Sign in to follow this  
-Skaro-Doomerz

OpenTrack limited pitch and absolutely no yaw

Hey all,

I am trying to get my headtracking set up in IL2 so I can fly comfortably. I have gone through the trouble of working it out in war thunder, but when I come to IL2 I have a limited range of pitch and yaw doesn't work at all. I tried switching the output even so roll is yaw and that didn't work either, which I thought was odd. I would really love some help with this, I am coming to a head on what I can think to do on my own.

Much Appreciated,

Doomerz

Hi,

What is your full setup please? are you using the usual modified ps3 camera and 3d printed clip?

When you say this works in war thunder I take it when you start head tracking in the app you're seeing the three points indicated clearly (what are their pixel sizes btw?) and the X, Y, and Z values are altering as you move round?

for me I use the Trackhat version of opentrack but i've had no issues at all, i simply start the program, boot IL2 and i'm away.

what are the turn and look values in your mapping profile and what do you have set as input and output?

output wise i'm using freetrack 2.0 enhanced.

also, do you have the latest version?

thanks

Thanks for getting back to me,
I am using Opentrack with the Trackhat setup. I was using the Trackhat software but for some reason I moved to Opentrack. The Trackhat software is broken for me in IL2. Trackhat software gives 5-6 for the top 2 leds and 3-4 for the bottom. Open track gives 7+ for the top 2 and 4+ for the bottom. (in px). everything is mapped and functioning properly and works seemlessly for war thunder in all 6 axes. Opentrack 2.3.10 is what I am using with freetrack 2.0 enhanced. I have the mappings dialed in for war thunder and I see them moving, but no response for yaw in the game, and pitch gives about half what it should. Other than that, x,y,z, and roll are working as intended.

For the pitch make sure the mapping in OT goes to 180 degrees. You can also try just creating a profile specifically for IL2, start with a new empty and go through the OT set-up, give it a name and then you can tell OT which profile to use in the options, game detection tab. You should also be able to get larger pixel sizes for the led's. 7 is probably OK, but I would aim for something around 8 - 9 for all three.

You can adjust the pixel size by modifying the values seen in this pic:

pointtracker..JPG

Hard to say about the yaw, does the octopus move correctly in the OT window? What camera are you using?

Edited by No_85_Gramps

What Gramps said on the Pitch worked for me.  On the yaw, check Options, Output and make sure you haven't accidently disabled yaw.

my min size is 2.5 and max is 50.0 for point extraction. The octopus moves correctly, yaw and the whole nine work in war thunder, just not IL2.

This was an old cure for OT issues. Go to the data folder and open the startup.cfg file. Look for the "old_trackir =" entry and if it's 0 change to 1, or vice versa. Also, what camera are you using??? 

The reason I ask is because how it's settings are have an effect on the pixel size OT displays. Is it possible for you to post a screen capture showing how things look in your camera software?

And have you tried creating a completely new profile in OT just for IL2?

Edited by No_85_Gramps

Sorry for the delay, I haven't had time to work on flying for the last week or so. When I switched 'old_trackir' to 1 it fails to have any of the axes respond. (I adjusted show trackir and hide freetrack to be sure). I am using the ps3 eye that came with my trackhat kit. What kind of images are you looking for from the software? if you are talking about the video feed; it is all pitch black except the little lights that it detects from my clip. I have created a new profile for IL2 called, IL2test. Moving pitch output to 180deg has resolved the pitch restriction. Further, I have tested the problem by switching the outputs of pitch and yaw to be vice versa of the inputs. Curiously, the yaw worked fluidly for pitch, but pitch input (or rather yaw output) seemed to be ignored entirely. I find it strange that it would seem that the whole thing works fine, except the game just ignores yaw.

If you can, attach a copy of the IL2test profile to a post here (rename it IL2test.txt). I can then try out the profile to see what happens here. It should help us narrow down the problem.

Okay, I tried your profile and yaw worked just as it should for me. I use a 3 pt clip and not a hat. Really strange, I've never run into the issue that you are having. If it's working fine in other games then I would have to guess it may have something to do with the game settings in IL2. You can always look at the key bindings/camera settings in IL2 and see if anything looks out of place. Have to think about this for a while and see if anything else comes to mind.  

I agree, very strange. The other keybindings wouldn't override the input would they? If that were the case, I would think that other axes would be affected in turn.

Hello to everyone

Having the same issue (no yaw output and a little pitch movement) with opentrack and a Diy 3 ir led clip, I gave a try to all suggestions I've found around the net, nothing worked. Finally I read a post where someone  said that unplugging the joystick opentrack starts to work correctly. So I started to think that the problem could be a command conflict and it was! I had assigned horizontal and vertical head movement ( turn head and bow head) to tm twcs throttle hat axis and this assignment prevented, IMHO,  the correct execution of opentrack input. I simply disabled this assignments and opentrack starts working like a charm.

Hope this helps

Good flights

• Like 1

My dude, YOU made the magic happen. I feel such a fool for not bothering to try that. I unbound the non-mouse axes for head movement and it worked. I had pondered doing so, but figured it would have been futile given that the y-axis was working fine with the exact same respective bindings. Cheers, and god bless you for dropping the line here with the solution. O7

I'm Glad you too solved the issue and, at the same time,  I'm happy I could help someone as I was a lot of times😊😊

Cheers