Sign in to follow this  
jcomm-il2

Engine and other systems management in 1946...

I never bought 1946, although I did buy the original IL-2 long ago.

Have been watching some IL-2 1946 videos, with the patched versions - I believe the version presently available from Steam is not fully patched ? - and it looks very convincing, actually in some aspects ( not graphically though ) probably more complex in some aspects than IL-2 Cliffs of Dover ( ? )

What kind of CEM is available in the fully patched ww2 IL-2 1946 ?  Do we have control over water and oil radiators, inlet and outlet panels, etc... ?  What about Mixture, Superchargers, ... ?

Can the engines of multi-engine aircraft be operated separately ?

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Do we have control over water and oil radiators, inlet and outlet panels, etc... ?  What about Mixture, Superchargers, ... ?

Separate controls for water and oil, or cylinder head and oil on radial engined aircraft.

Inlet and outlet are not separate.

Mixture - yes.

Supercharger - yes.

... - yes (at least throttle and pitch/rpm).

Separate engine control on multi engined aircraft - yes.

It's much simpler in terms of controls/GUI then BoX, and considerably simpler in terms of engine model. I don't know how it compares to the current CloD version.

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2019 at 8:31 AM, jcomm said:

Have been watching some IL-2 1946 videos, with the patched versions - I believe the version presently available from Steam is not fully patched ? - and it looks very convincing, actually in some aspects ( not graphically though ) probably more complex in some aspects than IL-2 Cliffs of Dover ( ? )

What kind of CEM is available in the fully patched ww2 IL-2 1946 ?  Do we have control over water and oil radiators, inlet and outlet panels, etc... ?  What about Mixture, Superchargers, ... ?

Engine modeling is very limited, you won't be messing with radiators much, mixture pretty much never, RPM is set to 100% and forget it, basically just don't use 110% throttle all the time. There's 8 settings for rads, it's all very simple in comparison to BOX. The games more of a big picture air combat engine then a systems and engine modeling type deal.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:19 PM, JonRedcorn said:

Engine modeling is very limited, you won't be messing with radiators much, mixture pretty much never, RPM is set to 100% and forget it, basically just don't use 110% throttle all the time. There's 8 settings for rads, it's all very simple in comparison to BOX. The games more of a big picture air combat engine then a systems and engine modeling type deal.

Thx for the answer and additional info.

I sould say I tried it for 1 hr, and gave up - asked for reffund....

Back to the only worth ww2 sim - IL-2 Great Battles

25 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Thx for the answer and additional info.

Definitely need to mod the game to get the most out of it. It's old. The graphics are dated. Lots of fun to be had with it though and for the price you can't beat it. 

6 hours ago, jcomm said:

Just as a reminder, you would not even have IL2 Great battles if it wasn't for the original game...

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Just as a reminder, you would not even have IL2 Great battles if it wasn't for the original game...

Yep, I know - I bought the original Oleg Maddox game :-)

I'm the opposite. I haven't really touched GB in months but have been enjoying another go at some Pacific campaigns immensely. 😁

On 1/8/2019 at 5:31 PM, jcomm said:

water and oil radiators  -  yes ...  but it  cobine to one  "Radiators" i mean no separation to oil and water.

Mixture  -  yes

Superchargers - yes 

Can the engines of multi-engine aircraft be operated separately  -  yes