Jump to content
jcomm

Tried the K-4, back to the A3 :-)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Strangely, after having placed "big hopes" in the 109 K-4, and after having tried it, for casual dogfighting and some MP role playing, the 190 A-3 is probably still my preferred Axis fighter.

 

In the Bf 109 series I really like the E-7 and the F-2 and F-4. If all of these 3 plus the 190 A-3 are available at a given MP server I usually end up using the 190 A-3 or the 109 F-4... maybe the F-2 or E-7 depending on the type of VVS opponents...

 

The K-4, even with the "C" DB 605 variant, kills the engine too easily for my liking and strangely it is more vulnerable to some Yak attacks than the A-3... Even trying to escape from a Yak or a Spitfire IX in the K-4 is difficult, and usually a get better results in the A-3, which is something I wasn't expecting.

 

[EDIT:]  Forget it - user error / axis ( throttle ) with spikes… Smoothed now and I can finally get the MW-50 injection stable !

 

Would still like to know if the MW-50 is modelled to empty sooner that the fuel tank, when fuel tank considerably filled ?

 

Edited by jcomm
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Kills the engine?

 

You never even have to drop below Combat power for a sortie if you don't want to. You just have to make sure that you open it all the way when on emergency power to trigger the MW50 injection.

 

A K-4 can fly a sortie like this without engine damage:

 

MET:                Power Setting:

0-10m.             WEP

10-20m.           Combat

20-30m.           WEP

30-40m.           Combat

40-45m.           WEP

 

Then it runs out of fuel.

 

It's also faster at Combat than any other plane in the game at normal combat altitudes. WEP just extends that difference further.

 

Being unable to escape from a Spitfire or Yak, both on 1943 engine settings, in your 1945 K-4 is unheard of. The K-4 is 100kph faster than either of those planes in a straight line and climbs better than both at almost all normal combat altitudes.

Edited by Talon_
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm,

 

I must be doing something wrong then ?

 

I have to check my throttle axis settings - too often I get the "low pressure system" techno chat message - maybe I am not correctly engaging the MW-50 ?

 

Thanks for the remarks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so applying here for your knowledgeable hints:

 

.) In the DB 605 B and C variants, MW50 is engaged whenever I move the throttle to the extreme forward position right ?

.) At these settings I can fly continuous WEP for 10 min, then another 10 min in CMBT, then again 10 min WEP... until I get out of fuel - btw: shouldn't it usually be out of MW50 first ? Is this modelled in IL-2 K-4 ( the MW50 fuel tank becoming empty before the "main" fuel tank ? 

.) When am I supposed to get that "low press system" techno chat message ?

 

Thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think, from watching YT vids that the low pressure Tech chat warning comes when you decrease throttle lower than 100% but still high enough to be in WEP. Tech chat is a distraction, try turning it off and just fly to the settings given in the briefing specification tab

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Ok, so applying here for your knowledgeable hints:

 

.) In the DB 605 B and C variants, MW50 is engaged whenever I move the throttle to the extreme forward position right ?

.) At these settings I can fly continuous WEP for 10 min, then another 10 min in CMBT, then again 10 min WEP... until I get out of fuel - btw: shouldn't it usually be out of MW50 first ? Is this modelled in IL-2 K-4 ( the MW50 fuel tank becoming empty before the "main" fuel tank ? 

.) When am I supposed to get that "low press system" techno chat message ?

 

Thanks !

As some said, use the cockpit gauges better with the data availible.

 

The MW50, it's enabled if you push the throttle at max. Also, use the Info overview the game gives to you on the loadout sceen. All of this is there.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok guys, thanks for the various hints, and it was my problem, of course 🙂

 

Calibrated throttle axis and some bias added to the extremes in order to clean some spikes that were preventing correct MW-50 activation.

 

Still would like to know if the MW-50 empties independently from the main fuel tank, when using almost fully filled fuel tank configurations, or if it is simplified, and they always empty at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Strangely, after having placed "big hopes" in the 109 K-4, and after having tried it, for casual dogfighting and some MP role playing, the 190 A-3 is probably still my preferred Axis fighter.

 

In the Bf 109 series I really like the E-7 and the F-2 and F-4. If all of these 3 plus the 190 A-3 are available at a given MP server I usually end up using the 190 A-3 or the 109 F-4... maybe the F-2 or E-7 depending on the type of VVS opponents...

 

The K-4, even with the "C" DB 605 variant, kills the engine too easily for my liking and strangely it is more vulnerable to some Yak attacks than the A-3... Even trying to escape from a Yak or a Spitfire IX in the K-4 is difficult, and usually a get better results in the A-3, which is something I wasn't expecting.

 

 

 

I'm a big fan of Focke Wulf series too, so i'm hyped with incoming Dora.

I also have tried G14 and K4 but after some sorties i got A8 (underestimated aircraft) which is, when employed in right way, a really nice aircraft (watch the videos below)! 

I believe that G14 and K4 is monsters but BF's and FW's have diffents way to fly it.

You, like me, got the hands in FW series, so i think that is your flight style, not the aircraft and the fact that you are killing engine is jsut bad engine management that you are taking.

 

1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

A K-4 can fly a sortie like this without engine damage:

 

MET:                Power Setting:

0-10m.             WEP

10-20m.           Combat

20-30m.           WEP

30-40m.           Combat

40-45m.           WEP

Hey Talon,

 

In K4's Specification is writted 10 min WEP, 30 min Combat and unlimited with low ATA. So i haven't understood above times. English isn't my primary language, so, can you explain to me with more details?

Thank you!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 3./JG15_HansPhilipp said:

Hey Talon,

 

In K4's Specification is writted 10 min WEP, 30 min Combat and unlimited with low ATA. So i haven't understood above times. English isn't my primary language, so, can you explain to me with more details?

Thank you!!!

 

In the MW50-equipped 109s, WEP is allowed for bursts of 10 minutes then recharges in 10 minutes while at Combat power. This means you can go 10m WEP followed by 10m Combat before going back to 10m WEP then 10m Combat again. After this you will have only 5 minutes MW50 remaining for one last 5 minute WEP run.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Talon_, and you have now also answered my other question about the duration of the MW-50 mix.

 

So it is modelled correctly, independent from the fuel tank. They can empty at different times - MW-50 after 45 min of interleaved use, totaling 25 min of total MW-50.

 

Thx!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

 

In the MW50-equipped 109s, WEP is allowed for bursts of 10 minutes then recharges in 10 minutes while at Combat power. This means you can go 10m WEP followed by 10m Combat before going back to 10m WEP then 10m Combat again. After this you will have only 5 minutes MW50 remaining for one last 5 minute WEP run.

I got it!

Does the engine not overheat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 3./JG15_HansPhilipp said:

I got it!

Does the engine not overheat?

I experienced no overheats during my battles. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 3./JG15_HansPhilipp said:

So 45 min of intense combat & WEP mode??

 

As long as you don't use any mode for longer than 10 minutes you can fly an entire sortie without ever using "continuous".

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still, the A3 is definitely my fav plane of the entire game, even after trying the K4. Just sayin

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Still, the A3 is definitely my fav plane of the entire game, even after trying the K4. Just sayin

I have the same opinion that you!

 

Hyped for Dora 9!!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 3./JG15_HansPhilipp said:

I have the same opinion that you!

 

Hyped for Dora 9!!!

so am I!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so hyped for tech D9. I don't think I will be playing Allies for a long time once it is out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did sonebody say Dora 9? Thing that clibs like 109, rolls like 190 and is at least as fast as mustang? Me likey. I need it!

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CSAF-D3adCZE said:

 Me likey. I need it!

 

FW Likey not Me!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is the mw50 enabled? Can not find a key for it. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×