Sign in to follow this  
Dogbert1953

ROF Free To Play

I came across this yesterday and downloaded and installed.

Only three aircraft but good enough to have a look at the sim.

Question : Does ROF give me a good idea of what FC is like before i buy it.

In regards graphics, flight model, realism etc.

Thanks very much.

Mike.

2 minutes ago, Dogbert1953 said:

Thanks very much.

Mike.

ROF has many more set up options such as individual tuning of the axis per aircraft which FC doesnt have. Graphically FC is better in my opinion but is still a work in progress so is very limited in features at this time (no map, few aircraft, no career etc etc). Personally ROF never gripped me but for whatever reason i do enjoy flying the FC stuff even in its limited present state. 

• Thanks 1

If you want more aircraft, a proper career, more maps, then buy RoF... no question about it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much for the info and advice boys.  👍 👍

I realise that FC is early release. Perhaps i should have said, is FC likely to be better than ROF in the long run.

Not really looking to buy ROF as i believe it is an old game.

Just using the free version as a comparison to FC.

As always your opinions are much appreciated.

Mike.

Edited by Dogbert1953
grammar

@Dogbert1953

If you like flying WW1 air combat then the simple answer is 'both'.

Definitely support FC with a purchase, but RoF is free and you can just buy the odd additional planes along the way according to desire.  (If you ask me you don't really need more than the Spad anyway! :) ) But there are seasonal sales that make plane purchases very cheap, probably usd15-20 for another 5 planes should cover it. In fact your largest outlay is for joystick, TiR and potentially pedals, the cost of the Sims and planes is very small compared to those!

Imho FC won't be better until it has 2-3 volumes and a bunch of other premium/add-on planes. That could be a very long time. In the meantime RoF has lots of planes to choose from, rich mission possibilities, and a passionate core of users who engage in weekly flyins and around 4-5 superb annual tournaments.

Don't be put off because it's an old title, it was well made, and is aging very well.

RoF also enjoys good community support, with plenty of 'furball' servers, an excellent training server, expert servers and a number of active Squadrons.

All the skills you pick up will translate directly to Flying Circus

Again, if you like WW1 Sims, it's a no-brainer. Fly both.

Edited by US103_Baer
  • Thanks 1

Hi US103_Baer,

thank you for your very in depth answer. Bit confusing with the free version and updating to the full game. As i read there is also a version called ROF United. I looked at the aircraft DLC and yes they are a very reasonable price. I think i prefer WW1 flying to WW2, my paternal grandfather fought on the Western Front in the trenches all the way through 1914 - 1918. So it's all of great interest to me.

Looking at your reply i think i will put FC on the back burner for a while and have a better look at ROF. Can't afford both at the moment, as i spent all my pennies on the other 4 modules.  😄 😄

Might have a look at the ROF training server, if i can use the free planes on it.

Thanks again for your advice and help buddy.

Mike.

I am completely confused sorry. In the manual it describes how to upgrade from the Free To Play version to the full version.

Yet the instructions given do not seem applicable. The link direct to the appropriate section of the online store is invalid.

Mike.

The game is FREE now. The manual probably refers to a time when there was a free demo only. Don't worry about it, there is no upgrade you need to do except possibly buy some more planes.

Personally i'd get them from the RoF Store where you can buy them individually not as packs, although if you downloaded the game thru Steam that may have some impact. IDK, but there is info around on that.

You can use any of the public servers with the Free download you have, just that some may be running Maps that limit plane types to a particular time period. Most of the Furball servers have a wide selection though and NW Basic Training server has all the planes available.

Interesting to hear about your Grandfather, you'll find that most WW1 sim pilots are really into studying the history of the air war and using historical elements to add immersion. In this respect i humbly point out our website https://us103.enjin.com/

Here is a Livestream (with action timestamps) of a Thursday night flyin from a couple of weeks ago https://youtu.be/6C8UJLSUjAQ

Edited by US103_Baer
  • Thanks 1

Hi again US103_Baer,

sorry to be a pain. Understand now that the game is free  and no longer needs upgrading.

Yes i will get the aircraft from the ROF online store, always believe in supporting the vendor directly.

First purchases will be the Sopwith series of aircraft and the DH2 Pusher. 👍

Not a big fan of Steam, i have CLOD Blitz through Steam but never install or play it.

I tried the rookie server you mentioned and i will be returning to fly on there again. I appreciate the heads up in regards the server.

What does "Furball" mean buddy, please ?

My grandfather was a regular when war broke out with The Welch Regiment and then in 1915 he transfered to The Machine Gun Corp when it was formed.

I only know a bit about the air war, as my interest for both world wars, has always been in regards the ground forces.

Many thanks for the link to your website, which looks very interesting. Also the YT video link, which i have bookmarked (and liked) for viewing later.

Again thank you for all your help and the information you very kindly provided.

Mike.

Furball may refer to :

• An alternative term for hairball, an accumulation of hair in the digestive tract of an animal.
  • A large dog fight between groups of fighter aircraft.

Typically 'icons on' servers will be used for quick-action dogfighting. Opposing airfields are quite close together and players tend to just fly toward the enemy and engage straightaway. This leads to multi-plane dogfights with all the aircraft turning, twisting and fighting in a small space. Once you've participated in a few you'll realise the term Furball is very appropriate.

The DH2 won't win anything except an oddball design contest. I think there are better Entente purchase options, like the SE5a, Spad 7s, and Bristol Fighter. Hell, i even made a satirical video about the DH2!

Edited by US103_Baer
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, US103_Baer said:

Furball may refer to :

• An alternative term for hairball, an accumulation of hair in the digestive tract of an animal.
  • A large dog fight between groups of fighter aircraft.

Typically 'icons on' servers will be used for quick-action dogfighting. Opposing airfields are quite close together and players tend to just fly toward the enemy and engage straightaway. This leads to multi-plane dogfights with all the aircraft turning, twisting and fighting in a small space. Once you've participated in a few you'll realise the term Furball is very appropriate.

The DH2 won't win anything except an oddball design contest. I think there are better Entente purchase options, like the SE5a, Spad 7s, and Bristol Fighter. Hell, i even made a satirical video about the DH2!

6 hours ago, US103_Baer said:

Hi again buddy,

Furball i understand with cats, i have two here. But not in regards airwarfare, so thank you for the explanation.

I have been flying on the Novice server and never find any enemy airfileds. 😄

I can fly the WW1 aircraft far better than the WW2 ones i own. But navigation is a bit hit and miss.

I love the "pusher" aircraft, RFC's first really successful types. DH2, FE2B and FB5 Gunbus.

Plus i will probably only purchase RFC\RAF aircraft. Not really interested in flying the other nations machines.

Watched the video on YT and commented. 😄

Many thanks for replying again, always much appreciated.

Mike.

I just purchased these in the sale..........mega bargain.  😎

Airco D.H.2

Airco D.H.4

Bristol F2B (F.II)

F.E.2b

R.E.8

S.E.5a

Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter

Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Dolphin

Sopwith Pup

Sopwith Triplane

Mike.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dogbert1953 said:

Airco D.H.2

Airco D.H.4

Bristol F2B (F.II)

F.E.2b

R.E.8

S.E.5a

Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter

Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Dolphin

Sopwith Pup

Sopwith Triplane

Mike.

Nice selection there. A few tips:

The D.H.2 has an unrivalled forward view. Which would be more  useful if the dastardly Hun didn't insist on attacking from behind. Keep your head on a swivel.

The R.E.8 doesn't look nearly as ugly when you are sitting in it.

The Sopwiths are all excellent, in their own way. Sadly, the Dolphin's way includes an entirely authentic 'nose-over-on-landing-and-decapitate-the pilot' feature. If you have TrackIR, you can just about duck inside the cockpit and survive, though if it does nose over you have to stay ducked inside until you have exited the mission. It may be possible to program a 'ducked-down'  view key too, though I've not tried.

Seriously though, enjoy your new aircraft.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dogbert1953 said:

Airco D.H.2

Airco D.H.4

Bristol F2B (F.II)

F.E.2b

R.E.8

S.E.5a

Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter

Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Dolphin

Sopwith Pup

Sopwith Triplane

Mike.

I hope you enjoy your planes Dogbert. After all, I enjoy playing Rise of Flight. I have almost all of the planes. Some of my favorites on that list are Airco DH.2, Bristol F2B, Sopwith Triplane, Dolphin, and Camel. Planes that I love flying that I would recommmend buying are the Felixstowe F2A, Halberstadt C.II, Fokker E.3 Eindecker and Dr.1 (The Red Baron's plane), Pfalz D.III, and Handley Page. A flying tip if you ever get the Gotha bomber is always use RUDDER when a wing drops, NEVER Aileron as that makes the situation worse.

Edit: Channel map is always fun, you can sink ships like WW1 subs, supply ships, and Emden class cruiser.

Safe flights over No Man's Land.

Novice-Flyer

Edited by Novice-Flyer
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for the info and tips.

I always appreciate replies, feedback and help in regards my posts.

Oh heck i forgot about the Channel Map. I decided to get that when i first looked at the ROF shop.

Thank you both guys.

Mike.

Great to see people taking advantage of this massive sale. Makes a full hanger incredibly cheap and the value/enjoyment is unmatched.

@Dogbert1953 i seriously recommend the Spad7. It is one of, if not the best modelled planes in RoF both graphically and flight model. It WILL give you a significant advantage over ALL the Huns from mid-1916 till early 1918, and the Spad 7 180hp is still competitive till the end of war. It (S7 180) climbs and dives better than the Se5a. Some of our squad will fly it in preference to the S.13 

Might as well get a couple of Hun planes too. You can pick up a lot about their strengths and weaknesses by flying them. The Alb DII, DIII and Fokker DVII, DVIIF are really worth having.

@US103_Baer

Hi buddy thank you for the advice in regards the Spad7. I think i have purchased all the UK aircraft now ( i bought the Channel Map & Handley Page 0-400) last night.

So i will probably move onto some of the other Allied aircraft, before the sale finishes. Spad7 will now be first on the list. 👍

In total there are now only 22 aircraft in the store that i do not own. So with a bit of juggling of finances i might be able to get them before the sale ends.

Your help is much appreciated US103_Baer.

Mike.

Edited by Dogbert1953

On 1/29/2019 at 12:53 PM, Dogbert1953 said:

Thanks very much.

Mike.

Not even close. ROF has curves FC doesnt. Flying a DR1 in FC is a nightmare compared to DR1 in ROF.

• Thanks 1

Hi @blackram , lost me now sorry buddy.

No idea what "curves" means.

But thanks very much for replying.

Mike.

Edited by Dogbert1953

S!

Curves refers to an in game tool. It allows you to change how the game sees your control inputs.

The best example is pitch control.  If you do a quick mission with your plane at 2 k and your enemy at ground level  you will have plenty of time to adjust your curve.

Put the plane on auto level. Right click mouse to bring up tool bar. Select the tool function. This brings up several options. You want responses. This is a work area with a list of planes on the left and what looks like a joystick calibration screen in the middle. Be sure the All Planes box near the top left is unchecked. Make sure you pick your plane in the list on the left.  Under the All planes check box is a drop down box where you can select the pitch axis. Once selected  hit the shift down arrow a couple of times.. As you hit it you will see the line move down and a representative of the elevator move down. Save and go back into flight and see the difference. I have my planes set to fly level hands off.  Experiment to see what happens. Many people have posted their favorite curves settings.

• Thanks 1

Nice one JG1_Butzzell, thanks very much for the explanation. 👍

I didn't even know about the right click function, in game.

But i will most certainly give it a go.

Your reply and info, are very much appreciated.

Mike.

Edited by Dogbert1953
Poor grammar

Cubans Vintage Mission Sunday is calling you Dogbert1953!

Salute

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/26/2019 at 10:33 PM, Dogbert1953 said:

I absolutely love this game.

good.gif.333a9e979041a09f0a16f63e0a9da2c5.gif

RoF is my favourite flight Sim too.

The grafic of the flying circus looks better but i need the different axis configuration for each plane.

Without that possibility, the Flying Circus is not an option for me.

Edited by LesG