GarandM1

How is the AI?

I am curious as to how the Great Battles AI is performing in the WWI birds. Do they provide a good challenge? Are the AI planes fun to fight against? AI is my biggest concern at this point as I have never liked the way the AI handles the WWII planes (flying in endless circles) so I wanted to see what you guys think of it as is. 

Seems pretty similar to be honest - they do tend to fly in circles a lot. 

I'm not a very good pilot, but I have no trouble beating a single "Ace" AI. In fact, I can often fight 4 simultaneously but it does pose a challenge. 

I still regard it as fun, but multiplayer is probably the way to go. 

Not differend from the other BoX series you already own. Do not think 1c would be changed this AI only for FC. 

The Flying Circus AI planes are really hard to shoot down. They take a lot of hits without going down or damage enough to go down. Seldom do I get a kill unless the pilot is killed or the plane is burning. Have not seen the wings fold and fall off as in Wings of Flight.  

BadBud

They seem a little smarter, but not much of a challenge. Seen some behaviour that shows promise, though! Dr.I's trying to climb away, Pfalzes diving all the way to the deck to evade, etc.

One really great improvement is the AI don't seem quite as predictable as the old RoF AI, the eternal downward spiral is gone, thank god!

As mentioned, the aircraft themselves are a lot tougher, and the majority of kills are flamers or pilot kills, which seems to be more historical from the pilot accounts I've read! Aircraft still break up, but it takes a lot of damage to put them away via structural break-up.

Edited by US103_Larner
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the feedback! What kind of future does this game have for multiplayer? If the single player is a bit wonky and the MP is dead, I worry about whether or not I'd get my money's worth. I really want FC to be great, I just need a bit of reassurance I guess.

They 

They are much smarter than RoF AI, but still not a challenge if you are used to fight humans.

We are talking about AI from 2009 on and the same is still going on in FC. 😩

So I do not think this will be improved in big steps. Before Jason is closing this topic, I do not expect any major improvement, I only do hope the front gunner of the Fee is now acting more offensieve and not pure defensive as now being programmend in RoF gunner AI. 

I can tell you, it is no fun, when you are finaly behind the Germans tail, this useless person refuse to shoot.  🤯

On 1/12/2019 at 11:05 AM, BadBud said:

Have not seen the wings fold and fall off as in Wings of Flight.

Sadly, I haven't flown for a while.  Did a 16 plane furball last night, to check my gear settings. Roughly 25 minutes flying time and watched 2-3 enemy wings fold.  Maybe you're not shooting at the right spot?

I most often shoot for the pilot. Will try for a wing fold.

BadBud

• Like 1

Tried for hours in the last couple of days to fold (shoot) the wings off the AI. Never happened. Killed or burned a lot of pilots in the process while trying.

BadBud

7 hours ago, BadBud said:

Tried for hours in the last couple of days to fold (shoot) the wings off the AI. Never happened. Killed or burned a lot of pilots in the process while trying.

Did a handful of 8 v 8 fights last night and didn't "wing" anyone, strange enough.  Though I can now flame a Pfalz pretty quickly given the right angle!

I will try more tonight and see what I come up with.

Side note - I flew a big furball in RoF after flying FC and I have to say, I feel like the AI is much improved over RoF, which just resulted in a mass circling "fight" down at treetop level... Rather quickly.

2 minutes ago, Donik said:

Did a handful of 8 v 8 fights last night and didn't "wing" anyone, strange enough.  Though I can now flame a Pfalz pretty quickly given the right angle!

I will try more tonight and see what I come up with.

Side note - I flew a big furball in RoF after flying FC and I have to say, I feel like the AI is much improved over RoF, which just resulted in a mass circling "fight" down at treetop level... Rather quickly.

How are you getting the AI to fight you? All of the quick missions I do result in 1 or 2 planes fighting but all of the rest dive to the deck and flee the scene.

Oh wow, that's wild.  I honestly can't say I've seen that behavior yet.  They all fight to the death.

So, last night I was flying on Moscow map at dusk.  I set my flight(s) up on the runway and set the AI for Scramble at (if I remember) about 1000m away.  Upon start, I could see dots of the two enemy flights headed my way off my 10 O'Clock.  My flight proceeded to take off and attack the enemy flight from anywhere between 0-700 meters, I'd say. 

Of the 8 enemy, I got 5 kills.  That doesn't speak very well to the AI when they're all set to ACE, but it is what it is.  Kinda the same as the WW2 AI in that regard.

But nobody hit the deck and ran away, as far as I could tell.  I would say maybe try setting up a similar scenario on your end and see what kind of results you get.

1 hour ago, Donik said:

Oh wow, that's wild.  I honestly can't say I've seen that behavior yet.  They all fight to the death.

So, last night I was flying on Moscow map at dusk.  I set my flight(s) up on the runway and set the AI for Scramble at (if I remember) about 1000m away.  Upon start, I could see dots of the two enemy flights headed my way off my 10 O'Clock.  My flight proceeded to take off and attack the enemy flight from anywhere between 0-700 meters, I'd say. 

Of the 8 enemy, I got 5 kills.  That doesn't speak very well to the AI when they're all set to ACE, but it is what it is.  Kinda the same as the WW2 AI in that regard.

But nobody hit the deck and ran away, as far as I could tell.  I would say maybe try setting up a similar scenario on your end and see what kind of results you get.

Thanks, I will do that.

I just messed with it some more and it seems to just be the Pfalz. Instead of fighting them, I decided to try flying it myself and the AI actually fought back (Spads). The rest of my wingmen turned tail and ran, however.

EDIT: Seems it depends on the amount of fuel available. I gave the Pfalz and the Spads full fuel and they stuck around and fought

Edited by GarandM1

1 hour ago, GarandM1 said:

it seems to just be the Pfalz

did another fight against 8 pfalz at altitude. 4 fought, 4 ran.. chased the 4 that ran, 2 fought, 2 continued to run.

hopefully this gets corrected at some point :)

The Ai is the same as in 2009, more smarter but not better. I looked long Ai vs Ai dogfights and compared it with Rise of Flight - Not really impressed.

On 1/12/2019 at 6:22 PM, US103_Larner said:

As mentioned, the aircraft themselves are a lot tougher, and the majority of kills are flamers or pilot kills, which seems to be more historical from the pilot accounts I've read! Aircraft still break up, but it takes a lot of damage to put them away via structural break-up. 

You shoot at planes with with " multitude of ropes ", do you tell me you never hit them? These planes really really suffer structural break-up when you shoot the ropes in pieces, do you tell me you never experience this kind of DM???? - interesting!

12 hours ago, Livai said:

You shoot at planes with with " multitude of ropes ", do you tell me you never hit them? These planes really really suffer structural break-up when you shoot the ropes in pieces, do you tell me you never experience this kind of DM???? - interesting!

I guess not...but I aim for the pilot! ;) 

IMHO they are terrible - even worse than in RoF, and this does mean something. Back then they were way too dumb and predicatalbe, but at least a pair of aces in Camels did provide some challenge for a player in, say, Pfalz. Not anymore...

After a very very long time trying, folder the wing on a Camel.  

BadBud