Sign in to follow this  
A-tree

Dolphin vs DVII

Hi all, 

I'm relatively ignorant to Great War aviation history so please excuse me if this is common knowledge. FC is however encouring me on to learn more, and I'm finding it very enjoyable. 

With that in mind, what are the pros and cons of the Dolphin and the DVII?

I understand the DVII to be a very successful design? What was it that gave it the edge? 

The Dolphin I now next to nothing about. In The wikipedia top trumps game it seems to have some advantages. Yes, I know not the greatest source. 

Anyway, looking forward to hearing you opinions. 

P. S - any book recommendations would be great. 

Hi A Tree,

See PM.

44 minutes ago, A-tree said:

Hi all, 

I'm relatively ignorant to Great War aviation history so please excuse me if this is common knowledge. FC is however encouring me on to learn more, and I'm finding it very enjoyable. 

With that in mind, what are the pros and cons of the Dolphin and the DVII?

I understand the DVII to be a very successful design? What was it that gave it the edge? 

The Dolphin I now next to nothing about. In The wikipedia top trumps game it seems to have some advantages. Yes, I know not the greatest source. 

Anyway, looking forward to hearing you opinions. 

P. S - any book recommendations would be great. 

I don't know much about the dolphin but I do know a good deal about the d.vii. It was regarded as one of the most efficient and deadly planes at the end of the war. It had a thick wing like the dr.1 which allowed it to turn very agile, it had very forgiving stall characteristics so it was very good in the hands of inexperienced pilots. It was fast, not as fast as the spads 130 mph (if I remember correctly) but a remarkable 117 mph or 189 km/h, It had reinforced wings so it was better in a dive as well. equipped with a BMW IIIa engine it could actually prop hang for a moment before stalling, the engine and large wing area gave it a good rate of climb as well. Compared to the camel and the spad it was easy to use for beginners and deadly in the hands of an experienced pilot. A good book to read on it would be the first 12 or so chapters in Dan Hamptons "Lords of the Sky" it goes in depth on all ww1 planes from the beginning of the war and on.

If RoF is anything to go by, the D VII will be a dog and the Dolphin will lose it's wings in fright, even at the mear sight of a German 

The D VII f on the other hand, with it's uprated engine and used and abused altitude ( i.e,  any point after taking off and gaining some "altitude") boost button,  is the king of the William hill.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible
  • Like 1

I really hope they can do the DIIa, DIIIau and he BMW motor for the DVII. They really need to model different engines for single air frames like they do the spitfire on BoK.

They opted not to do so for the SPAD or Camel and I was disappointed by this choice.

S!

Hunter

• Like 2

Historically,, Dolphin was a weird high altitude intercptor - Tom Sopwiths attempt to get a piece of Hispano-Suiza pie that couldn't really compete with S.E.5a and Spad 13. Fokker D.VII was a very succesful plane, smooth to fly and easy to control.

In RoF, Dolphin is a British failed Albatros - mid performance, jack of all trades that's hard to fly and actively trying to kill you. It has very good and fast shooting guns, but is very fragile. It can fight D.VIIs on the deck and is good for strafing things, killing two-seaters, maybe BnZing Dr.Is if you are disciplined... actually it is a good for surprise attacks (except Spad and S.E.5 do it better...), but difficult to control and spin is nasty and comes without warning. It has the distinction of being only Entente "jack of all trades" plane, where everything else it either fast or maneuvrable but not both, but tradeoff in difficult handling isn't worth it.

I love my Dolphin. Can't wait to see it in FC and expect big changes in handling :D.

D.VII on Mercedes engine is often considered a dog as it does not turn as well as Albatros, and is unstable gun platform.  What people overlook is that it's fastest German plane without BMW engine, and quite sturdy. On RoF 1918 maps that don't have Camels and BMW German planes, I take D.VII over Albatros as it's better against Spads, S.E.5s or Dolphins; it has more speed than Albatros, the exta maneuvrability is not needed (when it comes to German 1918 planes and maneuvrability, it's pretty much "If you don't face Camel you don't need it, if you do face Camel it won't help you), and it's durable - no glass wings like in Albatros or D.XII, no glass engine like in Fokker D.VII. 

D.VIIF with BMW engine is the king over 2k. Until one bullet goes near the engine.

Edited by J2_Trupobaw

"when it comes to German 1918 planes and maneuvrability, it's pretty much "If you don't face Camel you don't need it, if you do face Camel it won't help you"

That made me chuckle, Trupobaw.