Jade_Monkey

GIMP 2.10 issues

Hi everyone,

A while ago I updgraded from GIMP 2.8 to 2.10.2 in Windows. There was some serious performance drop but things worked as expected.

Today I read that there was a new version that addressed the performance issue, so I upgraded from 2.10.2 to 2.10.8.

The performance improvement is great, but apparently the alpha layer now looks different (much brighter) when exported to DDS.

Anyone had a similar issue? Any suggestions/fixes?

Thanks in advance,

-JM

You have to apply the alpha channel as a layer mask over your skin.

I work my skin template until I get what I want then I use shft+ctl+C and then shft+ctl+V (instead of flattening layers, that just opens the door for losing your template altogether) and then I add a layer mask. I then copy and paste the alpha channel layer into the layer mask and save as .dds.

As a fellow user of Gimp, I was also shocked by the horrific performance when updating to 2.10.6. I am not sure if the alpha has changed again from 2.10.6 to 2.10.8 but I know I also had alpha troubles when updating last time. I had to completely redo my alpha templates. I will update again so hopefully my performance will improve and I will let you know if I have similar trouble with the alpha. Hopefully we can get it figured out.

Ok I have updated and tested  some skins. I can't see anything different from 2.10.6. I think maybe you are having the same trouble I had when I updated before to 2.10. I had to rework all of my alpha templates. Detcord12B was also having some problems with his 190A8 alphas.

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2019 at 4:59 PM, Megalax said:

You have to apply the alpha channel as a layer mask over your skin.

I work my skin template until I get what I want then I use shft+ctl+C and then shft+ctl+V (instead of flattening layers, that just opens the door for losing your template altogether) and then I add a layer mask. I then copy and paste the alpha channel layer into the layer mask and save as .dds.

That's not what I was referring to. Using the exact same template I get very different results when exporting to DDS by using a higher version of GIMP.

On 1/8/2019 at 7:37 AM, Danziger said:

Ok I have updated and tested  some skins. I can't see anything different from 2.10.6. I think maybe you are having the same trouble I had when I updated before to 2.10. I had to rework all of my alpha templates. Detcord12B was also having some problems with his 190A8 alphas.

I ended up reverting to 2.10.2 because I'm not going to re-do all the alpha channels for the templates I had aleady worked on.

Thanks for checking though!