GCF

Sunday Flying Circus Furball

thanks to all for flying last night, it was great fun

• Upvote 2

I joined in just as it was ending ... If I joined the right server? Was only one other person on, it never lasted until 3AM GMT? seemed was just me on at 23:00 GMT?

I'll give it a go again next time I see it announced here though, keep up the good work.

On 4/23/2019 at 12:17 PM, B12 said:

I joined in just as it was ending ... If I joined the right server? Was only one other person on, it never lasted until 3AM GMT? seemed was just me on at 23:00 GMT?

I'll give it a go again next time I see it announced here though, keep up the good work.

you are very correct , i will be shortening times, from now on, hope you can make it sometime.

Flying Circus Furball

When : Sunday, the 28th April 2019

Time :  19:00 to 00:00  Greenwich Mean Time

20:00 to 01:00 UK Time

21:00 to 02:00  Central European Time
            15:00 to 21:00 Central Time US / Canadian

Where : Jasta 5  Flying Circus Dogfight Server

Type : 5 Hour long, informal, mass dogfight (drop in & drop out anytime) Furball.

Entrance : Everyone welcome, just fly and have fun.

Again a very big thanks to All the members of Jasta 5 for allowing us hold the FCF event  on their server, this Sunday and thanks for a great server.

This event will be held every Sunday from 19:00 to 00:00 GMT.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 8:17 AM, B12 said:

The best bet to find from 10+ to 20+ players (depending on the week) is from 19:00 to 22:00 GMT time. After that it usually gets empty. The server usually peaks at 20/21:00 GMT and it can get around 25 players. Sometimes you can find a handfull of people flying from 18/19:00 as well.

This on Sundays.

• Upvote 2

just a reminder 15 min to start

Flying Circus Furball

When : Sunday, the 5th May 2019

20:00 to 01:00 UK Time

21:00 to 02:00  Central European Time
            15:00 to 21:00 Central Time US / Canadian

Type : 5 Hour long, informal, mass dogfight (drop in & drop out anytime) Furball.

Again a very big thanks to All the members of Jasta 5 for allowing us hold the FCF event  on their server, this Sunday and thanks for a great server.

Me vision for Flying Circus Furball, is not to be a server based mass dogfight event,  think it would get stale quickly and is not what me want this event to be, as i believe it has hidden potential that people are not aware of. 

I would rather have Flying Circus Furball, be a nomad event, only a meeting place and time for a mass event. agreed ahead of time, everyone wellcome fly as you like , what you like and single or in teams or squadans. main thing is to have fun and fly with / against human opponents. i would like to use FCF Sunday event more as a mass gathering event, to try out what is new to FC, the plan eventually is to switch to a new server ever 2 weeks, and add new playable (ping wise and bug wise), servers to the rotation schedule, as they come online.

Would really like to use the FCF sunday event to showcase new servers as they come online, as it is open to all, don't need experience, squadron or training. and everyone is welcome and not restrictive due to rules. Only thing that may be frowned on is repeated blue on blue contacts.

i rather see these as new and exciting times, there are good and bad in everything , you just have to be able to recognise both, not just the negative. FC if frustrating as not finished ( no map and environment bothers me a lot) but on the other hand we have the opportunity, to see a game advance and grow from nothing, to be able to get to know it inside and out. to be able to help mold the game with feedback and ideas, before the game is set in stone.

thanks All

S!

paul

Any feed back ( negative or positive ) is always welcome, as is any ideas, or questions you may have.

thank you at all for flying last night, was great fun ! had a blast !

S!

paul

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I had a limited amount of time available to jump on, there were 2-3 other pilots at the same time.

My feedback:

- What's the rationale behind limiting the number of planes at the airstarts nearest the PVP zone?

- The flight to the PVP zone from the ground start airfields takes a really long time at WWI aircraft speeds

- For a furball (my read: instant action) server, it takes a long time to get back to the action in the provided Kuban map

I understand there are those who deplore the mud-circling low altitude arcade-ish combat of some of the ROF servers, but between the limited availability of WWI -focused servers in IL2 and the lack of fast(er) access to action, I'm not sure what my compelling reason to play FC is versus ROF.

My vote is for a 24/7 availability WWI Berloga, honestly, to help build up a steady player base. Only then can we hope to support more historical, realistic missions with sufficient numbers of pilots to make them interesting. Obviously, having the Western Front map will help a lot, too.

Just sincere feedback, not intended to demean or diminish the efforts of those involved.

Edited by DakkaDakkaDakka
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DakkaDakkaDakka said:

I had a limited amount of time available to jump on, there were 2-3 other pilots at the same time.

My feedback:

- What's the rationale behind limiting the number of planes at the airstarts nearest the PVP zone?

- The flight to the PVP zone from the ground start airfields takes a really long time at WWI aircraft speeds

- For a furball (my read: instant action) server, it takes a long time to get back to the action in the provided Kuban map

I understand there are those who deplore the mud-circling low altitude arcade-ish combat of some of the ROF servers, but between the limited availability of WWI -focused servers in IL2 and the lack of fast(er) access to action, I'm not sure what my compelling reason to play FC is versus ROF.

My vote is for a 24/7 availability WWI Berloga, honestly, to help build up a steady player base. Only then can we hope to support more historical, realistic missions with sufficient numbers of pilots to make them interesting. Obviously, having the Western Front map will help a lot, too.

Just sincere feedback, not intended to demean or diminish the efforts of those involved.

hi thanks for feedback, to be honest i did not even know there where problems with air start, never had to start from airfield before, i dont know anything about mission creation.

i was flying last night between about 18:00 GMT, had 17 people online last night about 20:30 GMT, there was a steady 12+ players online until i left at 23:30 GMT. i know its not rof numbers by any stretch but happy if there are 6 people online, natural the more the better and the game is still in early access.

i would also really like to have a ww1 Berloga server, like players the more the better.

biggest plus for me is FC is VR playable, and in vr the graphics are really amazing, like actual being inside the game.

All feed back is welcome , thanks for taking the time.

S!

paul

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DakkaDakkaDakka said:

My feedback:

Very good feedback, thank you, assuming you're talking about the Jasta 5 server on which the Sunday event is held.

For the record, this post is not in name of J5 and entirely my own opinion, but I'll make sure it finds its way to the right people ( @J5_Baeumer and @J5_Matthias ).

I think the current map serves its purpose well considering the circumstances. I wasn't too sure about the kill messages not being displayed, but I actually don't mind their absence. It creates somewhat more of a relaxed atmosphere, which is a good thing at this early stage of the game. My only real criticism is the length of the rounds (how long it takes till the map cycles), which could easily be doubled.

Limiting the number of airstarts makes sense to me, especially if the server fills up (which hasn't really happened yet) in order to stop possible abuse.

Much of the problems we currently face with the distances on the Kuban map will be addressed when the Arras map comes along (eventually). Even so, mission builders and server hosters will have to come up with a proper fast food / instant action type of map, though I'm not sure this is something which a historical squadron such as J5 wants to have its name attached to. The gents over at NFF and WarGrounds have far more experienced with this either way.

I do worry quite a bit more about the omnipresence of the Sopwith Camel and Fokker D.VIIF. During the 45 minutes I spent flying yesterday, these were the two types I saw being flown almost exclusively (including by myself) — save for one or two pilots brave enough to attempt a sortie in the Fokker Dr.I. It certainly looks like both the Camel and F will have to be limited in number down the line. Historically speaking, this makes perfect sense for the F — not so much for the Camel, unless we're talking about the Bentley-powered one. I sincerely hope that the devs will have another look at her, as she's about 10km/h too fast. A big deal by WWI standards. I don't think anyone really questions this anymore. If nothing else, it would make the standard Fokker D.VII a viable option, as well as the upcoming Albatros D.Va, all the while making both the SPAD and upcoming SE5a far more attractive.

Edited by J5_Hellbender
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GCF said:

hi thanks for feedback, to be honest i did not even know there where problems with air start, never had to start from airfield before, i dont know anything about mission creation.

i was flying last night between about 18:00 GMT, had 17 people online last night about 20:30 GMT, there was a steady 12+ players online until i left at 23:30 GMT. i know its not rof numbers by any stretch but happy if there are 6 people online, natural the more the better and the game is still in early access.

i would also really like to have a ww1 Berloga server, like players the more the better.

biggest plus for me is FC is VR playable, and in vr the graphics are really amazing, like actual being inside the game.

All feed back is welcome , thanks for taking the time.

S!

paul

S! to you as well, Paul. Was there more than one J5 server up yesterday? I connected to the one I found, it had a few people in it, and I assumed it was the one. It was featuring a Kuban map with airstarts and a PVP zone over the island in between the two landmasses where the opposing forces were based. There were also some non-PVP / AI target practice areas. Anyways, it's quite possible I connected to the wrong one, who knows. This was around 3:00pm Pacific, which I believe is 22:00GMT.

1 hour ago, J5_Hellbender said:

Limiting the number of airstarts makes sense to me, especially if the server fills up (which hasn't really happened yet) in order to stop possible abuse.

Much of the problems we currently face with the distances on the Kuban map will be addressed when the Arras map comes along (eventually). Even so, mission builders and server hosters will have to come up with a proper fast food / instant action type of map, though I'm not sure this is something which a historical squadron such as J5 wants to have its name attached to. The gents over at NFF and WarGrounds have far more experienced with this either way.

For what it's worth: I'd err on the side of making the barriers to entry as low as possible, at least for now. 

I have been around and peripherally involved in the RoF community for long enough to understand how important historicity is for many players, but first you have to attract the players. Right now, if I have time and desire to sim and I have to choose between FC and RoF, it's the latter that gets the nod because it's the only place I can find any multiplayer action. Whether it's Wargrounds or Fast Food is irrelevant; you go where the other players are, and you make the most of it. Which is frustrating because I like many, many things about FC so far, and would prefer to just switch over. But between the lack of days/times that WWI servers are available, and the lack of players, and the maps presented, I just can't, unless I want to fly around empty maps with airfields and objectives placed at WW2 distances apart from one another. So I'm forced back to RoF, which does nothing to solve the problem for FC.

It's an age-old quandary, I know, and I'm not singling J5 or any other server operator for anything approaching criticism. I am very grateful that there's any WWI content being offered at all, and Salute! to you all for it.

But it feels like there's going to have to be a more considered effort made to provide 24/7 WWI content before we'll see more people switching over. Maybe we have to wait for the new map and more planes, I don't know. For my part, as mentioned elsewhere, I'm only just now looking at FC even though I preordered.

Edited by DakkaDakkaDakka

I would like to have berloga style server - quick FFA close quarters and 1vs1/2vs2 duels.
IMHO objective style mission  is not use yet and nobody is even trying do something other that just furballing.

Unfortunately guy responsible for beloga do not care about FC, once I asked him for permission to use his mission in beta testing closed environment. He refused...

Berloga FC would be amazing. Would it be that hard to replicate something similar? Wouldn't it "just" be two airstart positions not too far apart from one another, along with some AI?

I understand that this is very easy to type, and much more difficult to implement, but compared to some of the more ambitious maps out there, surely not that level of difficulty?

Hi the server is Jasta 5 the thread is here

It is a very nice, enjoyable server, run like a dream, even at 26 players which is about the max at one time in the air, we have had.

there are quite a few servers that have ww1 planes, as for the game all we have at the moment is multiplayer, dueling, dogfighting, and furballs. the tricky part is to find multiplayer opponents / wingmen to fly with, there is no reliable way of finding people in game. discord or teamspeak groups are best for that, personally i dont play against AI, and i get about 3 to 8 hours multiplayer most days, through discord group.

im awake a lot if you want to arrange some flying, we can go for it, just send me a pm. 

Aside the great job J5 is doing, I second that the mission time can be easily doubled. Every time the map rotates, we lose roughly 1/3 of the players. Some come back, but some don't. And 1 hour goes in a blink, and to wait for the rotation is not the ideal when things were heating up and getting fun. I don't mind the distances if the mission is longer, but If I want to land on my airfield to don't give a kill away, it is a long way back home. I'm not sure if mission builders can build airfields at the shore, but it could be a good idea for the Kerch strait regarding WWI.

At this point I personally don't think it is a good idea to limit planes. In this case in general, the same player or two will be flying the Camel and D7F until the end of the mission. We wait a week to see some action in FC, to then don't be able to fly those aircraft is a heavy penalty. The Dr.1 is still fun for the time being and she is hard to shot down. Sometimes I get the Dolphin and it is fun as well.

What I really like is the lack of AI at the front. This way we can practice positioning and hunting, a classic aspect of WWI. But unfortunately I’ve noticed that we also suffer with the visibility bubble in these bigger maps. I know where the enemy spawns or takes-off and I have to fly a long way to start seeing them popping on my screen, or flak for that matter. That with clear blue skies in a sunny day is a bummer. Perhaps a smaller map (or closer airfields) could mask the problem a wee bit.

Flying Circus Furball

When : Sunday, the 12th May 2019

Thanks All

S!

paul

Any feed back ( negative or positive ) is always welcome, as is any ideas, or questions you may have.

Posted (edited)

Only 434,400 seconds from start time.

Edited by Klugermann

1800 seconds to start 

30min to most people

thank you all for flying tonight, had great fun thanks S!

here is a 4K VR video of a bit of tonights Sunday FC Furball.

sorry for line at bottom of video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Showed up yesterday, was fun but it appears I may need a new rig! Was getting pretty horrendous stutters. Great to see a proper big fur ball on FC though! Also didn't notice any combat messages, but I may have just bonked my settings there. 

Edited by US103_Larner
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, US103_Larner said:

Showed up yesterday, was fun but it appears I may need a new rig! Was getting pretty horrendous stutters. Great to see a proper big fur ball on FC though! Also didn't notice any combat messages, but I may have just bonked my settings there. 

What's your current rig? You might solve your problem in this topic (I got mine solved). I had an old i7-3770K and GTX 1060 and I was running fine. These stutters are a mystery and everyone has a different solution. I followed some settings from this topic and the stutters are gone. VR is a different game though.

Posted (edited)

Safe to say it's really not fit for purpose - never was meant to be a gaming computer in the first place, but it ran RoF okay so I never bothered replacing it. i5-3570k and GTX 77M. That being said, single player seems to run decently well. I'll give those threads a look while I consider a proper rig. Cheers!

Edited by US103_Larner

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, US103_Larner said:

Safe to say it's really not fit for purpose - never was meant to be a gaming computer in the first place, but it ran RoF okay so I never bothered replacing it. i5-3570k and GTX 77M. That being said, single player seems to run decently well. I'll give those threads a look while I consider a proper rig. Cheers!

If Single Player is running well, you might be suffering from the same problems we were having and some setting is causing the stutter in multiplayer. The i5-3570K is more than enough to run Il-2, especially if you overclock it. It is the same as my old i7-3770K, since Il-2 does not use Hyper Threading, and I was running fine with it (now I have an i5-9600K). I would just update the Graphics Card if you don't want to replace everytyhing due to the DDR4 RAM.

Edited by SeaW0lf

10 minutes ago, US103_Larner said:

An i5-3570K is plenty for Flying Circus.

GTX 770 is a bit long in the tooth, though. Wait a minute, 770M? Are you playing on a laptop?

Yeah dude I was having that issue then I checked and unchecked things in game and it seems to have gone away. Theres a huge thread on it.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, J5_Hellbender said:

An i5-3570K is plenty for Flying Circus.

GTX 770 is a bit long in the tooth, though. Wait a minute, 770M? Are you playing on a laptop?

Sorry, that should say 775M. A Mac actually, believe it or not, running Bootcamp! Like I said, not originally intended for gaming ;) 

Edited by US103_Larner

54 minutes ago, US103_Larner said:

Sorry, that should say 775M. A Mac actually, believe it or not, running Bootcamp! Like I said, not originally intended for gaming ;) 

Just plug a second hand 1060 or 1070 (Ti) for 1080p and you are good to go (if you have 8GB of RAM I suppose).

3 hours ago, US103_Larner said:

Okay, so you're on a late 2013 27" iMac, I think. Not a bad gaming machine really — it's all PC hardware inside anyway — but a bit limited in terms of upgradeability.

Depending on your budget, if I were you I'd build an Intel i5-based system (Intel has better single core performance than AMD, which is all that matters for IL-2) with 8 or 16GB DDR4 (you won't notice much of a difference unless you run Chrome with 100 tabs open) and then indeed either a second hand GTX 1060 6GB / 1070 / 1070 Ti / 1080 (as @SeaW0lf suggests) or a new 1660 Ti, if you're going to play at 1080p@60fps, for which you'll need a new monitor obviously.

If you want to try 4K or 144Hz and possibly VR, I'd get a slightly better video card, but we're in between two generations of video cards at the moment and everything is a bit overpriced.

Or you can just splash out and buy yourself a new top-of-the-line 27" iMac and bootcamp to Windows again. 

Just remember that you will need to install Windows 10 (eventually) if you're still hanging on to Windows 7, especially with the newer hardware.

Couple of quick questions again, seems you guys dont use a padlock view? I'm not looking to change rules or anything, but I kinda need it, can explain why if you want.

The other thing was after watching latest video is you use voice comms, is that just in menu or in battle too? Could that be regarded as realistic for WW1 aircraft communication? pretty sure i saw in flight vid voice comms directing to area of battle ... when I tried your server other weekend I had no voice comms, searched for ages for something to happen :)

1 hour ago, B12 said:

Couple of quick questions again, seems you guys dont use a padlock view? I'm not looking to change rules or anything, but I kinda need it, can explain why if you want.

The other thing was after watching latest video is you use voice comms, is that just in menu or in battle too? Could that be regarded as realistic for WW1 aircraft communication? pretty sure i saw in flight vid voice comms directing to area of battle ... when I tried your server other weekend I had no voice comms, searched for ages for something to happen :)

Padlock view is an age old conundrum, it’s more or less cheating unless it is extremely well implemented (padlock off as soon as the plane is hidden from view) and even then you will need to be able to somehow look around and regularly check six, for which you’ll need some serious hat switch skills or a third hand to operate the mouse.

I recommend investing in a TrackIR 5 head tracker.

https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/trackir5/

FaceTrackNoIR is an alternative that works with any simple webcam, though YMMV.

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm

Ultimately VR head tracking (with a Rift, Vive or Windows Mixed Reality headset) is superior to both — and simultaneously inferior, as it tracks your head movement 1:1, and hence offers less flexibility and comfort compared to an IR head tracker. Then again, VR is mostly for the purpose of immersion rather than having a competitive edge online. It all depends on what’s most important to you.

1 hour ago, B12 said:

On the map below (J5 Flugpark), most of the dogfights happen in the yellow square and the red square - the latter being where most of the fight happens. Since most people use the air start to save some time, you can find action from 3000m+ to sea level. From my experience, Flying Circus (Il-2 Great Battles) have poor spotting (worse than ROF), then you might circle the red area at 2000m for ages without seeing nothing, when in fact there are half a dozen planes below you. Then you have to pay attention to gunfire (the tracers glow), flak (you need to be within 9.5km or less to be able to see it) and occasional wing glitters (you have to get used to it and use zoom most of the time). If you have no zoom and you have a small monitor (1080p), you don't have good chances of spotting planes below. Better to get to 500/1000m and look for planes above you untill you get used to the map / spotting. 

ATctxa8.jpg

Regarding voice comms, ask on the server the channels people are using. I think at this point they are mostly run by players that get together on teamspeak or discord. But I might be wrong, since I never used commns not in Flying Circus or ROF. If it is realistic or not, people use it anyway and don't expect chivalry when we start getting missions. You will get mugged. But if you like to fly without comms, you get used to the field and you can survive only by chat.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, B12 said:

we use voice coms most of the time when flying, it is nice and social even when on other sides, and fighting each other, its great fun. most play in VR so typing, anything is hard to do. here's the Irregulars discord channel,  https://discord.gg/YYAUEq , all are welcome, discord and  Team Speak groups are the best way to find people to fly with.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
@ B12
Makes one wonder if the ROF pilot hand signs will be ported over.
I knew of only one outfit that did use them, those guys were really deep into role playing )))
All other outfits were using TS, their own or the ROF one also for the big events, which included different channels for each group with whisper relays between flight leaders for coordination purposes.
And of course the après game group gathering for some good laughs.
Its a game which mostly is about fun between friends.
Edited by West
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Flying Circus Furball

When : Sunday, the 19th May 2019

Thanks All

S!

paul

Evening All ! 45 minutes to start of the FC furball on Jasta 5, all welcome !

i will be recording the event tonight and will upload a couple of videos when i can, in this post, please feel free, if you have and screen shots or videos of tonights Furball, to post them in this tread.

Have fun all Salute !

Thank you all for flying tonight it was great fun, and a big thanks to All at Jasta 5, for the use of their server. thank you Gentlemen ! Salute All !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

thank you all , for flying tonight sorry i forgot to update the event this week, and not showing up , had surgury on 24th, so have been preocupied, and recovering, over slept and missed the event.

Thanks again

S!

paul

Flying Circus Furball

When : Sunday, the 02nd June 2019

Thanks All

S!

paul

Edited by GCF
  • Like 1

Wish you a speedy recovery! Till next week.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Flying Circus Furball

When : Sunday, the 09nd June 2019

Where : Flying Circus Flyin Furballs Server

A big thank you to OG_FC for allowing me to use his missions tonight, Thank You ! Sir.

A massive thank you to all at Jasta 5 for allowing us hold the FCF event  on their server for the last months, you have give FC a home, and helping keep us all flying, I Salute you Sir ! 

Have fun all !!

S!

paul

Edited by GCF
  • Like 1