Sign in to follow this  
Dagwoodyt

VKB Gunfighter Pro Dry Clutches

Am getting ready to install this unit. Is it mandatory to loosen dry clutches before first use?

Most definitely as they tighten them down for shipping.

Mine felt fully loose out of the box. 

One of mine was loose, the other wasn't.  My gunfighter's base also has a nasty scratch in it.  I think VKB's quality control is a bit lacking.

1 hour ago, JG13_opcode said:

One of mine was loose, the other wasn't.  My gunfighter's base also has a nasty scratch in it.  I think VKB's quality control is a bit lacking.

Noted minor scratch on extension out of the box.

Guess I should install #50 springs in addition to loosening clutches. Any suggestions on whether the #50 springs are needed?

4 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Noted minor scratch on extension out of the box.

Guess I should install #50 springs in addition to loosening clutches. Any suggestions on whether the #50 springs are needed?

With the extension yes.

I am using #50 and #20 both on each axis.

3 hours ago, dburne said:

With the extension yes.

I am using #50 and #20 both on each axis.

Thanks. I installed single #50's on both axes. Unfortunately I mounted with spring barrels facing out so will try to make do with that setup to start. Not having proper zip tie I was able to hook stationary posts using small screwdriver. Safety goggles and gloves enabled bloodless spring install.

34 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Thanks. I installed single #50's on both axes. Unfortunately I mounted with spring barrels facing out so will try to make do with that setup to start. Not having proper zip tie I was able to hook stationary posts using small screwdriver. Safety goggles and gloves enabled bloodless spring install.

springs are a biatch to install in these units. But don't fret, there's a very easy trick.

1) Get either a fishing line, or a strong thread, or just unfold a long paperclip.

2) install one end of the spring on the post

3) grab the other end of the spring using the thread/fishing line/folded in half paper clip, pull/extend the spring and install it on the other post.

don't use pliers. The spring will slip out 50% of the time. 😄

kind of like this.. 😄  😄  😄

image.png.bd111457e1d35dbda87d233b6e98109f.png

1 hour ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Glad to help. But get those small zip ties, makes life so much easier.

Thanks much for the suggestions, including drawing. I am surviving so far on the single #50's. Still trying to come to terms with the feel of the GF Pro. Don't want to say too much lest my bubble burst, but feels very impressive so far. Very minimal inputs required for control. No regrets ATM.

I started using it last week. At first it felt like 'hmmm... this feels kind of strange, but not mind blowing' ...🤔

But then I suddenly realized how much easier and precise flying had instantly become.  Everything feels intuitive and natural.  Love it.

(That said, I got it up and running on the same day I reinstalled IL-2 1946 +VP Modpack, and I haven't tried it in BoX or DCS yet because I have been having too much fun landing on carriers in the Pacific. :joy:)

12 hours ago, moosya said:

1) Get either a fishing line, or a strong thread, or just unfold a long paperclip.

Zip ties ;)

10 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

Zip ties ;)

crocheting hook.. 😄   anything in a small and rigid hook form.

1 hour ago, moosya said:

crocheting hook.. 😄   anything in a small and rigid hook form.

The more options the better. I think i'm going to eventually try the #50+#20's, but not any time soon. I'm still trying to get over my first experience installing the #50's. Modded Warbrd box with shelf to accomodate the GF Pro. Both sticks clear bottom lip of desk by 1cm.

GF Pro01 - Copy.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1