GCF

Sunday Flying Circus Furball

Sorry have to go out so Darkowl is kindly helping me out by hosting tonights event on his server Flying Circus Armeeflugpark 1

Thank You Darkowl for saving the night.

Flying Circus Furball

When : Sunday, the 23th June 2019

Time :  19:00 to 00:00  Greenwich Mean Time

Where : Flying Circus Armeeflugpark 1 Server

Type : 5 Hour long, informal, mass dogfight (drop in & drop out anytime) Furball.

Missions  : All missions will be OG_FC's missions which he is kindly allowing me to use.

Entrance : Everyone welcome, just fly and have fun.

A big thank you to OG_FC for allowing me to use his missions tonight, thank you Sir

This event will be held every Sunday from 19:00 to 00:00 GMT.

Have fun all !!

S!

paul

Any feed back ( negative or positive ) is always welcome, as is any ideas, or questions you may have.

Edited by GCF
new event dates update
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GCF said:

Any feed back ( negative or posative ) is always welcome, as is any ideas, or questions you may have.

Are you sure this is enough?  Just think how many people you could convince to play Flying Circus, if you were to make about a dozen more nearly-identical threads about it.

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Haha 1

Thanks very much GCF for taking the time to organize the Flying Circus Furball. And thanks also to the server owners for providing the venue.

Cheers! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Thanks very much GCF for taking the time to organize the Flying Circus Furball. And thanks also to the server owners for providing the venue.

Cheers! 

Seconded!

Do you fly a Tiger Moth, Jim?

My only biplane experience was on G- AOEI and G- AOIZ, flying out of Cambridge, both lovely aeroplanes to fly, fond memories.

( at the controls, that is - I can add a few flights in a Dragon Rapide as ballast to that ) 

Good God. I've just admitted to having bi experience on a public forum. 

Edited by SP1969
The sort of memory that one acquires with age. If one remembers where one left it.

7 minutes ago, SP1969 said:

Seconded!

Do you fly a Tiger Moth, Jim?

My only biplane experience was on G- AOEI and G- AOIZ, flying out of Cambridge, both lovely aeroplanes to fly, fond memories.

( at the controls, that is - I can add a few flights in a Dragon Rapide as ballast to that ) 

Good God. I've just admitted to having bi experience on a public forum. 

No, my dad trained on the Tiger Moth before moving on to the Avro Anson. He never made it overseas though as WWII was wrapping up and they did not need any more bomber pilots.

My flying experience is in C150/152, C172, and Piper Archer (and a little yoke time in a Cessna Citation).

Lucky you; a ride in a Tiger is on my bucket list.

Like a motorcycle with wings. 

Great fun. 

I remember buzzing a tractor driving along the side of a great, wide, field that was absolutely bursting with yellow rapeseed on a perfect, bright English September afternoon, at the request of my instructor. 

I'd only have been doing 80 or so, but even today, I recall the sense of speed.

I was very young, then. 

• Like 2

Image result for homer in and out gif

Edit: I just noticed the door knobs don't match...

Edited by =AVG77=Garven

I will try to make it too, this week.

Normally these are Vintage Mission hours in Rise of Flight (Sundays from 17:00 till around 22:00 GMT on Cuban Connection), but since my gunner/observer is away this weekend, I'll drop by.

• Like 1

Very old-time simmer here (started with RB2-3D and a 56k modem). I have RoF with most of the planes and goodies, flew with a Jasta in that some years ago. After looking into FC the buzz seemed/seems to be that it's just an upgraded RoF. All the planes and goodies bought and paid for over a couple of years, thrown away and charged $70 for the 'privilage'. 
Ok, but upgades and are they worth it? The comments in one of the posts above seem to indicate yes. But another but...the glacial progress with FC, with not even a map yet released, seems to indicate more of the same that plagued RoF back in the day, that it'll be years (if ever) that the devs get much done in a timely manner. And considering the exceptionally low take-up of FC one has to ask the question...are they going to continue to bother with it? Maybe one dev sitting at 'that' corner workstation and trickling stuff out?

Then Bodenplatte (progress appears much faster) and Tank Crew (somewhere between Boden and Tank?). I have no idea how big the team is but it's working on THREE games (essentially) at the same time.

Conclusion...I'm not optimistic and I don't feel inclined to risk being burned for seventy bucks. And isn't it a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy/trap they've created...low take-up because slow progress, slow progress because low take-up...the dragon eating its own tail, the spiral downwards into the dark.

Does the dev team ever post progress updates? Roadmap? Some indication that keeps users and potential users in the loop? If they do a link to it would be gratefully received and TIA for that. :)

Edited by Uffz-Prien

There's a sticky thread in the Great Battles General section that the devs give good updates about their progress.

As to FC, I'm certain they're commited to FC1 and it will be finished later this year.

That'll only be 12 planes and no Career mode, and as yet there's no firm commitment to FC2 that I've seen yet.

Currently I still prefer the 'look' of RoF (believe it or not), but when the map arrives and I play more that may well change.

If you want to hold off, wait for the map and you can gauge the reactions then..

Salute !

2 hours ago, Uffz-Prien said:

Does the dev team ever post progress updates? Roadmap? Some indication that keeps users and potential users in the loop? If they do a link to it would be gratefully received and TIA for that. :)

On 1/25/2019 at 1:48 PM, Uffz-Prien said:

Conclusion...I'm not optimistic and I don't feel inclined to risk being burned for seventy bucks. And isn't it a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy/trap they've created...low take-up because slow progress, slow progress because low take-up...the dragon eating its own tail, the spiral downwards into the dark.

I agree with your sentiment concerning the priority of Flying Circus over other more lucrative projects  and feel much of the frustration you feel.

I do, however, believe that Flying Circus is worth 70 bucks (not counting the additional discount with the RoF rebate code) at least for the following reasons:

• Active development: Quite simply put, RoF is out of development and any new features that you may still wish as improvements (parachutes, trenches, zeppelins...) or bugfixes (improved netcode, flight models, damage models...) are never going to happen. With FC we know that there is at least one developer who is taking an active interest in listening to the community.

• 64-bit / DirectX 11: RoF being a 32-bit application using DirectX 9 is very limited both in terms of available system memory (4GB) and graphical performance. In that respect, FC is very much a remastered version of RoF that should be better able to withstand the test of time and give mission builders more room to create complex missions, both online and offline.

• VR: If you're interested in VR at all, you will need to give FC a chance eventually. Now I haven't made the transition myself, or even tried it out for that matter, but once headsets become more affordable (Windows Mixed Reality looks promising), it may become a mainstay affair among flightsimmers, much like TrackIR has been so far.

That said, for the moment I still recommend playing mainly Rise of Flight, if WWI is your thing. The map and plane selection alone makes it worth it, even if we do have conflicting data regarding flight models between both games now. As for spending 70 bucks, well, if you're a serious flightsimmer it's a very small investment compared to the hours of enjoyment you will gain, especially compared to the far more substantial hardware investment (PC, HOTAS, pedals, TrackIR...). I recently spent 60 bucks on God of War for the PS4, and while I've enjoyed every bit of its 30+ hour campaign, it was a very expensive purchase compared to the thousands of hours I plan to sink in FC making scout flyers' lives miserable by hauling a certain gunner/observer around.

It's all relative, of course, and I understand that you may not feel as positive as I do, but if you immediately decide that FC is unpopular and not worth your time, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Uffz-Prien said:

And considering the exceptionally low take-up of FC one has to ask the question...are they going to continue to bother with it? Maybe one dev sitting at 'that' corner workstation and trickling stuff out?

How on earth do you have any idea of the take up for FC?  

RoF MP is bugged in very abusable way, no fix is expected and RoF community mostly gave up on regulating this (then gave up on day-to-day MP) and is waiting for FC. There's no going back to RoF in its current form, except for organized events like FIF, VM or BA we're just not giving up on. (Don't ask for elaborations, it's inflammable material that can't even be discussed within forum rules.).

Edited by J2_Trupobaw
  • Sad 1

There is still day to day action on dogfight servers (well NFF to be specific) in RoF, some just refuse to accepct this form of gameplay exists.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

There is still day to day action on dogfight servers (well NFF to be specific) in RoF, some just refuse to accepct this form of gameplay exists.

In the old days when we had several active servers even on weekdays, I would raise my nose at fast food dogfight "AirQuake" servers. Now that we only have NFF left, and whenever we get the chance to actually fly on a weekday, I'm genuinely thrilled to get on. It's true that you often see all manner of unsportsmanlike behaviour, but not only does it not matter, it actually helps you to stay at the top of your game and be prepared for when it supposedly does "matter" in Vintage Missions and other events.

So thanks again for NFF, it's greatly appreciated. My one and only point of criticism is that one map with the airfields very close together and absolutely every static object in Rise of Flight in between them. My frames constantly drop down into the mid-30's there, but that may very well be intentional. On the other hand, the fantasy islands map is one of my absolute favourites, regardless of server. It's not a very popular one though, as the airfields are not so close together.

3 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

it actually helps you to stay at the top of your game and be prepared for when it supposedly does "matter" in Vintage Missions and other events.

But that's the whole point. You take-off and duke it out until you get better. Can you imagine a MMA fighter who is forbidden to spar? He's gonna get his arse handed to him when he gets to the octagon.

I know that squadrons also do training missions and might not show up in furball servers, but they are training nonetheless. I’ve read somewhere (I think Stark’s book) that when the ceiling was low, and raining, they would take-off and train dogfights at low altitude above the airfield. So it is an integral part of the game.

I had some memorable duels in furball servers.

• Like 2

NFF servers have always been an issue for I estimate half of the participants, that's no secret. Myself inclded. That's with a consistent ping of around 60 which should be ok. Interesting to note I get 20 on Artys. 

It's not helped by the fact many of the missions are now packed out with active objects that hardly anyone is interested in. People just want to dogfight there. 

But it is what it is and still attracts the bulk of the short attention span traffic, myself included again! 

17 hours ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

RoF MP is bugged in very abusable way, no fix is expected and RoF community mostly gave up on regulating this (then gave up on day-to-day MP) and is waiting for FC. There's no going back to RoF in its current form, except for organized events like FIF, VM or BA we're just not giving up on. (Don't ask for elaborations, it's inflammable material that can't even be discussed within forum rules.).

So they dumped the game with a killer flaw? That must have been after my time with it (or it was discovered after I'd stopped playing it). I do remember the repeated promises that they'd never leave RoF high and dry. Looks like they did.

I think I'll give FC a miss and wait a year or so to see how Bodenplatte pans out. Thanks guys. :)

Don't ask for elaborations, it's inflammable material that can't even be discussed within forum rules.

But sufficient to say, no they did not. 

The server is bugged againm restarting at every 5 minutes. Some people left an the rest is at J5.

25 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

Thanks guys, had a blast.

Me too, thanks a lot ...

• Like 1

I had a blast being blasted...out of the sky. Thanks to GCF and Jasta 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I played for about 2 hours tonight without getting bored or running out of opponents.

In the previous three days, I encountered precisely zero human flyers. I saw someone come online in Coconut, but never saw them, despite the icons.

It was fun tonight, thank you all who were there and to GCF for his constant efforts.

I'll be back next week, probably.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

The server is bugged again restarting at every 5 minutes. Some people left an the rest is at J5.

Is anyone else as suspicious as I am?

• Haha 2

Thank you all for joining in the event last night ! it was great fun. could only stay for 3.5 hours after which time, in constant vr dogfights, my eyeballs felt like they where going to pop, and was having PC issues. but had a really great time. thank you.

more news will follow about the server for this week coming , just got a few things to sort out, did any one have any problems with the Jasta 5 server ? 

thanks

S!

paul

PS.i you listen very intensly, you may just hear, the low sounds of an approching, weekday "Coconut's Rumble" 🙂

Flying Circus Furball

When : Sunday, 3rd February 2019

Time :  19:00 to 02:00  Greenwich Mean Time

20:00 to 03:00  Central European Time
            13:00 to 20:00 Central Time US / Canadian

Where : Jasta 5  Flying Circus Dogfight Server

Type : 6 Hour long, informal, mass dogfight (drop in & drop out anytime) Furball.

Entrance : Everyone welcome, just fly and have fun.

Again a very big thanks to All the members of Jasta 5 for allowing us hold the FCF event  on their server, this Sunday and thanks for a great server.

Edited by GCF

Bueno, nos vemos allí 🙂

Hi all just a reminder the FCF ( Flying Circus Furball ) event is on Jasta 5 server tonight, hope to see you there, if not, i hope you all have fun, no mater what you are doing and where ever you are, that is what is important about gaming after all.

S!

paul

Had a great time playing last night...Hope you do this regularly as that was the first time I played with an actual group of real people. Loads of fun to be had there. Thanx Beez~

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 666-B33LZ3BUB said:

Had a great time playing last night...Hope you do this regularly as that was the first time I played with an actual group of real people. Loads of fun to be had there. Thanx Beez~

Yesterday was fun, but kind of empty. All the servers were that way (Super Bowl day perhaps?). In general the event gathers 20-25 players for a couple hours. Come back next Sunday (it happens every Sunday). Check the server - Jasta 5 Flugpark I suppose - at barans.

Edited by SeaW0lf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry, I couldn't make it yesterday.

Also do note that having the event on Sunday will always place it in direct competition with the RoF Vintage Mission.

Just a curious qusetion ... When I fly the server and no one else is on (which is most of the time :( ) the only AI that I can see is my own side (absolutely no enemies) ... Why is that?

Beez~