Sign in to follow this  
Brentobox

Logitech Extreme 3D PRO *AND* Rudder Pedals...Opinions?

Hello all.

I have a pretty simple question that I would like to get some feedback on as I move to upgrade my IL2 controller collection. Currently I'm fairly ghetto and just using a TrackIR + Logitech Extreme 3D Pro w/ twist rudder and a keyboard for all my needs. This has been a great combo and an unbeatable value, but I'd really like to experience the game using a more realistic rudder input analog, so I'm going to order some rudder pedals using a Best Buy giftcard I've got lying around.  

What I'm wondering is...what's going to happen to the quality of my Logitech 3D pro experience once I unmap the zed axis to yaw and switch over to the rudder pedals? Is the logitech extreme 3d pro (which I have found to be a perfectly fine joystick thus far) going to become unusable for pitch and roll because of the unnecessary twist? Do I need to simultaneously upgrade to a joystick that does not enable movement along that axis in order to experience ergonomic controls? I'm fine with doing whatever would give me the best experience, within reason. If I need to, I can get a cheaper pair of rudder pedals (maybe t.flight instead of the saitek) and get a new joystick as well. Just looking to maximize my value here and spread available funds between the pedals and stick as best I can. 

Any input at all on these issues would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

The joystick won't get better, nor worse if you get pedals.

Regarding the pedals: if you can stretch your budget to VKB T-Rudder pedals, get those instead.

Just unbind the twist axis and you will be fine. As far as rudders go. If you get one of the cheaper ones. I Don't think they are worth what they cost new but i got some for cheap of my country's e-bay knockoff. I Guess the 300$ Shiny cutom metal thingies will be worlds better, but it's a steep price tag and get ready for some waiting. Maybe the first investment would be a throttle quadrant.

EU VKB store has the pedals in stock. No waiting time there.

That's an interesting looking video, but frankly I'm not an input device expert and so I don't really know how to interpret it. I assume that it's some kind of test pointing out how the Logitech 3D Pro is actually a shitty joystick and not precise enough. Fine. I'm sure that's true enough by some metrics. I would really like to upgrade to something that's got a more authentic feel to it. It's definitely on my to-do list. 

Thanks to the input in this thread I've gone ahead and just postponed the rudder pedals thing for now. As Sarpalaxan warned, I'm concerned that either of these <$200 options just won't pan out as being worth it. I snagged a throttle quadrant using the gift card, having a legitimate prop management lever instead of the whole SHIFT+ press and hold keystroke routine is going to be great. Also excited to be able to control throttles on more than one engine without keyboard nonsense. This coming year I'll ork on saving up some considerable cash to take to the wider market in order to find the right rudder pedals.

If anyone has a set that they really think work great for IL2 - name them here!

Thanks all. Cheers.

I guess I'm pretty ghetto as well - been using an extreme 3D pro and nothing else but a keyboard for years. Been shooting down people with much better rigs online with that setup as well.

Just ordered TrackIR though, should be here next week.

I personally don't want rudder pedals - I've been using twist stick so long I can't imagine using anything else - if VKB ever gets their pro joystick in stock (probably will never happen it seems) I'm getting that stick with a twist base.

Without rudder pedals you can't control the planes  properly in BOX. If you fly DCS and jets you may get away without pedals but not when you control propeller driven planes. Unfortunately even if you have peddals there is no guarantee that you will use them properly. If you stick with Russian planes or Spits no problem. German planes need a lot of rudder.

I flew 6 years Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, I had several of them, I know what it is: A huge center point that is empty and poor, very poor precision. I had no idea that a better joystick could change my gameplay.

My advice, if you are on a budget take T.16000M, or Microsoft sidewinder that is refurbished.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov

2 hours ago, JG27_Kornezov said:

If you stick with Russian planes or Spits no problem.

MiG-3 says hello.