Sign in to follow this  
PatCartier

Spad XIII photoscope

Thanks for the pictures.
Years ago I was in the Ferté-Alais, interesting planes are seen.

:salute:

Tell me if you come again a next time. There is an another nice airshow at Melun-Villaroche in september > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zNQNf6Mtmw

It can be seen that many details have not been taken into account in the 3D model...The work done is not of high quality and I regret it. Flying Circus and its consumers seem lacking consideration ...

Edited by PatCartier

Fantastic photos, thank you for sharing them.

One so often sees the louvred panels removed from the lower section of the engine in modern photographs of SPAD 13s, and yet so rarely in period photographs ( yes, I know one DOES see them removed in period photographs, I'm not starting anything!!! ).

I wonder why this is?

My first instinct is to think that many modern photographs are taken in Summer, for the air show season, and that the louvred panel impedes cooling airflow, which in turn makes me wonder whether the panels were removed at the front in hotter weather during the war and fitted in the Winter?

I'm sure one of the SPADaholics knows the answer.

Edited by SP1969

These are superb photos, thank you so much for posting.

SPADs don't seem to get the photo/video attention that other planes do. Never quite understood that. SPADs look awesome to me!

10 hours ago, SP1969 said:

Fantastic photos, thank you for sharing them.

One so often sees the louvred panels removed from the lower section of the engine in modern photographs of SPAD 13s, and yet so rarely in period photographs ( yes, I know one DOES see them removed in period photographs, I'm not starting anything!!! ).

I wonder why this is?

My first instinct is to think that many modern photographs are taken in Summer, for the air show season, and that the louvred panel impedes cooling airflow, which in turn makes me wonder whether the panels were removed at the front in hotter weather during the war and fitted in the Winter?

I'm sure one of the SPADaholics knows the answer.

It was to help cool the engine.  Was also done on the VII.  I suspect it isn't as common in period photographs as flights were normally at altitudes where the air was cold enough to not need to remove them on most days.

Thanks Garven,

Yes, that would make perfect sense.

I understand the British had a series of incidents with the SE5a when it was first introduced, eventually traced to paint clogging the radiator, leading to rapid overheating and subsequent engine failure.

Does the HS have a tendency to 'run hot'?

I remember "Le Temps des Helices", been there twice in 2012 and 2014. Did some pics as well. Especially WW1 aircraft fans will be very satisfied and I can recommend it to all of you ROF/FC guys and gals.

https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/28185-anyone-community-going/?p=424384

This years meeting is scheduled for June, 8th + 9th.

http://www.ajbs.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/page-information-meeting-AJBS-2019.pdf

Have to work this week, but will see if I can manage it to be there in June again.