SP1969

Personal skins in FC MP repository

Just an idea.

Starting to get a few regular MP players now, particularly in the JG1 server ( thank you gentlemen ) and I was wondering whether the time was ripe to start a thread to upload skins, so we can all identify who is who ingame.

Apart from anything else, it would help differentiate players from AI, which is considerably harder to do in FC than it is in RoF, due to the vast AI improvements in the newer game.

There are only four aeroplanes and it looks like most people are starting to settle on one type when flying, so the numbers of skins to be downloaded wouldn't be excessive at this point.

Just a thought - and yes, I have too much time on my hands today. Cold, wet weather and old wounds don't mix well, so I'm giving the marathon training a miss today.

• Upvote 1

This is one of my major concerns with BoX. RoF did a much better job managing skins.

Plus you need mods on to see user made skins

As it stands I see no point in using custom skins online.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, J2_SteveF said:

Plus you need mods on to see user made skins

Bejesus... And how do the players go about with the Great Battle series? The squadrons and all? They don't have skins?

Edited by SeaW0lf

Camel 13 skin, blue scarf, blue streamer, easy to see , just look for the burning camel falling from the sky and its a good bet its me. so im the Burning Lumpty

• Haha 1

So mods on is not required to see user made skins online then?

1 hour ago, GCF said:

Camel 13 skin, blue scarf, blue streamer, easy to see , just look for the burning camel falling from the sky and its a good bet its me. so im the Burning Lumpty

Where's the link of your skin? I will install it and test the next time we see each other online.

2 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

Where's the link of your skin? I will install it and test the next time we see each other online.

not my own custom skin, its just one i always use i have just posted a link here to a bundle containing All FC skins i could find, there all sorted into planes, and will be updateing as poeple resease new skins, its in the latest skin thread and here https://drive.google.com/open?id=16COh4cI1dYXISSR61S9ZfT6fPvKqA3OF

• Like 1

As far as I know, Mods on is NOT needed to see other players skins. We (The 103d) have already done our squadron skins and whenever we fly out together they work fine. J.G.1 also have their DR1 and Pfalz skins, both of which seem to work fine for me! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, US103_Larner said:

As far as I know, Mods on is NOT needed to see other players skins. We (The 103d) have already done our squadron skins and whenever we fly out together they work fine. J.G.1 also have their DR1 and Pfalz skins, both of which seem to work fine for me! 

Good to know because I was going to stop my work on my Camel skin!

17 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

Good to know because I was going to stop my work on my Camel skin!

nono, get it done! I'm doing mines as we speak ;) 

• Like 1

Good idea. We could arrange a pack just for download convenience, although we should give priority to get the skins coming, can't let it stagnate like it happened... well... before. ;)

How big is a 4K skin anyway?

Posted (edited)

The .DDS for my skin is 21.3 MB, Bidu. About the same as a FLAC encoded music track.

Edited by SP1969
  • Thanks 1

You do NOT need to be running in Mods On to use custom skins.  The server merely has to allow custom skins.

Of course, if you want to see someone else's custom skin you must first download it and place it in your skin folder.

• Like 1

As far as I understand it there is a checkbox with "show custom skin" or similar right under the mods activated checkbox.

If you check it you can see the custom skins of others.

If you want to use a skin on your own plane you have to download it.

I would not check Mods On because you won't be able to see mp servers that don't allow Mods.

8 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

As far as I understand it there is a checkbox with "show custom skin" or similar right under the mods activated checkbox.

If you check it you can see the custom skins of others.

If you want to use a skin on your own plane you have to download it.

I would not check Mods On because you won't be able to see mp servers that don't allow Mods.

Are you saying that I will see a custom skin on (for example), your plane if I check this box?  Even if I have not downloaded it myself?

No, you have to download the skin and install it to the skin folder in your game, in the same way that you would add your own custom skin, Gamecock.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SP1969 said:

No, you have to download the skin and install it to the skin folder in your game, in the same way that you would add your own custom skin, Gamecock.

That was my understanding... thought maybe I'd missed something.

13 minutes ago, J5_Gamecock said:

That was my understanding... thought maybe I'd missed something.

Obviously I missed something but thank you for clarifying.

Does anyone know what this checkbox effects? 

Posted (edited)

It simply allows you to see the custom skins on other players' aeroplanes, Stephan. 

If the box is not checked, the game will not attempt to check if you have the relevant skin in your skin file and will simply assign a standard skin to everyone's aeroplane to your local view.

If the box is checked, without knowing for sure quite what procedure the game uses to do so, I would imagine that the game will compare the skin file being used by the other player, will compare it with your local skin file, and if it finds that you have downloaded and installed that player's skin, it will assign the skin to the aircraft in your local view. If it checks and finds you do not have that skin in your local folder, it will assign a random stock skin to the aeroplane as far as your ingame view is concerned.

The thing to remember about all multiplayer games is that they are a bit of an illusion.

Whilst it appears that we are all floating around in one space, the reality is that we are all playing the game locally on our own computers. 

The job of the server is to synchronise all the different computers linked into it, and continuously update the information on each of the client machines.

For example, you turn right in your Camel.

Your computer uploads the information to the server that you are turning right.

That information is then sent from the server to all the other players' computers.

At the same time, all the other players' actions are being relayed to your computer and you are seeing, a tiny fraction of time afterwards, their actions being carried out on your screen, or in your VR mask.

This is why a decent ping is needed for smooth gameplay.

Edited by SP1969
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

To the best of my knowledge the NAMES of the files, as well as the .DDS image itself, must be the same for each user, or the file won't correctly read.

• Thanks 1

Now I understand the need for a central skin repository.

The downside may be that you have downloaded a lot of skins from players you may never meet nor see.

Anyways I think the idea is great and thanks for your detailed explanation.

8 hours ago, SP1969 said:

Cold, wet weather and old wounds don't mix well, so I'm giving the marathon training a miss today.

Marathon is murder anyway - the first runner who did it died. Not my cuppa! :dance:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, US103_Larner said:

To the best of my knowledge the NAMES of the files, as well as the .DDS image itself, must be the same for each user, or the file won't correctly read.

Hmmm.....I think you might be over-thinking this.

If you download a skin file from a thread like this

You merely need to copy and paste the contents into the relevant aircraft's skin folder.  No need to worry about names of files.

Edited by DD_Arthur

Posted (edited)

ll i may have a solution, i just downloaded and sorted all FC Skins i could find i one zip folder, to down load presorted into plans, it stands at 1.2 gb so far

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16COh4cI1dYXISSR61S9ZfT6fPvKqA3OF

i will be updateing it regularly on the latest mass skin thread, and here if you like, ill be adding to it every day or two

hope this helps 

Edited by GCF
  • Like 1

Here are the JG1 FC skins so far:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cogl2m6tvvbo6ly/skins.zip?dl=0

We have decided that all of our working skins will be 2K to avoid the massive file bloat that 4K skins result in. Each 4K skin is about 4 times the size of a 2K skin. While 4Ks make for really nice screenshots, in my experience you can't really tell the difference during normal in game flying. I'm sure others may disagree and that is certainly one's prerogative.

I simply resize the .bmp before converting it to .dds.

If you want to check out the difference, Butzzell's Pfaltz is 4K while all of the others are 2K.

Some of them have been ported over from ROF and just lightened and color corrected to read correctly in FC. Can you tell which is which?

Oh, and here's a link to all of JG1's Consolidated Skins Download:

http://forum.jg1.org/topic/5560-consolidated-download-links/

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, SP1969 said:

The thing to remember about all multiplayer games is that they are a bit of an illusion.

Whilst it appears that we are all floating around in one space, the reality is that we are all playing the game locally on our own computers. 

Which, if you come to think of it, is just what happens within each of our brains while processing "reality". So not much to getting used to, really... Uh... Or would you prefer the blue pill?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, J2_Bidu said:

Which, if you come to think of it, is just what happens within each of our brains while processing "reality". So not much to getting used to, really... Uh... Or would you prefer the blue pill?

I actually laughed out loud.

Coffee/ keyboard/ monitor interface complete.

Vonrd, downloaded and will install, thank you for posting - I look forward to seeing you all in your preferred mounts! 

I'm going to quietly disagree with your view of skins, particularly with that of the Camel, I ported a couple of Camel skins from ROF and was surprised at how blocky and blurry they looked when applied to the FC model, both in game and out of it.

That being said, for many people, space is at a premium on their gaming drive, so your solution makes perfect sense in that scenario.

I do not think the size of the file impacts frame rate or playability.

I'm the sort of person that has all my music encoded in FLAC, rather than MP3, so I admit I'm a bit......overly pernickety.

Edited by SP1969
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Concerning drive space... It is possible to cheat the game into thinking the skin folder is in some subfolder of the game installation folder (on, say, the C drive), while it is actually on another disk and folder somewhere (D:\skindump or whatever). You just map one to the other and it will never know. That's what I do with ROF recorded tracks.

Edited by J2_Bidu
Emoticon undue

1 hour ago, J2_Bidu said:

Concerning drive space... It is possible to cheat the game into thinking the skin folder is in some subfolder of the game installation folder (on, say, the C drive), while it is actually on another disk and folder somewhere (D:\skindump or whatever). You just map one to the other and it will never know. That's what I do with ROF recorded tracks.

Interesting....very interesting....I may have to do that at some point!!

For the more seasoned WWI Flyer

Remember Flyberts Chateaux ?

16 hours ago, II./JG1_Vonrd said:

Here are the JG1 FC skins so far:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cogl2m6tvvbo6ly/skins.zip?dl=0

We have decided that all of our working skins will be 2K to avoid the massive file bloat that 4K skins result in. Each 4K skin is about 4 times the size of a 2K skin. While 4Ks make for really nice screenshots, in my experience you can't really tell the difference during normal in game flying. I'm sure others may disagree and that is certainly one's prerogative.

I simply resize the .bmp before converting it to .dds.

If you want to check out the difference, Butzzell's Pfaltz is 4K while all of the others are 2K.

Some of them have been ported over from ROF and just lightened and color corrected to read correctly in FC. Can you tell which is which?

Oh, and here's a link to all of JG1's Consolidated Skins Download:

http://forum.jg1.org/topic/5560-consolidated-download-links/

I see you didn't waste your time like I did. Do you have a surefire way to convert the dark RoF skins into bright BoX ones? Preferably working on skins themselves, as we don't have access to layered versions of all our skins!

Great initiative, GCF!

On 1/7/2019 at 4:27 PM, SP1969 said:

... it would help differentiate players from AI, which is considerably harder to do in FC than it is in RoF...

In the Jasta5 server, I was able to use my own Pfalz skin.

Posted (edited)

Hey Trupo,

I use the "free" version of Photoshop... CS2.

As you can see I just adjust the brightness and contrast, then the saturation. It would probably take some trial and error if you're using Gimp or something else and it's not perfect but better than the bare bones skin from ROF.

BTW, these are raw .bmp files... no layers... converted to .dds after alteration.

I use this software to batch convert from .bmp to .dds (it also batch converts from and to other file extensions):

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/convim.htm

PD3a_JG1_Butzzell_Before.jpg

PD3a_JG1_Butzzell_After.jpg

Edited by II./JG1_Vonrd
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

Nice skin.... any chance of a 'T' version mate?

Hi

First go at making a skin so sorry don't know what a "T" version is. Also used someone else's skin as template without knowing this might be wrong. Just sent him a message explaining so might have to take it down.

You live and learn!

Edited by NO.610jailor

Trooper,

Let me know what insignia and other changes you would like, and I'll happily do a version for you.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

Ron,

How is this one for you? If you like it, I'll upload it, if not, let me know and I'll amend it according to your wishes.20190109234239_1.thumb.jpg.bf51b91042f09908a2500335d514a18e.jpg

20190109234225_1.jpg

20190109234417_1.jpg

PS:

Image result for camel on fire

To whom it may concern........

Edited by SP1969
  • Like 1

Hi Stewert that looks amazing, thank you so much. 

I can't see my artwork, did you get it. If so it needs to fill the panel both sides over the wings next to the pilot where you dog was. Nice touch with the Chester wheatsheaf!

I need her flying with me, when I get shot down I die with a friend at my side.

Edited by NO.610jailor