GCF

Help Needed ! on a number of questions about game.

1. Proper way of using the Fokker D.VIIF engine dive throttle control, what is this supposed to do, in game, and how is it used ?

2. How do i see the chat log in game when flying in VR, i can only send, in game, not read chat, is this normal ?

3. what is the best way get in game recordings while flying in VR, it into a format i can upload to you tube, with least work and best quality image and sound possable.

Hope you can help !

• Upvote 1

Is the D.VII F out now? I was on earlier today, but am out and about at the moment.

1) I'm not aware of any 'engine dive throttle control' - but the D.VII F does have an altitude throttle, perhaps that's what you refer to? Essentially, the altitude throttle does exactly what it says on the tin. The higher you climb, the more altitude throttle you can pile on for extra power at higher altitude. It really boosts the D.VII F's high altitude performance (which, as a SPAD pilot, I'm not too happy about ;) )

Can't help with VR, I'm afraid, I'm still on good ol' TrackIR.

I think GC is maybe referring to the Alt Throttle command that's appeared in the menu system, in anticipation of the arrival of said crate.

S!

• Like 1

Re. the altitude throttle, see this video by Requiem.

Edited by JimTM
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Wolfram-Harms said:

I thought this was the FLYING CIRCUS department here? We should not get things mixed up.
If you want to chat about RoF stuff, here is the forum for that:

https://riseofflight.com/forum/

i am talking about the IL-2 FC controls menu , if you go down engine controls, and go down listto the end of common engine controls and just before engine one , setting you will see the control setting for Focker engine Dive throttle control key bindings. believe me i would be the last person who would post about ROF in the FC forum 😀, the only reason i ask is i use it as an instant on / off engine in flight control, works on all 4 planes in FC not just german planes 🙂 at the momentit is wierd to setup and found out how by accident, was just wondering if this was a bug or how this function is suppose to work in game.

8 hours ago, US103_Larner said:

Is the D.VII F out now? I was on earlier today, but am out and about at the moment.

1) I'm not aware of any 'engine dive throttle control' - but the D.VII F does have an altitude throttle, perhaps that's what you refer to? Essentially, the altitude throttle does exactly what it says on the tin. The higher you climb, the more altitude throttle you can pile on for extra power at higher altitude. It really boosts the D.VII F's high altitude performance (which, as a SPAD pilot, I'm not too happy about ;) )

Can't help with VR, I'm afraid, I'm still on good ol' TrackIR.

I wish , sorry for getting your hopes up, but for the moment FC only Has 4 planes.

30 minutes ago, GCF said:

i am talking about the IL-2 FC controls menu , if you go down engine controls, and go down listto the end of common engine controls and just before engine one , setting you will see the control setting for Focker engine Dive throttle control key bindings. believe me i would be the last person who would post about ROF in the FC forum 😀, the only reason i ask is i use it as an instant on / off engine in flight control, works on all 4 planes in FC not just german planes 🙂 at the momentit is wierd to setup and found out how by accident, was just wondering if this was a bug or how this function is suppose to work in game.

No plane currently released uses the altitude throttle right now. That will change with the D.VIIF. There's no such thing as a dive throttle.

Edited by LukeFF

34 minutes ago, GCF said:

I wish , sorry for getting your hopes up, but for the moment FC only Has 4 planes.

Like I said, I'm a SPAD pilot! I wouldn't exactly be horrified if the D.VII F never showed up 😆

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, LukeFF said:

No plane currently released uses the altitude throttle right now. That will change with the D.VIIF. There's no such thing as a dive throttle.

okay did ww1 planes have an in air engine kill switch ? not the engine start stop procedure and not the blip switch, i mean an in air way of instantly killing the engine in flight and instantly restart it without long start stop procedure, as in game this is what i use the function for, just dont want to be cheating, or exploiting a glitch in the game to get an unfair advantage.

58 minutes ago, GCF said:

...you will see the control setting for Focker engine Dive throttle control key bindings.

Sorry, but the only special throttle the Fokker D.VII F has, is the altitude throttle. There is no "dive throttle" on any plane I know.

22 minutes ago, GCF said:

okay did ww1 planes have an in air engine kill switch ? 

You can stop the engine with the ENGINE START/ENGINE STOP command.
Since the motor is warm, you shouldn't need a new start-up proceedure - just restart it.
In steep dives you just pull throttle back almost fully. Let the engine on, but reduce engine revs so it won't get damaged.
In the rotary planes, you could use the blip-switch for that.

Of course every aircraft has it's limits for steep dives - some do better, some worse.
No WW1 aircraft could dive vertically without getting damaged - at least not for a longer time.
But the Pfalz or the SPAD are quite stable. Later the Fokker D.VII should also be, or the S.E.5a.

Edited by Wolfram-Harms
  • Thanks 1

thanks that explains it. i am using Start stop mapped to same command, me bad, works just as you say with that Start / Stop prucedure buttom, mapped same control , thanks for info much appreciated. one question solved, just 2 to go 🙂 thanks

Edited by GCF
wrong quote

Altitude throttle: Start throttled down, increase as you climb until you hear engine misfiring, then decrease until it stops. Repeat every few minutes. In D.VIIF I think it's 25% every 500m, with full power deployed at 2k. Think of it as inverted mixture with sound effect if you overdo it and you'll be fine.

Diving in D.VII - don't exceed 1600 RPM, don't lose your wings :)..

It's split into 3 sections.

I'm sure I read the 'correct' movements were at 1k, 2k, and 3k.

But you can certainly get away with it at 500m, 1k, 1.5k, that's how most use it.

Pfalz DXII also has this, but unfortunately you can't see visually where it's set.

If you apply too much you'll hear a rasping noise from your engine.

S!

• Upvote 1

You can use the altitude throttle right from the take-off if you need a fast climb to intercept something, because it gives you a nice boost in power. Just keep the lever on the edge when the engine sputters and makes noise. You can even let the lever above the sputter level because after a few seconds it will stop (you are climbing). Then you set it again just above the stutter edge and go doing that until about 1300m. Then it will stop sputtering and you are good to go with it at 100%.

You can also use the altitude throttle at deck level in some emergency cases. I don't know how long you can use it (I think it is 60 seconds) until your engine is damaged, but it gives you the extra torque to get away in some situations. You can crank the altitude throttle all the way up in these cases. When the D7 arrives, you will hear people using the altitude throttle at low altitudes around you (it cleanly sputters in a rasping noise as ZF mentioned). Some people use it well in these cases, others just blow their engines with it.

- About the chat back log, punch O for the map with on your left a chat log box.

- You ever stopped your engine in flight just punching “e” will not just restart it without resetting the gas mix to 100% .
   Also you will need the propeller turning before the engine will catch which needs a dive.
   Diving will also need to shut your radiator for inline engines;

-  About the Fokker DVIIf altitude/Haugengas throttle the old ROF instructions manual reads as follows:

The altitude (Haugengas) throttle can be used at and above 2000m.
Initially the pilot should select 1/3 open altitude throttle up to a height of 3000m where it should be opened to half.

Once a height of 4000m has been obtained it can be opened fully.
Ensure the throttle is closed accordingly as the aircraft descends.
Use of the throttle below 2000m is prohibited.”

Next the user continues by hand probably quoting his instructor:
”Achtung!
This is not strictly true.
The emergency throttle may be employed below 2000m
An experienced pilot can listen to the engine rate.
Open the throttle until you hear the engine misfiring or other unusual sounds.
Prolonged use below 2000m should be avoided however.”

For the practical side go with what Trupo and Zooropa_Fly said.

Of course if on a fast food dogfight server you may hear most low flying d7f planes making that coffee blender noise.
Against the time that kind of structural damage can’t be denied any longer they are likely in need of a new one anyway)))

Edited by West
  • Like 1

For the practical side / performance wise you can (should if needed) use the altitude throttle right from the take-off, piste. These flight models are not like the real thing. It is just an approximation.

In-game, the best way to treat these machines is to take them for a ride and understand how they work [edited]. Then you use it to the limit when necessary.

Unless you are playing single player and is into role-playing.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

About your recording problem while using VR, have you tried yet if the in game flight recording possibility?

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:17 PM, J2_Trupobaw said:

… Diving in D.VII - don't exceed 1600 RPM ...

^^ this

The misfiring caused by an inappropriate altitude throttle setting may eventually be denied however this max 1600 rpm may not, that is if you do not want to overrev and a oiled goggle which the slightest inadvertent dip of the nose under the horizon may cause, something you soon will be able to experience )))
Inline engine – so no blip switch – you will need you to fly with the throttle handy.

Edited by West