Sign in to follow this  
quynguyen

What is your favorite airplane?

I’ve been on Quora writing about planes for 6 months now, but I’ve never really discussed about my favorite airplane.

Concorde is my favorite.

When it was introduced in 1976, it was revolutionary, said to be the future of commercial aviation.

Flying higher and cruising faster, Concorde had far better performance than any other airliner, save for the clumsy Russian counterpart, the Tu-144.

Concorde makes the average airplane design look slow and outdated.

I love every aspect of Concorde’s exterior — the sharp nose and tail, the delta wings, the slender fuselage, the extraordinarily long landing gears, the four supercharged engines, the sleek cockpit windscreens. Its design embodies the beauty, elegance and swiftness of flight.

To me, Concorde represented the pinnacle of commercial airplane design and technology. Its exquisite appearance, unparalleled speed, unmatched safety and reliability, made Concorde the most impressive airliner ever built, in my opinion.

At the start of the 21st century, Concorde ended its 27-year-long service. It was too fuel inefficient compared to slower jets. It was too expensive to operate. Too noisy. Too claustrophobic for passengers, and complicated to maintain.

Today, more airlines are prioritising profits over comfort or speed. They want slower, quieter planes that consume less fuel. They want more seats, not speed. More revenue, less hassle. More passengers prefer cheaper tickets and less frills.

The airplane manufacturers have regressed to more primitive airplane designs dating back to the 1950s and 60s. The supersonic era is over. Concorde is forever grounded. It was an incredibly cutting-edge plane for its time. It still is today.

In my opinion, Concorde showcased the best of human’s innovation in the field of commercial aviation. There is no other plane quite like the Concorde.

Concorde is the most beautiful passenger plane that has ever taken to the skies. Concorde is my favorite plane.

In the words of BBC presenter Jeremy Clarkson:

The Concorde has become a museum piece like no other, because…there is nothing that has superseded it. Losing Concorde has been a giant step backwards for mankind.

Sadly, I never had a chance to fly in one before its retirement.

Image credits:

1st picture — Wikipedia

2nd picture — Andrew Hunt

3rd — Daily Mirror

• Like 2

My favorite aircraft depends on the era so the list would be rather large.

If I had to boil it down to just one military and one civilian aircraft it would be the

Lockheed Constellation

constellation-in-flight.jpg.pc-adaptive.

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

feature-640x300.jpg

Aww I can't just pick one... 😄

Depends on what era, the category of aircraft, role... what I had for breakfast...

I've always loved the Stuka for as long as I can remember. It just looked so different with its inverted gull wings and spatted wheels. I still love it and it's always the first that comes to mind when I'm asked what my favorite airplane is.

TR03214-2.jpg?1533738074

But my lifetime passion has always been lighter than air flight. And I've studied the LZ-129 Hindenburg ever since I could read.

4236436682_cb1d46aea4_b.thumb.jpg.9604fcc8d5b7e7e44f53157ca326aba2.jpg

About the Concorde, when I was little, I was going on a trip to France with my parents and we actually saw the Concorde taking off on its very last flight from Washington Dulles International airport.

Edited by Motherbrain

This masterpiece:

695330582_Thisplane.thumb.jpg.66158191c06695c6e7a820d799f2359b.jpg

Normally I would suggest an Avro 504 or some such other character plane but.... how fast did this thing really go?

and how fast would it have gone on better engines?

What a plane! What a machine!

Just amazing.

Fantastic, and it's all '60's baby.

Dig it.

S!

Planky.

Edited by Plank
Sentence structure was whack.
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Concorde is a good choice if I had to pick a civilian plane it would be this supersonic beast^^

Now for ww2 planes Im dreaming of an I-153 Tchaika and the upcoming Dewoitine 520 (CloD).

I remember my uncle who got me into flight sims telling me how he regretted that this last flying plane had been destroyed in a crash, I ended up giving him a rare scale model of it as a gift.

I'm also fascinated by the Rafale in perticular I think I would get back to DCS if they added it into the game.

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy

LearJet 24

1280px-NASA_DFRC_Lear_24_in_flight.thumb.jpg.bba6edc71ff8fe6d4e6cecc40ae8fa19.jpg

Lear_Jet_-_Chino_Airshow_2014_(14235541961).thumb.jpg.8b5384e8f7560711ae319adab8520967.jpg

Also: Concorde, Spitfire, Albatross D.V and, of course, Tiger Moth

Edited by JimTM

There are just to many great Aircrafts. If you co vor Civilian Mashines i would propably go for the Do X. Something about those Flying Boats ist just so Majestic. If I had unlimited funds i would propably convert one into a House-Boat-Plane and Prop (no Jet's allowed) Around some Islands.

Also K+W-26 

The Bf-109 E-4. I love the look of it and the history surrounding it.

And, of course, the Spitfire Mk.Ia. A beautiful aircraft that, again, has a lot of history around it.

It’s so gorgeous that when I met a Spitfire pilot*, our conversation was mainly about how great it and the Seafire looked.

*This guy is awesome. He flew Spitfires over Italy (with No. 43 SQN IIRC), got shot down and captured, liberated by the Soviets, moved to Australia, and ended up flying RAAF Caribous during the Vietnam War. And after all that, he’s one of the most humble and friendly men I’ve ever met.

That's an impossible question and one I don't think I could ever properly answer...  :russian_ru:

There´s only one possible answer for me...

osacar+rembold.jpg

Edited by Semor76
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Semor76 said:

There´s only one possible answer for me...

osacar+rembold.jpg

The Zero is overrated anyway :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Me 163-B Komet ‘Interceptor’

The First plane that over pass the Match Speed or the sound barrier in 1944 .

Edited by RAY-EU
  • Upvote 1

Too many to choose from. Hell, there are too many designed by Geoffrey de Havilland to choose from...

18 minutes ago, RAY-EU said:

Me 163-B Komet ‘Interceptor’

The First plane that over pass the Match Speed or the sound barrier in 1944 .

Yeah. Um, no. Not at all likely. Not unless it ended in a puff of aluminium confetti.

The first plane to show Mach+ plus on an airspeed indicator not calibrated for transonic flight? Possibly...

Edited by AndyJWest

Don't know why, but I always thought this was The Coolest Plane.

Got to sit in one with my buddy at an airshow in Plattsburgh back in the day. You paid $5 for the pic and the money went to a charity.

f-111-00000006.jpg