Sign in to follow this  
Jaxum

Getting back into Piloting is hard!

Tonight I made my first attempt at taxing, taking off, and landing. The whole process was disorienting confusing, and wonky. And I found myself relying on autopilot a fair amount of times. I'm sure with a bit more practice i'll improve but my control for my Saitek X52 are a little wonky. 

Could anyone lend me a preset up file I could use? My axises are all of and everything feelings drunk and sluggish.

You need to go into Key Mapping and assign your controls. It's not hard. 

Jason

I would recommend setting up controls yourself. You tend to remember what goes where more that way than if you use someone else's.

1 hour ago, Jaxum said:

Tonight I made my first attempt at taxing, taking off, and landing. The whole process was disorienting confusing, and wonky. And I found myself relying on autopilot a fair amount of times. I'm sure with a bit more practice i'll improve but my control for my Saitek X52 are a little wonky. 

Could anyone lend me a preset up file I could use? My axises are all of and everything feelings drunk and sluggish.

Going to have to go with the other two responses on this. Axis settings are very personal and individual even if another X-52 user gave you theirs, you may not like them at all.

I would recommend using the QMB and free light plus playing around with the settings until you get the axis controls to feel the way you want to. It may take a bit of time.

Welcome back to a fun activity.

Being a fellow X52 flyer, I can offer a suggestion or two that might help.

1.  With the stick don't program curves into the Axis.  Have them linear with no dead zones.  The X52 uses a hall sensor and just get used to using light inputs through the stick in flight.  Stay calm, in fights and light on the stick and you will find flying with the X52 quite easy.

2. As mentioned above, look at the key mapping section of setup and map your own keys and axis.  Stick with engine based mappings on the throttle, I have prop pitch, mixture and some other controls mapped there and then flight control and weapons on the Stick.  Split some of the other options you feel necessary across the spare buttons / axis as you see fit and maybe write what you are mapping down with each programing of a key map.  You will find what works for you and remember it better that way.

3. Don't bother with simplified flight modelling and Auto Pilot, just read up on the specs of the particular airplane you are learning on and then take your time to familiarise yourself with the cockpit instruments.

4. Would be beneficial if you have something like IR Head Tracking be it OpenTrack or Track IR.  It helps a lot with flying and also frees up buttons on your stick for other functions instead of view.

Other than that, take your time and be patient.  Enjoy.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

It may take a bit of time.

I have only had this sim a year and I am still configuring my X -52. LoL

Edited by CastorTroy

2 minutes ago, CastorTroy said:

I have only had this sim a year and I am still configuring my X -52. LoL

Perfectly normal! I've had this sim since launch and I still tweak my controls from time to time :)

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jaxum said:

Tonight I made my first attempt at taxing, taking off, and landing. The whole process was disorienting confusing, and wonky.

This may help you get started, check them out if you have not already..

https://www.youtube.com/user/RequiemBoS/videos

Edited by CastorTroy

taxiing depends largely on the aircraft you are flying. Some have independent wheel brakes that you can map to your rudder peddles toe brakes. Others use a different brake system which is activated by a master brake which i have mapped to the stick pinky lever. It adjusts the braking power to each wheel depending on how much rudder you are kicking in. 

Then there is the tail wheel. Some AC you can unlock and lock the tail wheel, others have tail wheel steering, and some ac don't have lockable, or steerable tail wheels. 

I suspect that once you have mastered taxiing, you will have no problems taking off. If you have specific questions you will likely get quick answers in this forum.

Posted (edited)

In any case, in all aircraft you start rolling using a lot of rudder then slightly release the rudder as you gain speed, but exactely how much is a matter of experience so the best way to learn is: try a lot! You will crash all the time, then a lot, then sometimes, then seldom, then never. 

Edit: in this game we have a lot of craft and they all behave quite differently. Try sticking to one until you feel more at ease, instead of jumping seats all the time. You will get acquainted faster to a single plane this way.

When I came here from il21946, even though flying sims for 30 years, everything had a new feel to it and I would spin and fishtail a lot. I then took the p40 as my training mount and stubbornly stuck to it until I felt I have mastered the controls. Try any Yak, they are easy to fly and very forgiving (in my experience), keep on it till you develop some calluses.

Edited by danielprates