Gambit21

Did artillary always fire without an attack area/attack MCU?

I have some German 52K's that are shelling the player airfield on their own with no added logic, no "force complete low" either.

I like it. Was this always the case and I just never noticed?

I've been in the habit of placing attack area MCU's from day one so if they always behaved this way I never tested this before now.

I get that if I want to control where it's firing I need logic, but I'd always been under the impression that it would fire at all otherwise.

Same habit here and I could swear that in the old 2.x times at least, the arty won't lift a finger without an attack (area) command attached.

:drinks:

Mike

Hello gambit. I also noticed - not without pleasure... - that during a soviet artillery attack against a village, a german panzer fired by itself in defense against enemy forces. 

The problem was that it had a limited range of fire and I don't know which is the maximum distance in order to place it in a useful position to hit enemy.

Also I noticed that antiaircraft guns open fire autonoumsly when enemy planes are in range.  

Edited by Alfaunostebas11

On 1/22/2019 at 2:04 PM, Alfaunostebas11 said:

Hello gambit. I also noticed - not without pleasure... - that during a soviet artillery attack against a village, a german panzer fired by itself in defense against enemy forces. 

The problem was that it had a limited range of fire and I don't know which is the maximum distance in order to place it in a useful position to hit enemy.

Also I noticed that antiaircraft guns open fire autonoumsly when enemy planes are in range.  

I am doing tests with AAA. And indeed if the artillery is  enabled, it will fire if an enemy aircraft is in range. But only if the AAA gun and the aircraft have opposing nationalities (Russian, German). The advantage of this is that the defense of a target area is simple to do, just put the AAA guns and the will defend the target on their own if the enemy is in range. I would see two ways if for whatever reason you want the AAA to stay put even if an enemy comes in range:

1) Use the activate and deactivate triggers connected to all your AAA guns. Then you set the conditions you want to have this triggers fire or not. The drawback is that when you deactivate the object disappear from the screen and pop up again when activated. It lowers the load for the system in terms of objects, so that when you do not need they do not get displayed but in certain cases could be weird graphically speaking.

2) Change the nationality of the AAA guns from say German or Russian to Neutral. In this way the AAA guns stay visible but there is no more enemy to engage. To do that you must use a Behaviour Command and change the properties of the object, here the AAA gun.

Unfortunately version 2 does not work well. AI controlled Neutral objects as enemy of Russian or German AI controlled objects. Neutral is really Neutral but for the human controlled objects only.

Edited by IckyATLAS

Glad I stumbled upon this. Now no need for a million attack area mcus for AA guns. nice. 

Yep - except when you want a battery attacking one spot rather than another for effect purposes.

Alfa - yes that was always the case with tanks and the Russian rockets.

On the other hand a have a Russian gun that just sits there unless I give it more logic  ‘shrug’

So I just put down every soviet AA gun including vehicle mounted and search lights. I did a day and night test. Without any attack area command the only gun types to automatically engage an enemy aircraft was the Maxim MG (non vehicle one) and the 52k. The spotlights also kicked in around like 4km away give or take.  The ranges on both the maxim and 52k were really small. 

So in reality I will follow the same procedure as before, except maybe not with search lights. 

FYI, here are some notes I made while testing AA response once upon a time. I looked at AA alone, with attack area, and with force complete command. This may help if you find AA too aggressive or not aggressive enough.

• Thanks 1