Reezo

Help with custom 3-point OpenTrack tracker

Hello everyone!

Fellow pilot here, just got into the cool world of IL-2. I have had friends that played it for years but never got into it... until now. Looking forward to join some of you up there in the skies.

I built my own 3-point tracker with IR leds from your amazing guide, here (thank you BlackHellHound1)

but I am still having troubles with my setup. I've added pictures of it so you can see how it looks like.

1) I have not modified my PS3EYE (I suspect it might be the "bad" one but I haven't opened it yet) - In PS3EYE Test I can see the IR leds quite nicely and I somehow can make it pick them "pretty comfortably". I know removing the IR filter would improve things (so I've read) but so far it seems like the cam might be ok.

2) As you see from the pictures, I wanted to make the 3-point tracker sit flush with the headphones. Therefore I have no Z-plane change on the points.. is this bad.. as in: "known to not work at all"?

3) I read that camera settings should be optimal at 640x480 60fps (or 75), probably trying to fit a light filter on top of the lens (from the outside) to make sure I pick nothing but the IRs. I have to say the IR filter seems weak enough (might be justified since the camera is also supposed to work with IR controllers on the PS3, right?) to let my LEDs shine through. You can see in my attached pictures how the LEDs look like in normal conditions and with a piece of floppy disk put in front of it, from the outside of the camera.

3b) About the PS3Eye angle: do you keep it on the blue dot or on the red dot? Which FOV values are right in the OpenTrack settings? I am not sure this can in some way degrade the performance or create an initial technical error.

4) I set the LEDs up for rechargeable batteries, with parallel 13Ohms resistors. I haven't tried Alkaline yet but they definitely will pack more of a punch. However, so far, I was amazed at the fact that I can see the 3 IR LEDs in the PS3Eye stock.. and I read that many people have used it with success without taking the IR filter off. There's hope. Sometimes, when I pitch up, a LED disappears..and if I set the min size too low there might be intrusions from reflections and such.. so I am aware things can be improved in this field.. however I am still puzzled by the absence of yaw and pitch, as mentioned below.

5) In the Opentrack model section I picked "Custom" and set point 2 to (-96 / -80 / 0) and point 3 to (96 / -80 / 0). However.. should I then proceed to calibrate manually the "yellow plus" so that it stays roughly on my neck? I am thinking this is probably very impotant.. but automatic calibration just seems to mess it all up (I gently yaw and pitch in front of the camera..)

The reason I am writing this is that I have it working but so far practically zero pitch and zero yaw.

X, Y and Z work perfectly.

Roll works perfectly.

It might be the curves of course but I wanted to double check with you guys that things are technically in order. When I yaw and pitch in the curves window I can see little movement of the little circle even with low max-input values.. I am suspecting it might be something I overlooked. I've used an Aruco Marker and things were incredibly great (except for pitch down..) and I wanted to get something better.. but so far the Aruco kicks my new setup’s butt ;) ... so far! The match is still on.

Thanks infinitely for the resources and help in this forums: the amount of things I could achieve with just reading through the articles and contributions has been invaluable. Now I thought it would be better to fill in a list of doubts that I still have to avoid me staying in the clouds grasping at question marks :)

Thanks in advance!

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

ps3eye-test1.JPG

ps3eye-test2.JPG

Edited by Reezo
Added more info

With that LED placement, maybe the camera loses line of sight when you rotate your head left/right or up/down. Have you checked if that's the case or not?

hi.

2 problems at first  I saw in your setup

1St    the 3 leds  lay on the same vertical plane 

2nd   check sensitivity and led size  Opentrack menù

have you :

• Input: PointTracker 1.1
  •   select the right hardware in the Pointracker settings   ("HAT" combo with your real dimensions)
  • Output: Freetrack 2.0 Enhanced
  • Filter: Accela

sorry but I'm hurry 'cause I'm at work

hope I help You

Caster and...

Good Luck!

As is mentioned in BlackHellHound's topic you do not have to modify the PS3EYE camera.

Quote:

"The camera: Most cameras have a filter that will remove infra-red light out of the picture as this will cause unwanted brightening of the picture. However, for head-tracking, we want the opposite. By only using infra-red light, we can easily track a small infra-red LED light without the interference of other colours. The infra-red light is not visible to the human eye but is easily visible to a camera.

The most common camera used is a PS3-Eye camera. This camera is modified so that it will only detect infra-red light."

As far as I know a headtracking system should have the 3 led lights aligned vertically. Not horizontally like you did.

On the website of Freetrack (Note: Freetrack does not work with IL2 Great Battles) there is a manual of how to make one yourself including its dimensions.

http://www.free-track.net/fichiers/manuel21en.pdf

And here some examples of DIY 3point headtrackers.

http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/point_model_gallery.php#Three_point_active_LED_clips

My home made Freetrack headtracker works perfectly fine with OpenTrack by the way.

No issues at all.

Thanks Uufflakke and thanks everyone else, once again, who replied.

I installed the "floppy disk"cap on the camera and now it tracks my IR LEDs perfectly. No need to tamper with the ps3eye, now it's confirmed! The LEDS never disappear, no matter what I do. I was able to tune in the best settings in the camera pane and at least that pane is sorted out.

Now: onto the shape.. I am thinking (as you suggested) the shape I used is not the best so far, so I will try and change it. I should be pretty flexible since I used very slim 0.14mm dual-wire cable and I have some leftover "solid-copper" 0.22mm cable that I can use to twist around the smaller wire and give it whatever shape I like. It's all very lightweight and my headset is way heavier than the tracker I built, so it shouldn't be a problem. 

I am sensing this is gonna be done soon ;)) Fingers crossed!

Update: it all worked out once I created a clip with the usual 30/40/70/80mm ratios. I used some tough cardboard and stuck it on the left side of my headphones, with the battery compartment tied on top of my headrest. Easy peasy, it all works great and wow.. I am noticing this is even better than what I remembered my old TrackIR 5 to be (plus, I have a webcam that works just by removing the filter cap).

Thanks guys!

Good to know you got your headtracker working. :good:

It is really simple to make and for a couple of buck it is done.

In my opinion an indispensable device for the sim.

Have fun in the virtual skies. :fly::pilot:

On 1/24/2019 at 4:51 PM, Uufflakke said:

As is mentioned in BlackHellHound's topic you do not have to modify the PS3EYE camera.

Quote:

"The camera: Most cameras have a filter that will remove infra-red light out of the picture as this will cause unwanted brightening of the picture. However, for head-tracking, we want the opposite. By only using infra-red light, we can easily track a small infra-red LED light without the interference of other colours. The infra-red light is not visible to the human eye but is easily visible to a camera.

The most common camera used is a PS3-Eye camera. This camera is modified so that it will only detect infra-red light."

That is not what it means. But I understand why you think it doesn't need modification. That last sentence was poorly written. To prevent this confusion again, I have changed the text to be more clear.

@Reezo Good to hear that you got it all working.

BlackHellHound1

:salute: