Jump to content
IckyATLAS

Brakes on IL2

Recommended Posts

Whatever the version I have a problem with the brakes on the IL2.

With other planes I have no issue, but with this plane the differential brakes and the tail wheel lock do not seem to work.

The tail-wheel seemed to be locked permanently and the differential brakes do not work at all, The plane goes always straight and with rudder only it is nearly impossible to taxi.

What am I doing wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are you trying to get the differential breaks to work? I don't know that the left/right break button work on that plane as it only has one break lever, like nearly all the Soviet planes. The way the system is supposed to work is you press your master break button and use rudder to apply breaking force to one wheel or the other and leave the rudder in the neutral position to have the force applied evenly. The tail wheel should unlock, but even then you should only really need to do that if you want to turn more or less on the spot. Another thing you can do to improve ground handling of the plane is set the RPM limiter to 100%, you'll need to for takeoff too. That setting should make the plane less prone to spinning around on the the ground so readily.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Disarray says. I have a button on the HOTAS for Il-2 brakes, plus toe brakes on my pedals for those aircraft that have differential braking. Ground steering using brakes on the Il-2 is all about using rudder input and your sole brake control. The tailwheel lock works fine; you need to set up a key/button for it but you will see it move - by your right elbow - if you have it working. Tailwheel Lock OFF for taxying, otherwise you will hardly turn at all; tailwheel lock ON for takeoff, or you will be wobbling all over the runway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Disarray and 216th_Cat. All clear now. Works as intended. Clearly the efficiency of these pneumatic brakes if far from excellent but it works.🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pneumatic aircraft braking systems are notoriously inefficient, even on quite modern aircraft. Because air is compressible and hydraulic fluid isn't, they are prone to fading. The advantages however are that it is lighter, simpler and less dangerous if damaged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah this is what i was hoping they would give us a game option for, as it was lowered a long time back to stop new players from prop striking and flipping plane all the time.

So for those who want it and can use it (Have toe brake pedals)

**Game Suggestion #25565565554**
Game Settings >> Gameplay >> FULL BRAKING POWER On/Off. so we are able to taxi properly, runup properly and stop properly. 

 

2 hours ago, Elem said:

Pneumatic aircraft braking systems are notoriously inefficient, even on quite modern aircraft. Because air is compressible and hydraulic fluid isn't, they are prone to fading. The advantages however are that it is lighter, simpler and less dangerous if damaged.

So are you saying All Trucks and Buses and Trains and military Vehicles in the world have poor brakes?

- Air is safer and leaks can be overcome by increasing supply pressure where as oil just leaks regardless of feed.
(The supply of air is unlimited, so the brake system can never run out of its operating fluid, as hydraulic brakes can. Minor leaks do not result in brake failures. )

Also its a fail safe system as the air is not Holding the brakes closed around the axle to stop the plane like hydraulic brakes do
but its holding the brakes open off the axle to allow the plane/vehicle to roll.
If the system fails it will result in brakes being applied on this is why trucks and stuff get stuck when air lines burst as the brakes lock up without air.

 

Edited by =TBAS=Sshadow14
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

Also its a fail safe system as the air is not Holding the brakes closed around the axle to stop the plane like hydraulic brakes do

but its holding the brakes open off the axle to allow the plane/vehicle to roll.
If the system fails it will result in brakes being applied on this is why trucks and stuff get stuck when air lines burst as the brakes lock up without air.

 

 

I'm no expert on aircraft brakes but are you sure that's accurate? I know that's how it is on road vehicles but I think I'd rather land a plane with no brakes rather than with the brakes jammed on, especially if were just one side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most world war two era aircraft brakes are not very efficient, and even if they were, would more often than not result in lockups and flat spots-blow outs depending on runway surface (give a thought to contact patch vs aircraft weight) when anti lock brake systems became more widespread efficiency increased (a bit) 

I don't have experience of pneumatic aircraft brakes personally but have heard that they are less efficient than hydraulic. Am fairly certain they do not operate in the manner of trains, buses and commercial trucks

 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 1:40 AM, Soilworker said:

 

I'm no expert on aircraft brakes but are you sure that's accurate? I know that's how it is on road vehicles but I think I'd rather land a plane with no brakes rather than with the brakes jammed on, especially if were just one side. 

No jammed fully on, But are much harder to roll when air is lost (so its still semi safe) ..

My point was the devs said they lowered braking ability on all planes cose people were constantly flipping over.
well can those who want full braking and can use toe brake pedals please get back the option for full realistic braking.

Keep in mind most planes should be able to do a runup on full continous power without rolling. but planes like 110 ingame cant even run 15% conti power before it creeps



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 12:36 AM, Elem said:

Pneumatic aircraft braking systems are notoriously inefficient, even on quite modern aircraft. Because air is compressible and hydraulic fluid isn't, they are prone to fading. The advantages however are that it is lighter, simpler and less dangerous if damaged.

Yep, I fly a real warbird with pneumatic system and brakes are not powerful , fade and overheat easy.

Also fly another plane with hydraulic system and its twice as powerful and wont fade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't want good brakes on these planes.

I did my tailwheel conversion on a 1954 PA18 Super Cub with original brakes.

One day my instructor called and said, "Don't come down. The plane is in the shop for its annual inspection."

A week or so later I went down to finish up my training.

My instructor pointed to the brakes. "They put modern brakes on it. Stay off of them. It'll nose over now."

Before it wouldn't.

On mag checks, engine run up, standing on the old brakes, the Cub would start start creeping forward at 1400 RPM.

Supposed to check at 1700 RPM.

That option we didn't have.

I got used to using the grass alongside the runway for brakes.

 

About six months after checking out, being in the neighborhood I stopped to see how my old warhorse was doing.

"Upside down in  the hangar," was the answer I got.

"Someone stood on the new brakes, huh?"

"Yep," the man replied. "It'll fly again. But never again as an instructional aircraft."

 

My advice, "Make sure you are right side up when you go into the weeds at the end of the runway."

Never pitchpole that airplane.

Ground loop it if you must.

Stay off brakes on taildraggers as much as you can.

They are for taxiing, not stopping.

 

Can I get a big 'Amen'?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

well can those who want full braking and can use toe brake pedals please get back the option for full realistic braking.

 

"Full realistic braking" in the P-47 means the plane won't tip over. All of the instructional manuals mention that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Sheddan’s book, a Tempest pilot landed and promptly flipped the aircraft head-first on to its back (he survived, just). Turned out he had his parking brake on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vonNutz said:

You don't want good brakes on these planes.

I did my tailwheel conversion on a 1954 PA18 Super Cub with original brakes.

One day my instructor called and said, "Don't come down. The plane is in the shop for its annual inspection."

A week or so later I went down to finish up my training.

My instructor pointed to the brakes. "They put modern brakes on it. Stay off of them. It'll nose over now."

Before it wouldn't.

On mag checks, engine run up, standing on the old brakes, the Cub would start start creeping forward at 1400 RPM.

Supposed to check at 1700 RPM.

That option we didn't have.

I got used to using the grass alongside the runway for brakes.

 

About six months after checking out, being in the neighborhood I stopped to see how my old warhorse was doing.

"Upside down in  the hangar," was the answer I got.

"Someone stood on the new brakes, huh?"

"Yep," the man replied. "It'll fly again. But never again as an instructional aircraft."

 

My advice, "Make sure you are right side up when you go into the weeds at the end of the runway."

Never pitchpole that airplane.

Ground loop it if you must.

Stay off brakes on taildraggers as much as you can.

They are for taxiing, not stopping.

 

Can I get a big 'Amen'?

AMEN 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We dont want stronger than real brakes of course not. 
but we want to same as they had then 100% of the designed pressure..
Not the reduced amount we have now to help new players "Hand Holding"
 

It would be a simple tick box in realism Settings along with
AUTO RPM AUTO PILOT
Braking Assistance Off. (As its currently turned on and we cannot disable it.)

For those with toe brakes why would you flip the plane unless you make a mistake so then that's pilot/player error and no plane design fault.
Errors you can fix and eliminate by training.
For those with keyboard or brakes on throttle then you can leave default braking assistance on.

We should be able to lock brakes on planes that were able to then.
I'm not talking about adding more brakes.
I'm talking about allowing those who want it to turn off Braking assistance we have now (which currently hard coded on by reduction in braking ability..(
Will make taxiing much easier as can easily lock 1 wheel and turn on spot.

If we have braking assistance why not force on option so computer controls rudder on ground and tail wheel so 190's dont spin out :D
apparently Computer assistance is liked so why not?
 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

My point was the devs said they lowered braking ability on all planes cose people were constantly flipping over.
well can those who want full braking and can use toe brake pedals please get back the option for full realistic braking.

Keep in mind most planes should be able to do a runup on full continous power without rolling. but planes like 110 ingame cant even run 15% conti power before it creeps



 

 

Oh I'm not arguing that point at all, I was just wondering about the failsafe system. 

 

But if it's true that we have braking assists then I agree 100% that it should be a realism option. 

 

I can understand why they put it in but I have good rudder pedals and am in the process of designing and building a brake lever for my stick (as a part of my simpit project) and therefore don't need any assists.

I mean not everyone has a rudder axis so they put a rudder assist option in, why not for brakes too? 

🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2019 at 5:41 AM, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

We dont want stronger than real brakes of course not. 
but we want to same as they had then 100% of the designed pressure..
Not the reduced amount we have now to help new players "Hand Holding"
 

It would be a simple tick box in realism Settings along with
AUTO RPM AUTO PILOT
Braking Assistance Off. (As its currently turned on and we cannot disable it.)

For those with toe brakes why would you flip the plane unless you make a mistake so then that's pilot/player error and no plane design fault.
Errors you can fix and eliminate by training.
For those with keyboard or brakes on throttle then you can leave default braking assistance on.

We should be able to lock brakes on planes that were able to then.
I'm not talking about adding more brakes.
I'm talking about allowing those who want it to turn off Braking assistance we have now (which currently hard coded on by reduction in braking ability..(
Will make taxiing much easier as can easily lock 1 wheel and turn on spot.

If we have braking assistance why not force on option so computer controls rudder on ground and tail wheel so 190's dont spin out 😄
apparently Computer assistance is liked so why not?
 

 

Make a suggestion for dev. I'll agree with you. 

Better brake would make the taxiing easier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

 

Make a suggestion for dev. I'll agree with you. 

Better brake would make the taxiing easier. 


Sorry Someone else can..
Ive had enough of making suggestions and so on.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×