SchwarzeHund

Skin Catalog Dream

It seems that this is an attempt to ‘close the door long after the horse left the barn’- and I’m sure it’s been suggested and discussed previously ad nauseum- but it sure would be nice to have the available skins (“final” versions) searchable in a single location for each a/c type.  After combing pages and pages of threads and following links and seeing 2nd and 3rd revisions- it is really like feeling around with your hands trying to find your keys in a dark room sometimes.  Occasionally I stumble across skins I would probably never have found unless I systematically searched every thread!  There are stray short skin threads, 2K, 4K skins categories, 25 page skin artist threads, etc.  It makes you wonder how much great stuff you’ll never see!

I’m guessing there is no easy way to get something like that organized at this point- but it sure would be a great thing to see.  Each a/c with a section- then maybe each skinner could have their own section within that area- the d/l link and a pic or 2 for each final skin or pack- unencumbered with pages and pages of WIP info and discussion.  There should, obviously, be a place for all that as well- but in a different area.  I’m thinking of a straight up ‘catalog’ type environment- easily searchable.

Hey- a guy can dream, can’t he?

I really appreciate all of the time and effort these amazing artists put in to their craft.  They make the game so much more immersive and entertaining for the rest of us- it’s a real joy to be able to see their creations ‘in game’ and see the history we all love in ‘action’.  Thanks to you all!

• Upvote 3

Hey man, (like your name :P

This forum section has become a bit of a mess. There are indeed lots of very nice skins buried deep in the dark corners of the skin section. Some good quality stuff is pretty much gone.

It would indeed be very nice to see a few more skinners organize their skins as I do in my museum 😜. Or alternatively, someone needs to make a really good website. (Previous attempts were.., Let us just say... unfinished and abandoned.)

However, It is up to the skinner to decide how to do it. 

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

@SchwarzeHund @BlackHellHound1 Wow! There's certainly a place for dogs of a darkish disposition!! I pretty much go along with you both on this. I think a lot of the confusion begins right at the very beginning of a TEMPLATE'S life whereby several skinners jump on the said template when it first comes out and then start up a Forum Post for that skin. When these are happening independently of each other within possibly the same day then the root of the problem is already there! A prime example is the Thunderbolt, where certainly both myself and SPEKTRE76 both started independent sections on the same unit!! Maybe a solution could be for the 'top people' who run the Forum to create a section as soon as the Plane is released (even prior to the template) so that all offerings would land therein. I realise that this doesn't solve the already existing (massive) confusion however! BHH, your museum is a great idea and works really well. I may even go down that road myself...

Anyway, I think we should all give it some (more) thought and see if anyone can come up with any revolutionary solutions!!

15 hours ago, SchwarzeHund said:

Hey- a guy can dream, can’t he?

That he can, that he CAN!! ;)

I appreciate the feedback, gentlemen- and thanks for all the great work you’ve shared with us!

It would be great to hear some ideas from skinners, template wizards, admin, and Joe 6-pack’s like myself to potentially find a new direction forward- to the benefit of the community as a whole.  The upcoming releases of a/c in the pipeline for Bodenplatte could be an opportunity to at least try out a new organizational framework for community-based material at the initial release.

Whatever direction this might go as far as organization I would not like to see it become elitist as far too often happens on websites. While the learning curve for skinning can be difficult it only takes a little practice and some skill with a paint program. While I've never seen a comment here chiding anyone else's skinning effort, I'll never forget a comment on the old Il2skins website that did. As I remember it, a newer skinner knocked out a couple of skins quickly of a familiar paint scheme and was then ridiculed for wasting that paintscheme. As if that would prevent someone else from doing it. I'm not sure that skinner continued posting his work after that. 

There are are far fewer skinners here now than we once had back when. I'd hope everyone will continue to be encouraging to any newcomer. 

I have wanted to create either a desktop app or a website to specifically handle and showcase users skins for a long time. With easy upload, display and info about each skin and an easy way to track what you’ve downloaded. But alas it’s another project I need to manage with little time. If i was a programmer I would have done it myself a long time ago.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

Hey Jason, let me take a look at WiX. I have made a few website before. I think they have expanded their template to have searchable gallery pages. If I can do I'll send you the link and the admin log on info.

- Isaac

there are several existing websites that host skins - Pat and I do that already.

you guys seem to underestimate the workload associated with hosting and the considerable monetary cost associated with that , why not take advantage of what is already there ?

Tom and Pat have valid points, in ref to hosting, cost and upkeep. But all skins should / need to be on one website, whether it be on this website, Axis and Allies paintworks or Lockonfiles.

It should also be agreed on by this site to host the linkpath if this goes down that way for one of the other sites.

Personally, I would rather see them all here under this banner,  however the layout needs to be a bit more organised for quick ref to DL's for all AC - FC, TC CLoD and BoX.

My 2 cents,

Penny for your thoughts? :scratch_one-s_head:

what would be nice is to have the developer set a link page for sites that host mods and skins and post at their facebook and tweeter pages links to work done by their community, promote our work.

do the same at Steam - add a link there ...

allow those that have sites that host files to pin a thread at their Steam forum

as for setting up any service on top of those that already exist, that is a sure way to make things worse.

and of course, if our community would like to see many add ons hosted, donating to those websites that do that is a good idea. hosting files is expensive and needs recurring payments quarter after quarter.

Edited by Tom_Weiss
  • Upvote 1

My original thoughts were much simpler in scope: leave the existing areas for WIP discussion, etc- but then have a new section here at this site consisting of a brief description, the d/l link and a pic or two- without the pages and pages of material that naturally collect during the process.  That way folks can see all the skins available in a much more clear and organized way. 

Skinners and template makers can do what they do currently- and have their d/l's hosted anywhere they want.  All they would need to do is eventually create that short, simple thread in the finished skins section when they are ready for it to be accessed by the community. 

Edited by SchwarzeHund