Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Graphics setting for long range terrain?

Been practicing navigation on the P-47 and discovered I don't have the graphics set right to display terrain objects when I'm cruising at 15,000 ft.

What controls that, and what general distances should things be set to to support visual navigation in the 15-25kft range? 

Thank you

Harry Voyager 

Objects like buildings and planes all render in a bubble 10km independent of graphic settings.

I guess High settings should make the unrendered objects like town farther than 10km stand out a bit more so you should be able to navigate better

That should give visibility at a 45 degree slant range up to 22,000 ft, so I should still be seeing stuff? 

Also, hadn't the visibility distance been bumped out to 40km? Or am I remembering that wrong? 

43 minutes ago, Voyager said:

That should give visibility at a 45 degree slant range up to 22,000 ft, so I should still be seeing stuff? 

Also, hadn't the visibility distance been bumped out to 40km? Or am I remembering that wrong? 

Bumped from 40km to 150km.

In settings you want to increase "distant landscape detail" (depending on your system, try 3x or even 4x) and horizon draw distance (up to 150km).

• Upvote 1

Spasibo! I'll try that.

Does that tend to be CPU heavy or Graphics card heavy? My CPU is on the old side but the GPU is recent. 

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Spasibo! I'll try that.

Does that tend to be CPU heavy or Graphics card heavy? My CPU is on the old side but the GPU is recent. 

For the terrain rendering (the flat bit, not including any objects sitting on it)

Distant landscape detail: Improves the textures of terrain further away from you. Cost is GPU and VRAM.

Horizon draw distance: Changes the distance at which the horizon is drawn. Cost is mainly GPU and VRAM (but a little bit of CPU)

For object distance (maximum is 10km)

Preset: (Yeah, the general setting on the left) changes a whole host of graphics, one of which is the object draw distance (how far away objects are rendered). High CPU, GPU, VRAM and RAM cost.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

For the terrain rendering (the flat bit, not including any objects sitting on it)

Distant landscape detail: Improves the textures of terrain further away from you. Cost is GPU and VRAM.

Horizon draw distance: Changes the distance at which the horizon is drawn. Cost is mainly GPU and VRAM (but a little bit of CPU)

For object distance (maximum is 10km)

Preset: (Yeah, the general setting on the left) changes a whole host of graphics, one of which is the object draw distance (how far away objects are rendered). High CPU, GPU, VRAM and RAM cost.

there is mod out there that allows for infinite rendering of objects, including planes(not sure of how far they were being rendered, and when I used it I saw no real impact on my pcs performance

On 1/15/2019 at 5:39 AM, R6ckStar said:

there is mod out there that allows for infinite rendering of objects, including planes(not sure of how far they were being rendered, and when I used it I saw no real impact on my pcs performance

The mod works for ships and smoke, not for planes. It is labeled draw distance in the mods section. 

Well aparently there here is a mod for planes draw distance. 

Edited by rowdyb00t

The problem with the plane one is that you need a different one for each plane you want to fly. But it's rather promising thing to have around for sure.

Is there one for buildings, bridges and other ground objects? I'm ok with the trees being textures but the towns largely disappear at 20,000ft, even with the horizon set to 150km and distant landscape detail set to 4x.

Can be done, but last time I read the thread it would mean editing entries for every single object you want to have visible at all times.

Probably best to just read the thread: