taffy2jeffmorgan

Spit Mk9 Gyro gun sight

Hi, Anyone having any luck with the gyro gunsight, i can see it in the background but i still seem to rely on the reflector sight,  also did a ground attack mission with the Spit and found the RP-3 he/ap pack a punch, knockout a couple of Marder Sp's

Cheers.

It works fine,just dial in the desired distance where you want to hit your enemy and size of the enemy Aircraft and thats it!takes a Little to get used to but when you have him in the sight his dead...

I can adjust the reflector sight [ Ralt+semicolon and Ralt+period ] but can't find a key in settings for the gyro sight selector switch ?

It works very well when the target is not moving too much relatively to you. But in turn fights the pip will almost always be under the nose making it useless meaning you will haveto use the fixed sight.

I take it because it is really good at catching bnz attackers out at long range when they think they are safe.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, but how does the selector switch work,  i see that it can be set for different aircraft [ German ]

Edited by taffy2jeffmorgan

Dev diary 196 will tell you all you need to know I reckon. 🙂

24 minutes ago, Soilworker said:

Dev diary 196 will tell you all you need to know I reckon. 🙂

Thanks, that was an interesting read on the technicalities of the gunsight, but is it possible to set gunsight selector when in the cockpit of the Mk 9

2 hours ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

Thanks, but how does the selector switch work,  i see that it can be set for different aircraft [ German ]

You hold the appropriate buttons and the dial moves left and right. It's very intuitive and the marks on the gunsight help you pick the target you're fighting against.

I find the gyro sight useful (although I would like some more physical buttons on my setup to be able to adjust it more quickly) and once dialed in appropriately, even if the target aircraft disappears beneath my nose, I can put some surprisingly accuracy rounds on target with it. Takes some getting used to but it can be very powerful.

Hi Jeff. 

The answer to the actual question you are asking is found by going into key mapping, selecting weapons controls and scroll down to 'gunsight mode toggle'.:salute:

5 hours ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

Perhaps Requiem will post a tutorial for the gyro gunsight ?

there was a pretty good Real Life tutorial posted a while ago. let me see if i can find it

this isn't the one but explains the principle easy enough :-

I tend to calibrate the gunsight for about 200 meters which is what I have my physical gun calibration set to. Hard to miss at that range

The Gyro sight is definitely one of the best aids to gunnery out there, but perhaps not how you would first think it would be.

Basically, the best use I make the the Gyro sight is to help me determine the "axis" of my shots while in a bank or turn or otherwise tracking a target. Basically, instead of trying to put the pipper on the target (which is only useful if you're at the precise range and wingspan you calculated), draw a line from the stationary sight and through the moving one. Put your target on that line, closer to the stationary sight if the target is close, and further down the line if it isn't. 

Just shoot while moving your target down the line (or up), and you'll find yourself scoring hits. It's surprisingly effective, and even helps train up your deflection shooting when using a regular sight. I can definitely see how huge an asset this sign was.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Good advice Yankee. Sight handling of older generation Gyro sights (I have used the CSF97K and a Ferranti Isis sight IRL) takes skill and understanding to get the best out of what the sight can give you. I wrote the following for my old squad in IL2 classic last decade :)  Be aware that the BOS/BOM/BOK Gyro sight does not have the ability to blank the fixed circle which is a real shame as it means the best display option for actual use is not available to you. That is FIXED + GYR0 withe reticle blanked.  Hopefully this will be fixed by the dev team.

Also one thing that is not really discussed much is Trajectory Shift (Velocity jump in US terms). Trajectory Shift is pretty complicated and occurs in the shooters plane of motion and is a function of Muzzle velocity,TAS and AOA. In the K14/MKIIC gyro sights this was a fixed adjustment or constant always applied to the lead solution. In modern gunsights Trajectory Shift is accurately calculated in real time .

The term MFBL means Mean Fixed Bore Line .... which IRL is the centre of the the actual Gun Bore lines.

K14pg1.jpg

k14pg2.jpg

K14pg3.jpg

K14summary2.jpg

Edited by Bert_Foster
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Just shoot while moving your target down the line (or up), and you'll find yourself scoring hits. It's surprisingly effective, and even helps train up your deflection shooting when using a regular sight. I can definitely see how huge an asset this sign was.

A great hint.

However, we don't have another part of gunnery implemented yet - guns harmonization. This is very important thing for planes like the Thunderbolt with that many guns in wings. You don't want bullets streams to converge flying in a horizontal line pattern. It should be a circle instead thus it would accommodate for the gyro sight error margins in both axis. That's why (probably) the gyro doesn't seem to work too reliably for deflection shooting in turns, now. We really should get the harmonization option in the plane setup at least for the P-47/P-51. Unfortunately as it's now even the P-39 has it wrong for nose mounted guns... (they should shoot parallel and be converged only in the vertical plane) We will see if the P-38 shares the same error.

Edited by Ehret

41 minutes ago, Ehret said:

However, we don't have another part of gunnery implemented yet - guns harmonization. This is very important thing for planes like the Thunderbolt with that many guns in wings. You don't want bullets streams to converge flying in a horizontal line pattern. It should be a circle instead thus it would accommodate for the gyro sight error margins in both axis. That's why (probably) the gyro doesn't seem to work too reliably for deflection shooting in turns, now. We really should get the harmonization option in the plane setup at least for the P-47/P-51. 

Agree completely.  

46 minutes ago, Ehret said:

A great hint.

However, we don't have another part of gunnery implemented yet - guns harmonization. This is very important thing for planes like the Thunderbolt with that many guns in wings. You don't want bullets streams to converge flying in a horizontal line pattern. It should be a circle instead thus it would accommodate for the gyro sight error margins in both axis. That's why (probably) the gyro doesn't seem to work too reliably for deflection shooting in turns, now. We really should get the harmonization option in the plane setup at least for the P-47/P-51. Unfortunately as it's now even the P-39 has it wrong for nose mounted guns... (they should shoot parallel and be converged only in the vertical plane) We will see if the P-38 shares the same error.

Right now the way the system works is you specify the distance at which you want your bullets to converge, horizontally and vertically (as if you were flying level), with the distance you set where the bullets will theoretically hit a single "point". This actually translate into a small circular area as divergence is actually modeled in the game (not every bullet flies the exact same trajectory).

Maybe I'm not quite understanding the concern, to be honest. Are you saying that you would like us to have the ability to set the horizontal and vertical range calibration for each guns individually, so that we could then arrange various patterns? If so, then yes, that would be nice. But for now you can still visualize your gun range setting as a single point, and ahead and before that distance you do get a nice spread (which is more oblong than circular, mind you).... it's still quite effective, especially with the help of the gyro sight.

Just now, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Maybe I'm not quite understanding the concern, to be honest. Are you saying that you would like us to have the ability to set the horizontal and vertical range calibration for each guns individually, so that we could then arrange various patterns? If so, then yes, that would be nice..

It should be mandatory. Look for the "Manual for gun harmonization" and compare page 35 to the page 34 to see yourself what difference it makes for the P-47. (moreover, not only for the Thunderbolt)

3 minutes ago, Ehret said:

It should be mandatory. Look for the "Manual for gun harmonization" and compare page 35 to the page 34 to see yourself what difference it makes for the P-47. (moreover, not only for the Thunderbolt)

Mandatory is perhaps too strong a word. BoX has been doing quite well without it, after all. That said, yes, it would be pretty nice to have. :)

1 hour ago, Bert_Foster said:

Good advice Yankee. Sight handling of older generation Gyro sights (I have used the CSF97K and a Ferranti Isis sight IRL) takes skill and understanding to get the best out of what the sight can give you. I wrote the following for my old squad in IL2 classic last decade :)  Be aware that the BOS/BOM/BOK Gyro sight does not have the ability to blank the fixed circle which is a real shame as it means the best display option for actual use is not available to you. That is FIXED + GYR0 withe reticle blanked.  Hopefully this will be fixed by the dev team.

Also one thing that is not really discussed much is Trajectory Shift (Velocity jump in US terms). Trajectory Shift is pretty complicated and occurs in the shooters plane of motion and is a function of Muzzle velocity,TAS and AOA. In the K14/MKIIC gyro sights this was a fixed adjustment or constant always applied to the lead solution. In modern gunsights Trajectory Shift is accurately calculated in real time .

The term MFBL means Mean Fixed Bore Line .... which IRL is the centre of the the actual Gun Bore lines.

Great post. Generally speaking, I tend to set both settings to the minimum (30 wingspan, 200 range), and focus on using "the line" to guide my shots. Very effective, and good training for when you operate without a gyro sight.