps you turn, but brakes are terrible (see rule 1)

Remember...when applying thrust, apply brake and rudder as well. Because the braking is so poor, you really have to "dance" on the rudder and brake. The 110 taxiis just fine. It's just a combination of thrust, brake, and rudder in a balancing act.

Just keep trying. And remember, SEPARATE brakes are very important.

Edited by =BAIT=CG_Justin
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Jussi,

Back when I first fired up the game, I was having the same problem and eventually discovered my Left/Right wheel brakes were inverted. You can push the brakes and look down to see if the virtual pilot's foot is pushing the same brake side that you are pushing. If they are inverted, you can click on the arrow box on the right side of the L/R brake boxes in Settings/Key Mapping/Plane Controls.

Edited by StG77_HvB

Thank You ( finnish Kiitos) again..I try to learn.

I do not understand, why i have to use right brake and rudder.....Plane is turning to right ready???

Edited by jussitska

^ Because if everything's normal, planes with clockwise-turning propellers tend to want to turn left. 

In this case, however, to me it sounds like you've got your controls or engine selection not sorted properly and you throttle up only your left engine instead of both of them. 

Edited by Art-J

9 hours ago, CrazyDuck said:

Wasn't there a certain bug or a weird setting combination that caused this? I think I've seen this posted before - plane spinning on the ground no matter what.

@jussitska

1. do you have this problem only with Bf 110 or is it with all twin engine aircraft?

3. If you start in the air, does your Bf 110 respond normally to your joystick input (especially rudder)?

Yes

No

Yes

Slow your rate of throttle increase? You do need to put on your brake and rudder pretty hard as once the aircraft start to swivel they generally are quite hard to stop. I have never used differential engine power settings, but instead am cautious in applying power and have judicious use of the brakes. The trick is to be one step ahead.

On the ground I would generally do things slowly - generally no points for fast taxi.

For me the best advice on taxing and take-off was the one I got from DerSheriff's videos... Keep an eye on the yaw indicator and correct the yaw immediately (pedals, brakes, asymmetric throttle), because the indicator shows it much earlier than you see it visually. This is especially important with planes that does not have a tailwheel lock.

After this advice I've had no problems with Ju-88, which was a donut-maker for me in the early days.

Edited by Hanu
spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Slow your rate of throttle increase? You do need to put on your brake and rudder pretty hard as once the aircraft start to swivel they generally are quite hard to stop. I have never used differential engine power settings, but instead am cautious in applying power and have judicious use of the brakes. The trick is to be one step ahead.

On the ground I would generally do things slowly - generally no points for fast taxi.

^^
This is what works for me as well. I only have one throttle lever, so I almost never bother with differential power settings, as it is too cumbersome to switch between them (in time).

1) advance throttle to get ~1500 RPM. Aircraft should start moving forward.
2) As soon as it starts moving, immediately idle the throttle (or use very low power setting) and use toe brakes and rudder to steer in desired direction.
3) Go to step 1) and repeat until you're settled on the runway.

Somewhere in this forum I read one thing that really should be chiseled in stone and definitely helped me with taxiing: as soon as you start a turn, think about stopping it. (Thanks, unknown author... 😉)

Edited by J2_Jakob

No need at all for differential power in 110 E2 or G2 to turn 180* left or right just Toe Brakes mainly and a little rudder.

• Upvote 1

Thank You all very much...Now I can do it. Even take-off and landing!!

Now hard training ...by the way.. My profile photo is from my 70th anniversary.

Kindly Jussi

• Upvote 3

Good job Jussi!

Kind of heartwarming to see community on it's best, advice coming very fast from left and right 👍

22 hours ago, jussitska said:

Hello....

I´m very young pilot...almost 70..heh..

Problem...Where I can find some tutorial, how to taxi ME -109. Brakes do not help...rudder do not help....Bird spin all time to right.. 

kindly Jussi from cold Finland

Your title says you are having issues taxiing the 110?? but your actual question you are asking about tutorial about taxiing a 109? 109s have a tail wheel lock and the 110 does not. if you are trying to make a tight corner you have to release the tail wheel lock and once you have finished your tight turn and want to taxi straight you should re lock your tail wheel other wise you will spin uncontrollably.  Turning a 109 with the tail wheel locked will make it hard to turn tight  and using the independent left and right brakes will also help. 

110s dont have this tail wheel lock but have the left and right brakes. and are easier to maneuvering on the ground taxiing.

• Upvote 1