Sign in to follow this  
cripplehawk

A question on JG51 Mölders and Stalingrad

Were these guys in Stalingrad at any time when the fighting was fierce in 1942? Or was it a dramatic license for the game.  Especially when it came to the FW190.

I could not find anything on the web or documentaries. I know they were located near Leningrad at the time. But did they send any detachments to Stalingrad?

As far as i know they were not. Their activities were limited to the western edge of our stalingrad Moscow map. In fact there is a scripted campaign in this forum related to those activities. 

Edited by Field-Ops

No groups of JG 51 were anywhere near Stalingrad. The areas we have in the game where JG 51 was active are Moscow and Velikie Luki. If you are looking for historical Fw-190 campaigns for JG 51 you should look here:

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Upvote 1

Fw 190 A-3s only show up on the Stalingrad map when you are flying in an A-3 unit. It is to allow people who bought the plane to use it in career mode. 

Edited by LukeFF

According the Bergstrom BC:RS 3, 51 had a very bloody time in Rzhev-Orel area during the summer of ‘42 and were becoming pretty exhausted. IIRC they were one of the last F-2 operators in the vicinity, retaining more than a few worn-out examples. This may be one reason that they were rotated back for 190s.

Going off memory as the book is in my old flat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

According the Bergstrom BC:RS 3, 51 had a very bloody time in Rzhev-Orel area during the summer of ‘42 and were becoming pretty exhausted. IIRC they were one of the last F-2 operators in the vicinity, retaining more than a few worn-out examples. This may be one reason that they were rotated back for 190s.

Going off memory as the book is in my old flat.

That's correct. I/JG51 was the first unit to convert, then II/JG51 but they stopped their conversion to be sent to North Africa with new Bf-109, except 6 Staffel who later became Stabstaffel, flying mostly ground attack mission flying FWs and 109s. III and IV gruppen followed in early 1943. JG 51 started reverting to the 109 following Zitadelle. 

I./JG51 got their first Fw190s (43) when based at Jesau (10.8.42 - 10.9.42). The flew the Fw190 till Feb '44 when they received Bf109G-6s.

II./JG51 also got their first Fw190s (35) when based at Jesau (7.10.42 - 5.11.42). In Nov, they received 5 more Fw190s and 36 Bf109G-2Trop. In Dec, no Fw190s.

III./JG51 flew the Fw190s from Nov '42 to Apr '44.

IV./Jg51 flew the Fw190s from Feb '43 to July '43.

7 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

11th commandment:

Thou shalt not forget the Dora.

Aye, part of IV./JG 51 converted to it in 1945. 

• Upvote 1