HenFre

Looking for critique on tutorial video

Hello all

I have been producing some tutorials on how to do different aerobatic maneuvers. This is the latest one on the Hammerhead:

I have been trying to refine how the content is presented and I am pretty happy with it. But I would like to hear YOUR opinion on the video? What can be done better? Anything that can be done in a different way? Or is it simply the best tutorial ever :crazy:

Please leave a comment :clapping:

Best regards

Henrik

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

It's great.  The last third of the video does seem to be merely a repeat of the first two thirds though.

Can we have one on doing a barrel roll?:salute:

• Upvote 1

@DD_Arthur Thank you Arthur :salute:

The last third of the video is just a repetition, but with less text describing the maneuver each time. Would it be better if I showed different takes on the manuever instead of just a repetition? Or are the repetitions unnecessary?

The Barrel Roll maneuver is coming :)

I liked the different camera views, illustration, description and the repetition, (can assist with the learning I think).  Great video, thanks for sharing. :salute:

• Upvote 1

An extremely good demonstration and I like the repetition...up to a point.   You should definitely remove the final demo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HenFre said:

The last third of the video is just a repetition, but with less text describing the maneuver each time. Would it be better if I showed different takes on the manuever instead of just a repetition? Or are the repetitions unnecessary?

I think it's clear and really well done so I think the final repetition from the cockpit is unnecessary.  You could however replace it with something artistic from another view point.

F11 camera placed on the ground for instance?

• Upvote 2

Nice video HenFre and well flown.  :salute:

I liked how you used the video inserts to show the external view and cockpit view.

Also, I like how you did multiple demonstrations with increasing and then decreasing information. However, I agree that the last demo was unnecessary as it was preceded by a demo with simple text to review the procedure.

It may be better to change your paragraphs at 1:32 into the steps that you give in the side view of the hammerhead at 1:42. Those steps are in the active voice, which is better for learning any task. You could include the additional explanations (e.g., gyroscopic forces) in between steps at 1:32.

Edited by JimTM
  • Upvote 1

Congrats, excellent work. Very nice video tutorial. Showing the flight and inside the image in parallel the video of rudder and stick is excellent. Nice diagram, and the detailed text window in the second part of the video is also very instructive. 

You asked for some comments right? 🙂 

I have one comments, one question,  and one small correction. 

The comment is about the diagram. When you are at 1':48'' in the video you have a drawing in two parts showing the hammerhead aerobatic maneuver.

You have depicted 6 steps in all. Three on the left side and three on the right. I would advise to have it completed according to what we see in the flight video in the first part before the drawing appears, with an additional step when the plane is fully in the vertical plane. This step would  that as you go up vertical you have to use stick to keep the plane (roll and pitch) in the vertical plane wings flat and use more and more right rudder to compensate the tendency of the plane to veer left. This tendency increases as the plane slows down. So you would have 4 steps on the rleft side of the drawing. The other three steps on the right side do not change. These information are given later on the second part of the video, so nothing is missing, except that the diagram as it is depicted feels to me a little incomplete.

My question was that maybe the speed at which the video is played in the second part where the small text windows appear, may be made in slower motion so that the text windows stay a little longer. Sure we can always pause, so that's a detail.

The correction is regarding the hammerhead figure on the right side of the drawing. You show that when the plane is at the top and does a turn on its yaw axis the tip of the left wing does a rotation around a circle with a certain radius. In standard competition the normal aerobatic figure to my experience is with radius 0. This means that to be a perfect hammerhead the plane has to rotate around a point on the tip of the left wing. The further out from that point and the more points you loose. It may be difficult to do with a 109 though.

Personally in real flight when training I always tried to have a turn as much as possible near the center of gravity of the plane. If you can the turn inside the wing then you can do it at the tip.

The idea being that you go down exactly on the same vertical line you used when you go up. But this was done with an aerobatic plane fully symmetrical and much lighter than a 109, and with some additional energy than what you could get from the engine. How, by doing this maneuver just after a looping where you come out voluntarily at a faster speed , and using that excess to go vertical without being full throttle, so that when you are at the top you can give a full throttle kick when you go full left rudder. Ideally you would stall and at the moment of stall you kick fully left rudder. In that case you turn around the gravity center of the plane. 

Just a small secret. But let's keep this between us. 😊 I never really managed a clean perfect turn around the center of gravity.

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I think it's clear and really well done so I think the final repetition from the cockpit is unnecessary.  You could however replace it with something artistic from another view point.

@DD_Arthur That sounds like a great idea. I will implement that in my next tutorial :clapping:

1 hour ago, JimTM said:

It may be better to change your paragraphs at 1:32 into the steps that you give in the side view of the hammerhead at 1:42. Those steps are in the active voice, which is better for learning any task. You could include the additional explanations (e.g., gyroscopic forces) in between steps at 1:32.

@JimTM You have a point there Jim. I think I will keep the first section on the historic origin of the maneuver and the second part, the active voice, on how to perform the aerobatic. Thank you for the feedback :salute:

@IckyATLAS Thank you for the kind review and the critique :biggrin:

Your comment is spot on. I should have included the step on how to stay in the vertical line in the diagram :)

As for your question about the speed when the small text Windows appear, I think it would be a fine touch if I slowed down the video at that point. But it is very hard to judge how fast people read, so I think I will do both. Slow it down and tell people to pause the video.

The correction also hits home. The figure on the drawing is not totally correct. The wingtips of the planes going up and down should be touching if the maneuver is performed perfectly. I think the drawing I made is a for a 1 point downgrade :dash: :crazy:

And last but not least thank you for the tip/secret at the end. I will try it out next time I go for a practice run :salute:

Z - Hammerhead Judging.png

Edited by HenFre
Spelling

E-7 is easy to fly, probably no tutorial needed BUT would be amazing if done with E-3 or E-1 using CloD footage.

Just my opinion.

18 hours ago, Slegawsky said:

E-7 is easy to fly, probably no tutorial needed BUT would be amazing if done with E-3 or E-1 using CloD footage.

Just my opinion.

@Slegawsky E-7 so easy to fly that anyone can do a Hammerhead without a tutorial? Is that what you are saying?

The only reason that I would consider making the tutorial in CloD is because of the amazing looking cockpits and plane models. However the cockpits and plane models in IL-2 GB are almost of the same quality, but the landscape, towns and clouds in IL-2 GB are much more beautiful. That in my opinion makes IL-2 GB a complete package and my preferred choice of WWII flightsim.

23 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Yeah, a different viewpoint would be better, I agree. Also have you thought about pausing it when key moves (such as the actual hammerhead) kick in? It would give the watcher a little more time to read the bottom right description and relate it to the attitude of the plane.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Raptorattacker said:

Yeah, a different viewpoint would be better, I agree. Also have you thought about pausing it when key moves (such as the actual hammerhead) kick in? It would give the watcher a little more time to read the bottom right description and relate it to the attitude of the plane.

@Raptorattacker I will try a different view for the last repetition :salute: And I will see what I can do about pausing the video when key moves are done or perhaps I can get away with just slowing the video down. Thanks for your input Raptor :)

• Like 1