Han

Developer Diary 214 - Discussion

Gents, first off well done on modeling the First pattern Sonderbekleidung for the Army (Heer) Panzer crewman, but there are some uniform discrepancies that need to be point out.

If this representation is of an Officer as shown - ( Silver aluminum piping on the crown and scallop seam of the M38 Feldmutze and Officers Double prong belt) then where is his shoulder boards (Schulterstucke) of silver cord appropriate to commission?

Conversely If this representation is of an Enlisted rank (Mannschaften) then the Silver aluminum piping on the crown and scallop seam of the M38 Feldmutze and Officers Double prong belt needs to be omitted and the belt needs to be replaced with the standard EM Heer belt.

For whichever version,  there is no National breast emblem (Hoheitszeichen) on the right side of the jacket shown and yet you chose to show it on his M38 Feldmutze? there is also no metal death's head (Totenkopf) inside of the piped rhomboids on each collar whether they be the Danziger. Braunschweiger or waffen SS version? (the latter two were seen very infrequently)

Headset and throat mike cords were not tucked into the jacket as shown as this is impractical and incorrectly worn.

This is not meant as a destructive criticism of your work but rather feedback on what is in the pipes so far. So much effort and time has gone into getting the attention to detail right in other areas of AC, pilots uniforms/ flightgear, so please don't overlook the Panzer crewman.

_Crew_2.jpg.e7d74680602c9c6a4d8a333c946123f1.jpg

_Crew_3.thumb.jpg.6f2e92189a688dd0d089190eba119605.jpg

Edited by FurphyForum
  • Upvote 3

On 1/25/2019 at 5:57 PM, danielprates said:

I would be glad enough if the AI-only B25 eventually became flyable!

I'm really hoping that the B25 becomes flyable, one of my favorite twin engines!

1 hour ago, Hartsblade said:

I'm really hoping that the B25 becomes flyable, one of my favorite twin engines!

It is somthing that is likely to happen at some point due to the fact that they will have to build an accurate FM for AI to use. This essentially means to make it flyable they just need to model the interior.  I'm not saying that is easy but it leaves a place holder for the work to be finished in the fututre.

Hello, Is there a way I can extract the 3D object files of the planes so I can repaint them in Substance painter as opposed to painting in 2D with traditional paint programs?

For X-Plane 11 for instance I am able to convert the .OBJ's into Wavefront OBJ's, import tem into Blender and export them as an FBX or Wavefront to import into Substance painter.

Thank you!

No.

You have to paint on the UV map in Photoshop etc, then export back into the game engine.

37 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

No.

You have to paint on the UV map in Photoshop etc, then export back into the game engine.

Thank you

To me, the most interesting part of this informative DD was the announcement of the specific P-38 block and the B-25 model we are going to get.

On the one hand the added capabilities of the P-38J-25 are for sure nice, but on the other hand only 105 fighters of this block were delivered (105 more converted into F-5E) and not even all of them assigned to ETO-based squadrons. By contrast, 1400 airframes of the J-15 block were produced (200 converted into F-5E).
Truth be told, it's all about the Droop Snoot. I only know of J-10/-15/-20 based Droop Snoots - last hope for a playable "bomber" being part of BoBP now shattered?

I'm thrilled about the Mitchell going to be an Mk.II! Maybe even coming with a waist gunner mod? Pe-2 deposed!

Can't wait to pay for its playable version... :blush:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Speechless!

5 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

To me, the most interesting part of this informative DD was the announcement of the specific P-38 block and the B-25 model we are going to get.

On the one hand the added capabilities of the P-38J-25 are for sure nice, but on the other hand only 105 fighters of this block were delivered (105 more converted into F-5E) and not even all of them assigned to ETO-based squadrons. By contrast, 1400 airframes of the J-15 block were produced (200 converted into F-5E).
Truth be told, it's all about the Droop Snoot. I only know of J-10/-15/-20 based Droop Snoots - last hope for a playable "bomber" being part of BoBP now shattered?

I'm thrilled about the Mitchell going to be an Mk.II! Maybe even coming with a waist gunner mod? Pe-2 deposed!

Can't wait to pay for its playable version... :blush:

I dont think they would even do droop snoot as modifiication if P-38 version was compatible, amount of changes necessary in cockpit and in outside 3D look from fighter version is just to mutch to be given as modification, J-25 is best option as it was there and its best version of J. BoBp will do good with fighters and fighters-bombers only ( and maybe collectable B-25 in future).

• Upvote 1

The droop-snoot just doesn't make a sensible cost-benefit analysis.

I'd rather have thee time spent on a standalone twin medium bomber than wasted on a minor modification that played a comparatively minor role.

TBH, I'd rather have an F-5E (the recce plane, not the Tiger II) than a droop-snoot Lightning. But that's just me.

• Upvote 1

Maybe, maybe not...

Additional modelling would obviously be necessary, but the overall shape of the gondola didn't change that much and isn't really that complicated. Changes in the cockpit are limited to the addition of a pilot direction indicator, while the bombardier's compartment wouldn't even require a high-resolution interior model (as per A-20).

The "blister turret"-modification turns the Pe-2 S.87 into a Series 110 (changes to the external & cockpit model), the "rear turret"-mod of the IL2 (1942) and U-2VS add additional stations, and radio compass indicators can be added to many of the already available aircraft - a Droop Snoot might not be too far-fetched.

I'm looking forward to use the P-38J in the fighter role as much as I'm going to love its ground attack options, but I would trade off the boosted ailerons and dive flaps for a Droop Snoot all day long - it's a bit of a missed opportunity in my option. It would fit the map and the scenario, it would refute all "no bombers in BoBP"-arguments, and it would enhance the game in a very unique and interesting way. It would...

Hi to all

In tank crew, there will be minefields?

26 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Hi to all

There should be.

3 hours ago, Obelix said:

Hi to all

Good question, never occurred to me. Yeah that would be great indeed!

5 hours ago, Obelix said:

If you're in the tank, they will be your fields quickly anyway...

Looks like the future additions are coming along nicely. I would still like some Croat skins for the Bf 109 (G-2, G-6, G-10, or K-4)😘 Maybe if the Bf 109 G-10 is ever introduced.

18 hours ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

If the Droop Snoot doesn't have the bombardier position interior modelled it loses a lot of it's charm imho.

Agreed, but as none of the bombers have a position modelled but have the bombsight view (which is fine, btw), it could make a Droop Snoot more plausible. 

Change the existing external model, alter the flying characteristics (presumably a bit slower, less rate of climb and not as agile) and then add the possibility to go into the bombsight view while on auto-level. 

Was the bombload the same on the Droop Snoot?

I don’t expect it to happen and there are probably better things to spend dev time on regardless, but it could be fun to have. I’d fly it, anyway. 

Yes, the bomb load was the same. A Droop Snoot and a standard P-38J of the same block differ only in some parts of the cockpit gondola - that's why I think it would be predestined to be a modification if the P-38J we are going to get would be a P-38J-15 or -20. Differences in the flying characteristics would therefore be limited to a slight decrease in weight (approximation).

Please tell me that those "long awaited and important changes" are either the removal of those silly timers from the engines or a netcode overhaul that would allow for more significant AI/asset numbers on MP servers. Please, pretty please.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

On 2/2/2019 at 5:42 AM, 4./JG26_Onebad said:

Please tell me that those "long awaited and important changes" are either the removal of those silly timers from the engines or a netcode overhaul that would allow for more significant AI/asset numbers on MP servers. Please, pretty please.

good news improvments coming:

posts from Han

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/8209-214-я-часть-дневников-разработчика/?do=findComment&comment=669025

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/8209-214-я-часть-дневников-разработчика/?do=findComment&comment=669030

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/8209-214-я-часть-дневников-разработчика/?do=findComment&comment=669053

in short :)

"And yes, and the next update will contain a number of major improvements on the network, DM, projectiles and optimization. "

and about AI:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/8209-214-я-часть-дневников-разработчика/?do=findComment&comment=669059

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

Thank you very much, mate, for this information. And by the way, it seems that there is much more communication between users and creators

on the Russian forum - it's a huge different world there.

With the Google translator is is very easy to get these information in your preferred language - it sometimes sounds a bit bumpy, but still you can

understand very well, what they mean and what they're talking about. I think the new update 3.010 will quite a step ahead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Thank you very much, mate, for this information. And by the way, it seems that there is much more communication between users and creators

on the Russian forum - it's a huge different world there.

With the Google translator is is very easy to get these information in your preferred language - it sometimes sounds a bit bumpy, but still you can

understand very well, what they mean and what they're talking about. I think the new update 3.010 will quite a step ahead.

its easyer for them to respond there and language mishaps cant happend, and ppl there ask same questions we ask here, so when i remenber i checkk DD topics there to see whats up, offten there is some interesting stuff, hope goggle translate gets better , sometimes automatic translation can look funny :)

@77.CountZero, thanks for sharing.

It seems like they have addressed some major hit detection issues (delays) in MP.

I look forward to the full change log in the 3.010 patch.

I always look for petroviche's and BlackSix's comments as they get into the main topics at hand usually. But another dev that might easily get overlooked on the english forums is airahusky. He is a good insight into the finer details in the bug reporting section over what is making it into the next patches. 

• Like 3