PandaCheese

Is the radio always tuned to the nearest NDB or only mission ones?

16 minutes ago, PandaCheese said:

For example when returning from a sortie does it tune in to your home base or just the closest NDB?

Just the closest.

• Upvote 1

Be nice and more realistic if we had some way to tune and ID a specific station.

• Upvote 5

On 1/12/2019 at 8:29 PM, Bert_Foster said:

Be nice and more realistic if we had some way to tune and ID a specific station.

Or have at least 3-3 NDB channels for both sides, like 1-2-3 for blue team, 4-5-6 for red team.

Edited by -[HRAF]BubiHUN

From the outside it seems like a relatively simple implementation.

Probably not too high on the priority list at the moment but things like this sometimes add more value than new content itself. It gives a new life to the previously released content which is great.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PandaCheese said:

This makes me wonder what the existing tune radio to allied/axis control is supposed to do?

Exactly what it says - it'll tune into the other side's radio channel in single player mode, if the plane has the capability. It's also needed to use the P-39's radio compass. 

I inferred PandaCheese was asking a more nuanced question. As in why are the tuning options friend/foe and not friend#1 (or airbase #1)/friend#2 (airbase#2)? What is the logic behind the ability to select the enemy's NDB? I agree with Bubi's suggestion, having a couple NDB options on each side. 

1 hour ago, busdriver said:

What is the logic behind the ability to select the enemy's NDB?

? There is no ability to tune into the enemy's NDB. 

Then help me out, please. When I use [LAlt] [C] and I see the technochat alternate between allied and axis channel, what is being tuned, a communication channel? I was obviously mistaken thinking this was related to navigation. I confess the Russian and German language in game commentary is simply background noise, but I don't think the language changed when I switched channels. Thus my assumption I was switching nav channels and not comm channels.

428557027_Radiotuning.jpg.9f71f3dfd2c2438621aee6bded74ec2f.jpg

11 hours ago, busdriver said:

Then help me out, please. When I use [LAlt] [C] and I see the technochat alternate between allied and axis channel, what is being tuned, a communication channel?

Correct, it switches between the Allied (4.0 megahertz) and Axis (3.7 megahertz) comms channels. In addition, if you have the radio compass fitted in the P-39, it will switch to RDF mode as well.

The ability to assign NDB channels (up to ten of them, if I remember correctly) to individual NDBs is already built into the ME as a non-functioning placeholder - it's just not implemented yet. I seem to recall Han saying in a DD that there is no demand for this - or that players aren't using them - Erm, I can't remember exactly.

Anyway, Devs! Make it so!

13 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Correct, it switches between the Allied (4.0 megahertz) and Axis (3.7 megahertz) comms channels. In addition, if you have the radio compass fitted in the P-39, it will switch to RDF mode as well.

Copy that. I saw the tuning animation in the P-40. And indeed the radio chatter changes from Russian to German. This is a head scratcher for me, I just don't see the intent for the SP gamer. Thanks for correcting my misperception. :salute:

15 hours ago, No601_Swallow said:

I seem to recall Han saying in a DD that there is no demand for this - or that players aren't using them - Erm, I can't remember exactly.

Anyway, Devs! Make it so!

I’d like to demand.😁 Being able to tune to specific beacons within range would make navigation a lot convenient vs the halfassed way it works now, i.e. pointing to god knows what.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, busdriver said:

Copy that. I saw the tuning animation in the P-40. And indeed the radio chatter changes from Russian to German. This is a head scratcher for me, I just don't see the intent for the SP gamer. Thanks for correcting my misperception. :salute:

No problem. 🙂 My guess is that it's meant to give the player extra info about whether there are enemies in the area before the player knows they are there. In any case, yes, I would also like to see this expanded to selectable NDBs and - where appropriate - to filter out radio traffic from friendly flights that are not in my area of operations.