Sign in to follow this  
Thad

Weapon Data

Salutations,

I'm desiring to create a IL-2 Weapons Statistic Reference Chart ie. max firing range caliber, type etc.

Is there a way to access this game data for reference? 😗

Or, failing that can the developers confirm that they have used accurate historical equipment/weapon statistics? If so, we can search for such data.

Edited by Thad

The weapons for all the planes are listed in the spec. sheet for each plane. You can see that in the map screen. Then you can just look up the weapons and get the data that way. While it isn't the numbers direct from the game, they should be similar.

Here is what I currently have. It is a compilation I found somewhere in the forums a while back and some information I gleaned from the internet. I still think it would be helpful if we mission builders had the games exact weapons data for artillery available.

GroundUnitReference.PNG

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Thad said:

Salutations,

I'm desiring to create a IL-2 Weapons Statistic Reference Chart ie. max firing range caliber, type etc.

Is there a way to access this game data for reference? 😗

Or, failing that can the developers confirm that they have used accurate historical equipment/weapon statistics? If so, we can search for such data.

Yes, the data is there if you poke around in the game files. Some parts are plaintext and really easy to understand, while others are binary and therefore rather tricky. 

The 'mods' section of the forum is a good place to start.

I dont understand what "gun range" means in the real world?

Lol in the sim world

Edited by AeroAce

5 hours ago, AeroAce said:

I dont understand what "gun range" means in the real world?

Lol in the sim world

This may refer to the range at which the AI will engage you with that gun.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:44 PM, Thad said:

Here is what I currently have. It is a compilation I found somewhere in the forums a while back and some information I gleaned from the internet. I still think it would be helpful if we mission builders had the games exact weapons data for artillery available.

I've been using this page but it conflicts in some cases with your table (e.g. Flak 36/37/38) but I actually think your table is more accurate so I'm stealing it. If you do get an updated list I would steal the update too! Very useful.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:26 PM, [DBS]Browning said:

This may refer to the range at which the AI will engage you with that gun.

Are we sure of that. I am doing some tests with various russian AAA artillery. The 52k has a gun range of 11'000, but definitively it does not start to engage you at that distance. 

I made a comparative test with all the AAA russian guns in the sim, and yes the 52k is the one starting to engage first at the farthest horizontal distance of about 2-3000 meters not much more. All the other ones are much less. I have still to check if the distance to engage is a radius of a sphere or if it is in the form of a cylinder. This would mean that the 52k may enage you at say 3'000 meters but would have a vertical range of 11'000 meters. I'll post the results asap.

I made a lot of tests and it is not clear at all how the detection space is organized around an AAA entity. For the 52k it is cylindrical. I mean horizontal detection distance is much smaller that vertical gun range. 

Another strange behavior, is that the AAA will have a tendency to engage flying targets only when they arrive near to vertical and then will follow them. But they do not engage them in the approach phase. I tried using the check zone trigger but it makes no difference.

Edited by IckyATLAS

Are you using an AttackArea command to direct the AA to fire? If not, try adding one, it somehow causes the guns to do a better job.

On 2/13/2019 at 12:00 PM, Alonzo said:

Are you using an AttackArea command to direct the AA to fire? If not, try adding one, it somehow causes the guns to do a better job.

Instead of the attack area, you can also trigger a force complete command, object inked to the AA.

For what it's worth, here are some rough notes I made re. some testing I did in April of 2018, after the v3.001 update:

Ship-Based AA  (AI: Normal)

• AA alone, with no force complete or attack area cmd, results in some heavy AA at long range and some light AA at close range
  • Force complete low acts like attack area cmd set to high, i.e., lots of heavy and light AA at long range
  • Force complete medium acts like AA with no attack area cmd
  • Force complete high shuts off AA

Land-Based AA (AI: High)

• AA alone results in moderate level of heavy AA at long range through 360 degrees and a little light AAA at short range but at narrower angles through the 360 degree range (i.e., it fires once in awhile)
  • AA with force complete medium behaves the same as AA alone
  • AA with attack area command low results in moderate level of heavy AA and light AA at long range through 360 degrees
  • AA with force complete low results in high level of heavy AA and light AA at long range through 360 degrees
  • AA with attack area command medium behaves the same as AA with force complete low
  • AA with attack area command high seems to act like the medium level but less intense and not through all angles. Why is that?

Edited by JimTM
  • Upvote 1

On 2/13/2019 at 6:00 PM, Alonzo said:

I wanted to avoid using attack area. I have in my multiple bomber mission a city and airfield defense system with over 20 AAA units.

To be effective they should all be connected to one very large attack area. I am not sure this will change something. But can it be done. I have to try.

On 2/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, JimTM said:

Instead of the attack area, you can also trigger a force complete command, object inked to the AA.

For what it's worth, here are some rough notes I made re. some testing I did in April of 2018, after the v3.001 update:

Ship-Based AA  (AI: Normal)

• AA alone, with no force complete or attack area cmd, results in some heavy AA at long range and some light AA at close range
  • Force complete low acts like attack area cmd set to high, i.e., lots of heavy and light AA at long range
  • Force complete medium acts like AA with no attack area cmd
  • Force complete high shuts off AA

Land-Based AA (AI: High)

• AA alone results in moderate level of heavy AA at long range through 360 degrees and a little light AAA at short range but at narrower angles through the 360 degree range (i.e., it fires once in awhile)
  • AA with force complete medium behaves the same as AA alone
  • AA with attack command low results in moderate level of heavy AA and light AA at long range through 360 degrees
  • AA with force complete low results in high level of heavy AA and light AA at long range through 360 degrees
  • AA with attack command medium behaves the same as AA with force complete low
  • AA with attack command high seems to act like the medium level but less intense and not through all angles. Why is that?

For the Land-based AA by attack command do you mean attack area or attack a specific target ? And how to handle 20 30 or 40 AAA units in an area like a city. Still a lot to experiment.

2 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

For the Land-based AA by attack command do you mean attack area or attack a specific target ? And how to handle 20 30 or 40 AAA units in an area like a city. Still a lot to experiment.

I used the attack area command with the Attack Air Targets option selected.

For city defense you could try the attached group, which is based on the target defense switch in my manual (pg. 298). I added three more attack area commands and set Priority to medium and selected Attack Air Targets. Make your own adjustments to the sizes and options for the attack areas to fit your needs. Link your guns and searchlights to the appropriate attack area (and other MCUs) according to the Input/Output instructions in the manual. I haven't tested this yet so please let me know how it works.

TargetDefenseSwitchLARGE.zip

Edited by JimTM

2 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

I wanted to avoid using attack area. I have in my multiple bomber mission a city and airfield defense system with over 20 AAA units.

To be effective they should all be connected to one very large attack area. I am not sure this will change something. But can it be done. I have to try.

I have targets with several AttackAreas (Flak, MG north, south, east, west) and it works quite well. It actually helps the guns to fire only at 'close' targets they have a chance of hitting, rather than something way out of range. For my airfields I have a 6km defence activation range, 4.5km puffy flak attack area, and then multiple 1200 - 1500m attack areas for the machine guns. 

Been looking for this info, I know its an old thread but does anyone know if using 10x Flak is possible in the Bos engine? much like PWCG Rof.

This way we can use less units overall to simulate more flak over the target areas... 

On 8/20/2019 at 5:40 AM, Hessle said:

Been looking for this info, I know its an old thread but does anyone know if using 10x Flak is possible in the Bos engine? much like PWCG Rof.

This way we can use less units overall to simulate more flak over the target areas... 

I'm not sure what you mean by "10x Flak"... Here's some info that might help though:

• You can certainly have 10 flak guns all activated at once, no performance issue.
  • Depending on the gun model, the heavy (puffy) flak can have up to a 10km range.
  • You can use AttackArea commands to cause the 10 flak guns to cover a 10km radius.
  • You could use multiple interlinked AttackArea commands to cause 10 (or more) flak guns to cover overlapping 10km radius areas.
  • My maps have around 10-14 targets, and each target has 3-4 puffy flak guns covering it, as well as fast firing tracer guns. The guns activate and deactivate based on player location in order to save resources. The puffy flak can fire from up to 10km away, giving a reasonable impression of a "flak wall" as players approach.