Sign in to follow this  
templargfx

Oculus - Get rid of SteamVR for good!

Hi All,

This is for Oculus owners out there.

I really don't like SteamVR, it uses CPU and GPU to create yet another VR environment ontop of the VR Environment that Oculus Runtime is also generating. It eats at your performance for no reason, and messes with graphics quality with options you can't control.

Enter OpenComposite.  A small tool that implements OpenVR directly into the Oculus Runtime, allowing all OpenVR games to be played directly from the Oculus Home, instead of Steam. It also means direct control of the game via the Oculus Tray Tool is possible, as SteamVR isn't in the middle to screw things up.

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR

I use the Runtime Switcher, and run it instead of SteamVR when its time to play.    I gained about 10fps just by removing Steam VR!

Ill Be honest, Im not sure what you mean.

You just Run IL2 like your going to play it in normal desktop mode and if you have OpenComposite Runtime Switcher enabled, the game will start up in Oculus as a VR game.

Sorry mate, but this is false. The Oculus environment / Steam environment do not affect performance, they are not layered in the background. I did extensive testing on the performance in regard to this case in ceteris paribus, and proved this. They just stop getting rendered alltogether, they do not exist while you are in a sub-application.

There is always only one environment getting rendered at a time. You do not lose a single frame in IL-2, if you keep them running.

Evidence you can find in chiliwili69's performancethread in the VR section of the fora, just use the search function on my name in there and dig a bit.

The good thing is - you can rest assured, that you can keep the Software as it is without losing performance. 🙏😁

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

I tried opencomposite, but there are some problems: I can not select anything in quick battle menu (black screen instead of map), nor in missions/campaign. Also on multiplayer all planes are locked, but I own some of them. I shows 90 fps in garage, and I would like to try it... I bought game trough steam, is that a problem?

Also got the Steam version. After getting OpenComposite to work i had no drawbacks or things that didnt work in Il2, everything works just fine. Didnt really expect to see difference but still noticed less of the small hickups i occasionally got when running via Steam VR. Other users had similar observations, overall seems just smoother. i def. recommend it

Actual around 20 testruns vs "feelings of myself and others". Can book the latter under confirmation bias. Sure go ahead, try to get it running, for no documented effect at all. Quite the contrary. The minimum fps/ max frametime was always parts of the results - which are the hickups. No difference. 🤦‍♂️

Well, you're free to do as you want.

I just wonder, why did I even compare them properly. Wouldn't do that again. 😂

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

On 1/20/2019 at 4:11 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Actual around 20 testruns vs "feelings of myself and others". Can book the latter under confirmation bias. 🤦‍♂️

I wasnt talking about "feeling" but "observing" a difference. The effect I described occurs mostly when i move my head fast from side to side. While using SteamVR i frequently had the problem of the image tearing and reapearing, or readjusting so to say. I always contributed that issue to the sensors, not cleanly tracking the head movement, even after a fresh recalibration.

When i first ran OpenComposite, i wasnt "looking" for a smoother expirience, i even rather expected it to be choppier, just as described by the first post in the OpemComposite thread.

After playing for a while i noticed overall gameplay didnt have these pronounced, lets call them tears, whlie dogfighting. Making the overall experience smoother. After more than 200 hours in VR i am comfortable to say a can notice a difference like this one.

I dont know, and honestly dont care, if this effect can be reproduced or validated with "testruns" since its more a problem occuring while actual flying, not playing some predefined testrack.

Everybody who ist interessted to try, i highly recommend doing so and see for themself if OpenComposite makes a difference for them.

OpenComposite is also an API breaker, like SteamVR, so still some performance lost, what we need is native Oculus SDK support.

I have issues with 90% of games that run with SteamVR, but this one goes really smooth ...

... except when I enter the menus, map, loading screen, etc. But when flying it works flawless.

The worst for me is when I',m flying and I pop the map out, also when zooming the map, everything dissapears for some seconds.

Some interesting litareture about native Oculus Support:
https://developer.x-plane.com/2018/02/x-plane-11-20-vr4-is-live/

As we said we would do from the very beginning, we investigated the relative performance of X-Plane through the native Oculus SDK versus SteamVR and what we found, through data collection, is that the overall experience for Oculus users was better by going through the Oculus SDK directly. I know many of you are thinking “Duh! I told you that a month ago ya big dummy!” and yes…yes you did. Fortunately/Unfortunately, we try not to make engineering decisions based on gut feelings and anecdotal evidence when we have a way to collect actual numbers. We wanted to tackle a majority of the usability issues affecting everyone before we looked into performance.

In the various A/B tests that we performed, we found that going to the Oculus SDK directly got us about 25% improvement in frame rate. This does not necessarily indicate that there’s anything wrong with SteamVR itself. There are several factors influencing the performance in VR. First, Oculus has their “home”, that little bachelor pad where you hang out while waiting for games to load. SteamVR has their “home” as well. When you use SteamVR, BOTH are running on your machine. Those houses are not free and X-Plane is already CPU bottlenecked so anything consuming CPU resources is going to directly affect performance. (I noticed an Autodesk updater in my task manager that was stealing 5% of my CPU consistently. That too was decreasing my performance….every bit matters!). Going directly to the Oculus SDK removes the SteamVR house from the equation.

Sure, getting 25% improvement is a huge win, but that’s NOT the biggest win. The biggest win, in my opinion, is that Asynchronous Space Warp (ASW) works MUCH better even at very low frames rates down to about 22.5fps. It appears as though the timing of the frames is critical for ASW to work properly. Being at 22.5, 30, 45, 90fps feels smooth! Being in between those frame timings seems to make ASW lose its mind creating an annoying judder; the opposite of what ASW is supposed to be doing for us. Oculus seems to be V-Syncing us to hit those intervals, allowing their algorithms to make reliable timing decisions and predictions. It’s my suspicion that SteamVR was just not hitting those intervals, causing ASW to flip out.

TLDR; Performance for Oculus will be on par with what Vive users have been seeing all along. The smoothness of the rendering seems consistent even down to 22.5fps. If you’re a Vive user, you will still, of course, need SteamVR as that IS your native SDK. If you’re a WMR user, you will still need SteamVR. I have not seen any reprojection issues with WMR like we have with Oculus. Supposedly the upcoming versions of SteamVR have some performance improvements coming for WMR users as well so we’ll be sticking with SteamVR for all headsets other than Oculus. That can always change in the future…based on data.

Edited by =SFF=_cercataa

Using OpenComposite I can say I'm also seeing a difference on smoothing side with IL-2. My FPS stay more locked to the 90's in my own test scene, and game loading time have been greatly improved (reduced). I have far less hickups. Also, I don't see that SteamVR void screen with my sensors displayed each time fps drop. The game still displayed in all case, which is another big plus. Only caveat is when loading mission, as usually the SteamVR void screen take place here, and with OpenComposite you have to deal with an uncomfortable fake 3D screen with both eyes displaying something different (I usually close one eye during this) ;) 

I manage to try opencomposite at the end; My steam email/account had to be same as my il-2 email/account. After changing it on steam, my airplanes were again unlocked!

I was flying last few days a little bit in stem vr, and then in opencomposite; first impression was that opencomposite was smoother and better. Then I red again first post from SCG_Fenris_Wolfand I tested it more. Unfortunatelly, my fps were with booth vr enviroments similar, or same. Several times I got hiccups, low to 22-28 fps, but that happens in booth enviroments. I wish that OpenComposite was better than Stem VR, but it is not the truth in my case.

Also, with really low ss (0.8), the picture looks a little bit more blured in OpenComposite.  

Edited by Brzi_Joe

45 minutes ago, Agathos_Deimon said:

I have also used both in IL2 and my experience is that OpenComposite is a tiny bit smoother with maybe a very few frames more, but SteamVR provides the better Image.

I think image wise there should be no difference. SS must be manage via Oculus Tray Tool, i use 1.2 (1600x1906 Pixel density) i never saw a difference in Image quality compared to Steam VR SS.