Sign in to follow this  
Talon_

P-47copter

Posted (edited)

Love those flaps 😄

Crazy climbing while what you assume would be fully stalled at 40mph!

Edited by Talon_
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow! I always thought the engine was strong enough to pull the craft straight up, its over 1500 HP after all

It's 2000 HP, actually. But the airplane weighs over six tons! You can't just pull back the stick and expect it to go straight up. Airplanes don't work like that. Physics doesn't work like that. The airplane needs power that is, at lest, equal to it's wieght to be able to do that. The F-15 is one of the few that can, I believe. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

It's 2000 HP, actually. But the airplane weighs over six tons! You can't just pull back the stick and expect it to go straight up. Airplanes don't work like that. Physics doesn't work like that. The airplane needs power that is, at lest, equal to it's wieght to be able to do that. The F-15 is one of the few that can, I believe. 

If you hold about 40 degrees pitch you can climb at around 3000 ft/min at 50mph though 😄

unknown-35.png

Edited by Talon_

11 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

Any modern dynamically unstable over 1:1 TW ratio jet can do that. 

But not a WW2 prop. 

IIRC a prop produces around 1lb thrust per hp at c. 400 mph, so at that speed a P-47 should have a T:W of 2000:13,000 or roughly 1:6.5

Not sure what that would be at 50 mph but probably far worse. Certainly should not be able to go up at a great rate.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Not sure what that would be at 50 mph but probably far worse. Certainly should not be able to go up at a great rate.

Down to 2000ft/min at 44mph

unknown-38.png

Edit: pretty awesome angle of attack in those climbs 😄

unknown-33.png

Edited by Talon_

P-47 is just too much fun right now, its easily the best dogfight ATM. You can literally out dogfight a I-16. Imagine if we had the P-47N, even lower wingloading, faster rate of roll and +200hp. We'd literally be helicopters.

Well its hard to tell from the vid but the aircraft starts in a climbing condition. It has clearly already stalled by the time it stops climbing, and indeed starts to sink, albeit in a nose high attitude  presumably assisted by air flow from the prop over the elevator. 

I would expect engine torque to have kicked in though, starting to roll the AC in the opposite direction to the prop.

22 minutes ago, CptSiddy said:

Any modern dynamically unstable over 1:1 TW ratio jet can do that. 

But not a WW2 prop. 

Not sure about the P-47D but not necessarily... a helicopter is a type of prop which have bigger +1 TW ratio with relatively little power. The prop and its size matters a lot.

Just now, EAF19_Marsh said:

IIRC a prop produces around 1lb thrust per hp at c. 400 mph, so at that speed a P-47 should have a T:W of 2000:13,000 or roughly 1:6.5

No - it should be in the reverse: the faster prop is traveling through air the worse its efficiency is going to be. You have most thrust at 0 velocity in a prop. The P-47D as in the sim has not 2000hp but 2600hp when on water injection, open throttle/boost and 2700rpm.

Not saying such prop-hang we have in the sim now is correct. Most certainly it is not.