PotroastBuckett

Noob needing help on playing the game

I just got IL-2 and christ almighty how do you play this complex of a game. My little mind doesn't know where to begin in playing it.

Alright so sorry if this is an idiot problem. But I can barely take off in the Bf109 F-2. It seems simple enough but here are some questions I need answered or will need to be answered

Q: What is the good flaps percentage for takeoff?

Q: Should I keep slowly increasing the throttle to 100% and keep it there?

Q: Besides turning on the engine. Is there any other engine management I'll need to do while taking off?

Q: How to keep this thing off the ground and not so sensitive when just getting up in the air. It gets super wonky and hard to control as I keep pulling up and down to try and keep it stable.

Thanks and post any more tips or answers I'll need while learning this game.

1 minute ago, PotroastBuckett said:

My little mind doesn't know where to begin in playing it.

Start learning the instruments, then taxiing, take off, flying, navigation, landing, then combat.

• Upvote 1

I'll say start with the plane already in the air. Adjust your keybindings, learn the aircraft. Leave take offs and landings for later.

Salutations,

Welcome to the WWII Flight and Combat simulation community. Please check out the link below. Oh, and remember to always watch you six. :salute:

Craft Flying Tutorials

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Welcome,

What gear are you using? Is it in good working condition? The F4 is slightly unstable, as all good fighters tend to be, but is very easy to fly and requires minimal engine management. There are plenty of pilots willing to help here. Also, look up YouTube videos by Requiem.

They can be found here:

Also, spellcheck is the worst invention ever ;)

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Welcome,

What gear are you using? Is it in good working condition? The F4 is slightly unstable, as all good fighters tend to be, but is very easy to fly and requires minimal engine management. There are plenty of pilots willing to help here. Also, look up YouTube videos by Requiem.

They can be found here:

Also, spellcheck is the worst invention ever ;)

I'm Currently using a Thrustmaster Hotas X and I got it a year ago. It's fine right now.

What problems are you having with the Friedrich? Locking the tail wheel is critical for beginners on takeoffs and landings. I usually ease into the throttle with heavy initial right rudder - decreasing pedal input as speed builds.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:02 PM, PotroastBuckett said:

I would say 40%. Also remember to trim the elevator to -66% (Right Shift + Arrow up or Down)

Yes. And push a little bit forward on the stick as the speed gets above 60 km/h to raise the tailwheel.

Q: Besides turning on the engine. Is there any other engine management I'll need to do while taking off?

Are you using complex or simple engine management? If you are using the simple engine management then use full Throttle until you have raised the gear and the flaps. Then lower the throttle to 60% and climb at 250 km/h until you reach your desired altitude.

You could try to Watch my tutorial on how to takeoff and land in the Bf 109 E-7. The Emil and the Friedrich behave in a very similar manor.

Best regards.

Henrik

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2019 at 3:02 PM, PotroastBuckett said:

Q: How to keep this thing off the ground and not so sensitive when just getting up in the air. It gets super wonky and hard to control as I keep pulling up and down to try and keep it stable.

Setting up curves as described here made a huge difference for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4rAMC9wV9E&t=

Edited by AndreZero
  • Upvote 1

On 1/4/2019 at 9:02 PM, PotroastBuckett said:

About 20% ... look for the horizontal bars on the flaps. One bar = 10% of flaps.

I usually increase throttle fairly quickly in the 109s. I don't slam it forward, but I don't move it in slo-mo, either. And yes: You want full power during take off. Rule of thumb: Get your power to 100% as quickly as you can without messing things up. In some planes changing power too quickly might damage the engine ... well.. in this game only the P-39, but once we get the 262... 😄 Plus if you add too much power too quickly, you might loose control of the plane - especially in the 109 with its narrow landing gear.

Not really. Set the water radiator control to "auto" and you're good. The F-2 is pretty well automated, so you don't have to worry about things like prop-pitch, mixture, etc.

Hard to diagnose this one, but I'd say you're probably overcompensating on the stick. Plus you might want to check your stick's response curves and make it a bit less sensitive on the Y-axis (elevator control).

Also: Have you checked your H-stab trim? It should be set to +1 for take-off. There's a little gauge in front of the flaps- and trim-wheels (left side of the cockpit) that shows your current trim for the H-stab.

Here's a text-book start-up/taxi/take-off/landing in the F-2 from Requiem's channel. He pretty much covers everything you need to know.

Edited by 1Sascha

I suggest to join a virtual squadron

There you can save time and speed your knowledge about this sim( settings, aircfr performance,tips,etc..) and also know new friends to share hours of fun..

On 1/4/2019 at 8:02 PM, PotroastBuckett said:

I just got IL-2 and christ almighty how do you play this complex of a game. My little mind doesn't know where to begin in playing it.

Alright so sorry if this is an idiot problem. But I can barely take off in the Bf109 F-2. It seems simple enough but here are some questions I need answered or will need to be answered

German planes tend to have a fair amount of automation so the 109 series or the 190 a3 are good planes to start with as the radiators, RPM and Prop pitch are all controlled for you.

A: German fighters pretty much don't need flaps to take off you can rotate (lift off the ground) as soon as you reach take off speed, otherwise i rarely use more than 20% flaps, if you look at your left wing that'll be just past the first marker tab.

A: Some planes don't like you going max power from standing however the 109 won't care, she's a racecar waiting at the lights, throw your throttle to 100% and barrel down that runway, keep a reasonable amount of right rudder and slowly ease off as you go to keep her straight, there's a lot of torque.

A: Some planes do require additional work, Inline engines will usually use water radiators and oil radiators you will need to manage these, some radial engines have cowls which manage both, some have separate inlet cowls to outlet cowls, read up on the plane you're planning to fly. some planes allow you to manage the RPM of the engine, others the fuel mixture, I'm not sure of any that don't have automatic prop pitch so you're good there.

A: Wonkyness may well be your joystick input, i'd have a look at "Joystick/Response Curves" I have the Thrustmaster t.16k M and at first found myself jinking all over the shop, i adjusted the in game response curves and it's been much much better.

Download the guide located here:

this is a very handy guide to the various cockpits and gives you some helpful tips on take off, landing, flying etc.

Finally, Watch through Requiem's tutorials, Flying takes Study and he's a great teacher.

Happy Hunting!

There are many great tutotials, Requiem, Der Sherriff, StG77HvB, and I offer  a few playlists as well: 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

"You could try to Watch my tutorial on how to takeoff and land in the Bf 109 E-7. The Emil and the Friedrich behave in a very similar manor."

Thanks for the really good tutorial HenFre.

I've seen a couple of others on Youtube which were also quite informative, but yours is the first I've seen that didn't seem to assume quite a lot of prior knowledge/experience.

I really appreciated many of the details you provided, including throttle settings, altitude and distances. I think most pilots who post similar tutorials are so accustomed to taking off, flying circuits and landing, that they forget there may be some raw beginners who still need advice on just how to fly a circuit!

I'll be watching this again (and again) before I attempt my first Bf-109 takeoff sometime in the immediate future.

Edited by jaygee485
insert quotes
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:53 PM, jaygee485 said:

Thanks for the really good tutorial HenFre.

Thank you so very much for your kind words about the tutorial :biggrin: Posts like yours really makes my day.

I hope the tutorial will make it easier for you to learn the takeoff and landing procedures. Practice a lot and you will be flying circles around your enemies in no time.

See you in the virtual skies :salute:

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 3:02 PM, PotroastBuckett said:

The hotas x is a solid entry level joystick, but at default settings can be quite unwieldy, you need to setup the sensitivity in the keybinds section, click on the little graph icon next to the axes key and set the sensitivity to around 50%, the higher the more input is needed to make the plane move giving you a little more stability.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:06 AM, =KG76=colninny said:

By now you should be well on your way. Check out my 60 tutorials from simple to complex starting with: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aewu2Fx7qHk

cheers! :)

Some good advice in that video Colonel, and very entertaining to see how temperamental a bf-109 can be on therunway 😁

Tutorials by members such as HenFre, Requiem and yourself are invaluable for us beginners.

I've got quite a few more of your vids to work my way through, thanks for all the good work. :clapping:

Things that helped me, and I am still a newbie, although one that no longer crashes on take off and landing:

- Most likely issue is your rudder sensitivity. I suggest you try these rudder settings: sensitivity 50%, dead zone center 20%, dead zone edges 0%

- Practice a lot taxing on the ground; start with manual RPM==> set to lowest, this of course won't be good for taking off, but it is simplifies taxing, less ground loops, so you can train

- set trim (stabilizer) to +2 or +3, this will make take-offs longer, but with no possibility of the plane getting airborne before it is ready

- I no longer use 20% flaps, it is not really needed, but feel free to start with it

- until you get good with the rudder controls, start take off with full stick on tail down, keep it this way for a few seconds as this forces the tail down, so it will move less. this is really more I trick for non-tail wheel lock planes like those Russians. Few seconds, then stick to the center

- around 60km put stick up a bit, just to set the tail upwards, with the tail off ground you should have a lot less rudder trouble

- at 200km take off

I strongly suggest you also follow Requiem's Air Combat videos