Sign in to follow this  
IV./JG51-H_Steinbaur

Stay alive in multiplayer

Well , now I have many hours in sp , and I have learned how the Al are flying - some are pretty good but I can shoot some of them down ....

Now I'm start trying the multiplayer , ....and I can't figure the human brain out , so just stay alive is a big thing ..... Guess I may lean some new tactic and control my plane 🤔

😏

The major survival rule is to know when to go away. You don't have to engage every time you see a contact. Keep the plan what to do when ambushed like heading to a nearest friendlies so you will execute it without delay. Learn your plane well; especially the overlooked skill of flying fast and efficiently in straight line and shallow dives. The latter will save you more often than elaborate maneuvers.

• Upvote 5

If you can reliably beat AI on "ACE" difficulty level you can also beat most human opponents (hint: ACE planes seem to have unlimited energy and often make impossible shots).

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Not related to the exact OP's problem, but I think the OP is approaching this from the right perspective: staying alive matters.

A lot of players, at least from what I can see, seem to not really care about what happens to them, as long as they get to score kills. So they'll happily (for example) fly over an enemy airfield and vulch a bit until they inevitably get shot down. To me this is not the most enjoyable way to play: it's a lot more challenging and interesting to actually _care_ about what happens to your pilot, and to work to stay alive and also avoid capture (on the eastern front, getting captured by either front was usually a death sentence anyway... often ending up in a gulag for both sides! :P)

Some of my most enjoyable flights have been getting in an engagement past the enemy lines, bagging a kill or two, and when I get damaged to then barely manage to husband my plane over the front line and crash landing safely in friendly territory. It's a blast. :)

• Upvote 2

The important thing is that you are having fun. If you tend to fly solo a lot I recommend some ground pounding in either an attacker or bomber. Easier to achieve your own objectives, by picking a route, getting in and then getting out.

Every sortie that you hit target and make it home is a good one.

Oooooo yeah , it shall be fun - and it's not a complain 

And I like the challenge and be better and better  ( slow , but that's the way ) 

I can go on berloga, but I don't want that kind of fight 

Right place for me is a server where I can fly out , maybe shoot a plane down 

But also that I want my plane back to base again .....

And for all parts take care , course it give some benefit if you stay alive 

9 minutes ago, Sire said:

And I like the challenge and be better and better  ( slow , but that's the way ) 

register with TAW. Fly out in a twin on a solo bombing expedition. Single engine limp back home is guaranteed as a the 'best outcome'. 😄 Your mileage may vary.

I’m not interested in MP really anymore until we get a lobby system again.

That said - I might do some solo outings in the U2. Tree top level, in and out.

That just seems like too much fun.

When I found myself solo in an air quake room back in the day (co-ops was my usual habit) I’d spiral climb high over my base before heading out.

Then I’d take my time - content to fly for 45 minutes if necessary before finding a suitable target far below. Then I’d dive at 800kph on a Yak, cut his wing off, then zoom back up another few hundred meters. Fly home.

Or I’d fly around and never engage if a proper target never appeared. 

The ‘need’ to get a kill is what kills you.

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ehret said:

The major survival rule is to know when to go away. You don't have to engage every time you see a contact. Keep the plan what to do when ambushed like heading to a nearest friendlies so you will execute it without delay. Learn your plane well; especially the overlooked skill of flying fast and efficiently in straight line and shallow dives. The latter will save you more often than elaborate maneuvers.

I see you play as fighter so what Ehret said is important, your df skill dosent mather mutch if you play to stay alive as long as you can.

if you play alone whats most important is to have good SA, fast airplane, know when enemy is trying to trap you or drag you to his frends (know when to give up) , and to understand whats going on on mission you should be ok in staying alive on any server no mather of your df skil level.

If your with wingman then if his bad hell get you killed most of time, if hes good its mutch easyer then playing alone, but then you need to think how to feed him with kills so hes happy also, so youll get less kills in same flying time then when you hunt alone.

If your alone be in areas where someone from your team can help you, and try to be where enemy dont expect you so you just suprise them, as thats easy way to get kill with no effort.

On any server you can play just for staying alive, or just for geting most kills in sortie posible or just for quick furball fun.

And FB Vaal stat system that 90% of online servers use promotes and rewords players who stay alive more then players who get most kills or spend most time on server so even avradge player who has 1-2h a day to play can look good when he plays to stay alive, i see good number of players playing for staying alive as long as posible on any server that has stats as stats in this game reword that behavior.

Edited by 77.CountZero

1 hour ago, Sire said:

Is it weird that I read this like a poem?

• Haha 3

I guess the best place for me is the Taw  , corse if you loose a plane you don't get a new one - so have to take care 

I don't have to shoot a plane down in every mission, but once in a while would be great ......and more realistic 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

I’m not interested in MP really anymore until we get a lobby system again.

That said - I might do some solo outings in the U2. Tree top level, in and out.

That just seems like too much fun.

When I found myself solo in an air quake room back in the day (co-ops was my usual habit) I’d spiral climb high over my base before heading out.

Then I’d take my time - content to fly for 45 minutes if necessary before finding a suitable target far below. Then I’d dive at 800kph on a Yak, cut his wing off, then zoom back up another few hundred meters. Fly home.

Or I’d fly around and never engage if a proper target never appeared. 

The ‘need’ to get a kill is what kills you.

Play it like Air Quake on Servers that cater to such and what do you expect.??

Other Servers offer a tactical experience as it isn't just about air kills

Flying with freinds on Teamspeak or Discord will greatly improve your odds of survival and will help you learn more and more.

To me the game the changers from SP to MP were: get used to constantly check 6 and around, fly higher than I was used to, and hit and run if possible (avoid engaging for long time if you are not positive its the only one around). I fly alone and don´t use Teamspeak, but as Justin said I´m sure are great help.

...and you better listen Dream Theater 😜

• Like 1

I don't know if this is even a 'good' way but this is what I have done in Berloga if I do want to stay alive for a while and still enjoy an occasional knife fight.  I fly high and a bit deep in enemy territory and then turn round back to the direction of 'home base'.  It does no good to fly so high that by the time you dive down on the enemy they are gone.  So fly high but not so high you can not engage in a fight.  I find it is best not to try to dive down on a particular plane but dive down and flatten out going in the direction of home base.  That way you will be going rather fast to home.  If you are lucky when you are making for home with the high speed you will be able to come up on an enemy and get a shot in.  Don't bother with an engagement of more then a say ten seconds.  You want to keep that speed up and be heading to home.  If you manage to get back deep into friendly territory you can then climb and so do it all again.   You will be surprised at how many kills you get when you later look at the stats.  Kills you likely never knew you got.  But sometimes I just like a knife fight and just don't care how many times I get killed.  

I was in TAW earlier, but I couldn't connent to team speak - bad password ...

I have never tried it before , but once should be the first .....and speak my Danglish 😁

I'm flying most the bf109 , and one of my problem is to keep the speed - and often I'm ending in the turn around after a Russian .... Loosing speed 

But I'm start more thenopposite ways       up/down 

( Do you use fuul throttle , when 'up she goes ? ) 

And I have allso tried to be high , go down for chatch a plane  ..... But then often my plane goes too fast to have a good shoot 

So , I'm starting my new leaning proces 😁

3 hours ago, blitze said:

Play it like Air Quake on Servers that cater to such and what do you expect.??

Other Servers offer a tactical experience as it isn't just about air kills

What?

Did I make mention of a certain expectation?

12 minutes ago, Sire said:

I was in TAW earlier, but I couldn't connent to team speak - bad password ...

I have never tried it before , but once should be the first .....and speak my Danglish 😁

I'm flying most the bf109 , and one of my problem is to keep the speed - and often I'm ending in the turn around after a Russian .... Loosing speed 

But I'm start more thenopposite ways       up/down 

( Do you use fuul throttle , when 'up she goes ? ) 

And I have allso tried to be high , go down for chatch a plane  ..... But then often my plane goes too fast to have a good shoot 

So , I'm starting my new leaning proces 😁

The password is on the taw website.  

The 109 turns better than yaks when the fight gets really slow, but then your an easy kill for enemy's.  It depends on what 109 and the situation for throttle.  Trimming the stabalizer is also important to control 109s, especially dive recovery and turn fights, in case you didn't know.  

Many good survival tips have been posted but I havent seen anyone say anything about how helpful clouds can be for fleeing and how helpful trees can be in clearing your 6.  

I used the password on the introside in MP : taw1942 and told me bad password 

I have used the cloud for helping me escabe , go down the trees for getting the speed and run away and stay alive 

But now I must start learning the function of the stabilizer , I don't use it now - and allso use my throttle more - like a gas pedal in an auto 

Normally I put in on Atm 1.3  in combat , and then not move it alot 

Staying alive in multiplayer? Easy, simply follow advice that concerned mother gives her pilot son: "Fly low and slow!"

I dont recommend this but you can use your 109 stabilizer to get a better pull on your opponent, even staying your turn rate with Yaks and the like. Definitely not spitfires though. 

I fly the 109 like I fly my 190, fast with straight line attacks and zoom climbs back up to my starting altitude before finding another opportune target. Turning and burning energy is what used to get me killed before I learned disciplined energy conservation. Since the 190 is better at huge bursts of speed in dives and zoom climbs compared to the 109, with even more control on the elevator at extreme speed, its my preferred plane. 

If I get back into MP again I'll probably just do my solo act on WOL server in either a 190, or if the reds have a P40 I'll fly that. I seem to do fine soloing though the odds are against me when I'm facing 2 or more that stay together and it looks like they are communicating. If I can see them arrive to the battle area stuck close together I can assume they are communicating and I pull back and report their location and move on to the next area or wait for teammates to show. I prefer to attack furballs from an extreme altitude advantage or pick off people eyeing the furballs if I spot them first. Sometimes I'll go for the 1v1 fight if I see nobody else around to contest things but I'll make it quick cause I never know if my position just got reported via chat. Other times I'll strap on a bomb if its available to me and hit a target before switching to fighter duties so I'm at least somewhat useful if I cant shoot anyone down. If you want to come out on top soloing you have to pick your battles wisely and always try to make your fights in your advantage before even thinking of engaging. Since I aint got time for friends I have to adopt these solo tactics. 

17 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

What?

Did I make mention of a certain expectation?

Read what you initially posted and then tell me if it does not sound like you play online as if Air Quake.  I am just pointing out that there are servers that cater to a different experience which might be more historical.

4 minutes ago, blitze said:

Read what you initially posted and then tell me if it does not sound like you play online as if Air Quake.  I am just pointing out that there are servers that cater to a different experience which might be more historical.

Patiently climbing to altitude and flying for an hour isn’t really an air quake mentality first of all.

Secondly the intent of the server doesn’t necessarily dictate player behavior.

I get what you’re saying nevertheless regarding historical objectives etc.

This is where the Hyperlobby style of CoOp shines.

14 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Hyperlobby and CoOps have absolutely ZERO to do with somebody flying smartly or being survival oriented.  ZERO.

1 minute ago, SeaSerpent said:

Hyperlobby and CoOps have absolutely ZERO to do with somebody flying smartly or being survival oriented.  ZERO.

I said Zero to the contrary ZERO.

Same tactics apply.

17 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

You can do that now.  Just use the BoX Teamspeak server.  Voila!  All the functionality of Hyperlobby.  That will also allow you to stop spamming threads that have nothing to do with Hyperlobby.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

You can do that now.  Just use the BoX Teamspeak server.  Voila!  All the functionality of Hyperlobby.  That will also allow you to stop spamming threads that have nothing to do with Hyperlobby.

Friend SirRobin let’s  not spin down that rabbit hole here - and definitely has zero to do with survival.

1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

Friend SirRobin let’s  not spin down that rabbit hole here - and definitely has zero to do with survival.

I’m not the one who keeps spinning down the Hyperlobby rabbit hole.  That’s you.  Just use Teamspeak and stop spamming threads with Hyperlobby bs.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

I’m not the one who keeps spinning down the Hyperlobby rabbit hole.  That’s you.  Just use Teamspeak and stop spamming threads with Hyperlobby bs.

Yet you’ll insist on having the last word about it and dragging the thread into dysfunction.

I casually mentioned it in context of actual experience since that’s simply most of my online time - your the one who goes O.C.D about it every time it’s mentioned. 

Better things to do than engage this.

Edited by Gambit21

1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

I casually mentioned it in context of actual experience since that’s simply most of my online time 

And after you “casually” mentioned it repeatedly, I casually provided you with a solution so you could stop spamming the thread.  Just trying to help out my buddy who seems to be fixated on something for which there is a very simple solution.

10 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Better things to do than engage this.

Amen to that. The ignore button is a massive quality of life improvement when certain Boring, Self-important, Repugnant types are about. They certainly spoiled the RoF forum. Shame they insist on carrying out their continual stream of verbal diarrhoea here too. Still, that there ignore button? Can't recommend it enough. Bliss. 

• Upvote 2

Anyway Sire, ever time I got killed, regardless of mission type, I would write down the mistake that I made. 

Most times I died, there was a mistake made. I learned to make them less often and ended with with a nice kill/death ratio after a time.

Now if you’re flying ground attack, or your job is to cover the ground attackers, you just do your job. That means you let go of ego and get after it.

I used to get annoyed by guys who would jettison their bombs at the fist opportunity to chase a kill.

1 minute ago, Diggun said:

Still, that there ignore button? Can't recommend it enough. Bliss. 

Been trying to avoid it - but I believe you’re right. It’s time.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Diggun said:

Amen to that. The ignore button is a massive quality of life improvement when certain Boring, Self-important, Repugnant types are about. They certainly spoiled the RoF forum. Shame they insist on carrying out their continual stream of verbal diarrhoea here too. Still, that there ignore button? Can't recommend it enough. Bliss. 

Wrong...If somebody posts something in a thread, whether it's right, wrong, spammy, controversial, brilliant, or boneheaded, they shouldn't be surprised if other members of the community post a response to it.   You might not like that response, or agree with it, but if you want to blame someone for "verbal diarrhea", in this case that should fall on Gambit, not anyone else.

Edited by SeaSerpent

I can't completely agree any more coz you edited your post, cheeky! Everyone has an absolute right to complete freedom of expression within the forum rules. And everyone has the right to choose whether or not they reply, engage with, or even see anything posted. 

Some forum users and members of this community add value. Others, unfortunately, don't.

Edited by Diggun

Apropos noting the mistake, I find it difficult to see my mistakes sometimes.

Any thoughts on that? How do you find your mistakes?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Leon_Portier said:

Apropos noting the mistake, I find it difficult to see my mistakes sometimes.

Any thoughts on that? How do you find your mistakes?

Fly with a wingman, and he'll be sure to tell you your mistakes.  Different perspectives and opinions of what just happened help you.  Also, you can record flights, and on some servers, it will allow your recording to include Tacview information to analyze the dogfight after the fact in that program.

42 minutes ago, Diggun said:

I can't completely agree any more coz you edited your post, cheeky! Everyone has an absolute right to complete freedom of expression within the forum rules. And everyone has the right to choose whether or not they reply, engage with, or even see anything posted. 

Some forum users and members of this community add value. Others, unfortunately, don't.

Nothing "cheeky" about it.  I was editing my post to clarify my meaning and you responded to it before I was done.

• Like 1

Your little conversation, ..... I will not take a part in 

About the game I'll wait a bit before I go on Taw  ..... Maybe I'm wrong but I guess it's the most serious MP here ..... And I feel I have  to have a skill 

So I go on the other MP and 'jam' and still have my SP where it happens a Russian pilot don't return to base 😁