McDuff

Visual damage modelling

Love this game but am I the only one who thinks that the visual representation of bullet holes, rips ,tears and cracks seem to drag down the otherwise great aircraft models ?

I got a bit of stick for mentioning this last time but I am sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

Devs have mentioned it in the past but it is very low on the global priorities list. I think they are subpar as well considering how scrumptious other visual aspects are but totally understand considering the pace of development. It may be placebo but I think they are a little better than the EA period. It’s not game breaking for me, just a minor visual nuisance. Don’t see this changing anytime soon.

I can live with that. Only while reviewing my trks I have a problem determining the type of damage a certain plane was caused but in offline campaign TBH I rarely notice that shortcoming or not at all. Doesn`t break my immersion as AI planes hit also act dependant on damage they`ve taken.  Other than than when I get hit, I feel immediately or see on the dashboard which component of my plane took a beating - holes in wings, even small especially change my decisions while in combat.

I like the minengeshoss explosions even if the actual damage is different. The only think I think that bugs me is holes in canopy. In 99% such cases when hit, my virtual self did not get wounded one bit, same can be said of the dashboard clocks or switches that remained unchanged. Would like to see some more detail here.

I hope they do one day get the chance to upgrade visual damage. The overall quality of the holes plus making them more accurately related to the damage inflicted. Right now one MG bullet can put 3-5 or more bullet holes in the section it hit. If they can take it further with slightly more detailed interiors, like shooting off engine covers and exposing superstructure instead of the dark abyss some of those holes create the sim would be better off.

But like others here I can live without it for now, just wish it could make the list in one of these lulls in development cycles soon.

I'm sure it'll be improved down the road. I can live with the effects for now. 

I completely agree but have to say the visual affect of a hit on the bullet proof glass is fantastic. Especially in VR.

I think it has been improved yet since BoS release. It will be again, I hope. But as other fellows said, I can live with it as it is right now.

I'd really welcome different damage types - damage from a hail of 7,9 mm bullets should look significantly different than a 37 mm hit from Flak 43. I have no idea how easy or hard this would be to model and I understand completely this would land at the bottom of priorities. A simple "would be nice to have".

Yeah the visual damage for the most parts looks as it is: painted on top.

I could be better IMO but there is a simple solution(don't get shot).😎

other than the bulletholes the damage is superb, when the wing gets shot up and is slowly giving way looks outstanding... The best would be a real hit registered bullet damage system but that would be both hard to implement + taxing on the systems (I presume)

Just looking through this thread and thinking - You guys seen DCS? 

The visual damage is nothing spectacular in Il2 but could be a lot worse. 

The damage reminds me a lot of the painted-on effects in the old Forgotten Battles series.  However there's bigger priorities to look into before overhauling them. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Krisu said:

.50 CAL hits need a touch up, they look like small black puffs when you hit instead of a series of small flashes and smoke. Refer to this please

If that really is P-38 footage then this is a bit of Blue-on-blue as that's a Mossie he's bringing down at 2.02 - 2.09!

Edited by Elem
error
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Krisu said:

I remember watching the movie from your profile pic, not the most realistic ending scene considering its tone through the whole thing xD   

Are you referring to the group photo of the Partisans in the forest?

If the damage decals are just painted on to the surface of the skins... 

... would it not be possible to overhaul the liveries to make it more inline with classic Il-2 (‘46)? 

Make a number of generic camouflage schemes for each aircraft and apply decals and serial numbers/tactical codes etc to the surface, rather than a limited collection of ace skins?

On 1/27/2019 at 8:00 PM, Soilworker said:

There's a mod I came across the other day:

That is marvellous! Maybe a bit overdone but a massive improvement over the pixely black squares.

Now I am dreaming of a world where they reach an agreement with the mod maker and implement something like that... hmmm...

8 hours ago, Simon_Colt said:

Just looking through this thread and thinking - You guys seen DCS? 

The visual damage is nothing spectacular in Il2 but could be a lot worse. 

Doesn't make the black vortexes into the nether regions of reality less disappointing. What-about-ism is a completely useless type of reply... 😐

For the record, I too can live mwith the current state of things while hoping they'll improve it later down the line.

Edited by wellenbrecher

3 hours ago, Royal_Flight said:

If the damage decals are just painted on to the surface of the skins... 

... would it not be possible to overhaul the liveries to make it more inline with classic Il-2 (‘46)? 

Make a number of generic camouflage schemes for each aircraft and apply decals and serial numbers/tactical codes etc to the surface, rather than a limited collection of ace skins?

Tactical codes involve 4 people working for a few weeks. I don't have time for it right now. I want to do it eventually. It's not so easy. Involves, model team, art team, GUI programmer and game-world programmer.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Krisu said:

I'm just talking about a movie with you right? Of course right, right? 

Of course...Come and See.