Sign in to follow this  
gad11

U-2VS in PWCG?

Hi all. Just curious if the U-2VS is available to use in PWCG? Want to get it as it looks like a lot of fun but I have been told you can't play it in the career mode yet. Figured i'd ask here. Always preferred PWCG over career mode anyways. :) 

Thanks!

As of now, no the U-2VS are not in PWCG.  That does not mean they might be in the future.

Edited by Taxman
All is ok

If it was as simple as adding a U2 ground attack unit I would just do it.  However, I don't think U2s were used in daylight attacks, so I would have to implement night missions in order to use them properly.

I am in the process of adding the new planes to PWCG and I will include the U2, but it will not have a squadron.  If you wanted to fly the U2 you could edit one squadron and fly it in daylight, but that might be a bit suicidal.

Edited by PatrickAWlson

thanks Pat! i am ok with daylight. U2 is hard to shoot down anyways. :)

my one concern would be the distance to target. U2 flies very slow. it would almost need to be at a very front line airfield to get close targets. :)

28 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

They would get stationed close to the front lines.  Not right on top but within 30 km if possible.

excellent!!

also, how does one go about adding a plane to a squadron? thanks again!

2 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Have to wait until I incorporate the U2 into the game.  Working on that now.

Sounds good Pat. Thanks again. :)

I created a SP mission with this earlier today, for the first time.

Really excellent tool and i will deffo be using it a lot.

Thanks very much to Patrick for creating it and making it available.

Mike.

Edited by Dogbert1953

I am in the process of adding BoBP and U2 to PWCG.  The planes and payloads are defined.  Need to add some more stuff like profiles and pictures.  I will also add a U2 squadron starting in Stalingrad on August 1942.  It will fly on both Stalingrad and Kuban.

The other BoBP planes will not be available in the campaign without hand modifications.  Anybody that wants to do that is welcome to try it out but it is not supported and I cannot promise anything with regards to supporting home edits.

The immediate next step is for me to put the BoBP planes on the western edge of the Stalingrad map.  The planes and squadrons will be correct to the extent that the plane set allows.  The location will have to be lived with until we get the proper map.  It will allow you to play these planes in a campaign well in advance of the map release.  If this sounds like a lot of wasted work, it's not.  The vast majority of the new work is necessary anyway.  What The only waste is plunking down squadrons on a fictional map, which is really not that hard since I already have front lines and squadron placement done.

• Like 2

U2 campaign is up.  See PWCG release thread.  I don't own the plane so I need some help in testing to make sure it is working properly.  ME loaded it properly so the missions should be correct, but a real test is needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

U2 campaign is up.  See PWCG release thread.  I don't own the plane so I need some help in testing to make sure it is working properly.  ME loaded it properly so the missions should be correct, but a real test is needed.

Wonderful! I'll give it a try now!

Did a mission. Worked pretty well. Nice close target so didn't take too long to get in the ol putt-putt U2! 😄

Only issue during mission was no target showed up. Mission was to destroy troop concentrations but didn't receive a target (red mark on map). No big deal though as i blew up some AAA so did something good for the war effort!

Only advice and not sure if possible, but default altitude for the mission is pretty high. U2 is pretty low level so I manually changed the heights to around 150. They were set around 800 I believe which would take quite a while to get in the U2. But no big deal as I can change easily myself!

Look forward to the next mission. Thanks for this Pat!