Sign in to follow this  
WWSitttingDuck

Ships in Kuban

Anyone else having issues with ships on the Kuban Map.  My destroyer is going forward 50m, stopping, going forward another 50m, then going in reverse. 

Putting down a ship and waypoint is way too easy, so no way did I mess that up.....

Posted (edited)

Check:
- Are your ships are too close together?
- Is your waypoint(s) too far away?
- What settings do you have for the waypoint(s)? Medium? High? Low?

- Are there enemies nearby that are causing your ships to go defensive?

- Is the ship too close to land?

- Is the waypoint(s) firing before the ship gets to it causing the ship to redirect to the next waypoint(s)?

Edited by [TWB]Sketch

Ah.... the joys of mission creation. The rapture of it all. :yahoo:  

• Haha 1

Aww....c'mon guys.  The friggin ships are going BACKWARDS!!   You put a waypoint behind a ship and it's not going to go backwards, it's going to turn around.

366603474_KubanShips.thumb.jpg.251dc942174cffa5c99f024f8af2a004.jpg

I thought at first I figured it out.  I do most my building in map view, and in map view you do not see that the Kuban Map does not extend that much north.  I was pretty close to the edge of the map, so moved everything well south of the border.

444231311_Kubanships3.thumb.jpg.dbdbfce803219fe95aa3b40979322c0a.jpg

I suppose I could replace the Destroyer with another ship and see if the same thing happens, but that will not help me much.  I want a Destroyer.

Single player mission, if anyone wants to see if the same thing happens at their end.

http://bhah.homeip.net:192/Old Fokkers/Misssions/KubanShipTest.rar

Not much help to you but I had destroyers as part of a convoy of slow moving landing craft, and they did the same thing—destroyers actually went backwards. I think they are Very sensitive to positioning and speed of other ships. I ended up removing them for now.

If you want to fine tune your convoy, consider using automatic start from mission begin, an aircraft or camera nearby, and 8x time speedup. I had to play with my ships and waypoints a LOT to get it working.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Alonzo.  It was a 2 ship convoy at start, figured the second ship might be the issue so deleted it.  And good idea to speed things up, spectate and watch what happens.....it might all get squared away eventually, but that is going to mess up any timing I might want to accomplish,

hmm....the ships are Russian....maybe if I make them German they can figure this out....

Edited by WWSitttingDuck

All ships in my campaign (including Russian destroyers) are behaving normally. That said there is some collision logic now that can change expected behavior sometimes if vessels are too close to each other.

Another trick you can do is give each ship it's own waypoint; instead of having a formation of ships for a single waypoint.

Ok, kudo's to [TWB]Sketch...

I have never paid attention to the distance between an object in it's waypoint.  Never thought I had to, and do not believe I  have to if it is a Plane Object, but appears if it is a ship, you do.

Did not spend the time to pin down an exact distance, but think its safe to say anything over 25k meters from waypoint to ship object is going to cause you issues. If it it the initial waypoint, the ship(s) will just go backwards and forwards.  If it is a subsequent waypoint, the ship(s) will stop, then start going backwards, then forward.

Didn't make any difference if it was a destroyer, or 2 link destroyers, and got the same thing with torpedo boats.

As Thad said:

6 hours ago, Thad said:

Ah.... the joys of mission creation

• Upvote 1

Yep - waypoints need to be close(er) than aircraft.

I made a convoy of three destroyers, the second linked to the first and the third linked to the second. I then put waypoints at a fairly good distance. Once you set the speed, and the orientation of the waypoint correct, I have absolutely no problem and my convoy speeds up and runs though the waypoints like a charm.

But you have to pay attention to the directions of motion set by the waypoints. If its opposite to the motion then the ships will change speed or go backwards.

By chaining the ships to one another, they follow each other and the do even steep turns very nicely. I put targets on the shore and so the three destroyers advance on a line with all guns blazing on their side and pound the shore. Beautiful.

The wayoint cant' be too far away too far away or it won't work, as pointed out above.

Agreed, but how far is too far?

So I checked with my convoy of three destroyers speeding at 50km/hr in rough seas.

Conclusion you can put the first waypoint not more than 23 km from the ship, same for next viewpoints and it will work perfectly. 

If you go over 25 km it will not work. In between you take risks.

Always take care to orient the viewpoint in the direction of the motion towards the next viewpoint.

yep, that is what I am seeing too......daisy chain them vs a lead and a bunch of "wing" ships....

can't say I am totally done testing,,,have to see what happens when each of the element gets destroyed independent of all the others