GCF

Weekly Flying Circus Mass Dogfight Event

9 hours ago, West said:

Why driving the hard bargain Arthur?

Good question.

For the last fortnight it's been cold, grey and winter here.  I think I must be coming down with post-christmas Seasonal affective disorder:wacko:

Point taken. 

Apologies to the OP too:salute: 

• Like 2

Just don't start to think you 'own' the game GCF.

And if we could get a single sub-topic, or a sticky one for arranging flying times.. that would be better than the forum being clogged up with posts titled "I'll be flying in 5"

S!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Just don't start to think you 'own' the game GCF.

And if we could get a single sub-topic, or a sticky one for arranging flying times.. that would be better than the forum being clogged up with posts titled "I'll be flying in 5"

S!

i perfectly agree about clogging up the forum that is why i am trying other things to help people find opponents, point take i will no longer post in this forum looking for players, and yes i do i own the game 🙂 as does everyone who has paid for it, sorry for being over inthusiastic but have fallen head over heals for Flying Circus. and i apolligise to people for clogging up the forum, will not do it again. i just find this a strange forum , people would rather bitch and moan, about things that are wrong with the game, without thinking a a work around.

thanks 

paul

no hard feelings 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, GCF said:

i perfectly agree about clogging up the forum that is why i am trying other things to help people find opponents, point take i will no longer post in this forum looking for players, and yes i do i own the game 🙂 as does everyone who has paid for it, sorry for being over inthusiastic but have fallen head over heals for Flying Circus. and i apolligise to people for clogging up the forum, will not do it again. i just find this a strange forum , people would rather bitch and moan, about things that are wrong with the game, without thinking a a work around.

thanks 

paul

no hard feelings 🙂

Hi GCF, like you have multiple threads running about in fact the same subject you can hold it by a single one adding new actualised posts like ZF proposes.

Like it is your thread I believe you can even edit the subject to that sence.

Edited by West
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, West said:

Hi GCF, like you have multiple threads running about in fact the same subject you can hold it by a single one adding new actualised posts like ZF proposes.

Like it is your thread I believe you can even edit the subject to that sence.

Thanks did not know how it worked on this forum, i only belong to another forum for years and there it was a new thread / topic and heading for new subjects, you wanted to discuss, i do apoligise , i was not even aware i was doing any thing wrong, thanks for explaining it to me. i will no longer be looking for opponents on here or giving shout outs here, sorry again, i will just edit title of one thread. also i will be looking in to putting a tag or quote attached to every post i make with the discord info on it as soon as i figure it out , so will no longer be advertising it in a thread at all anymore. sorry all ! no offence meant, just did not know how it worked here, thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. hope you dont mind but i will be making a a sepperate thread tomorrow, For Screen shots and recording for people to post in , if they want to, from the FC meet up on JG1 server being held tomorrow. i hope this is okay ?

thanks and sorry again ! 

paul

sorry for clogging up the forum, i guess i got quite to over entusiastic about FC lately 🙂

Posted (edited)

Zooropa,

Dear Chap,

Complaining about Spamming Now are we?

Have a crumpet

And a mug of brandy now, dear chap

!Salute!

@GCF:  Broken clocks are right twice a day.  Take their advice on this one and tone it down a tad, because the flight sim Pollyanna 'activist' types tend to get on peoples' nerves.  But quit apologizing to them, because they don't "own" the game either.

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Hi all,

I'm having a few issues connecting to the server. After the loading screen i crash back the CO-OP or Dogfight screen.

Does anybody have any qucik troubleshootig tips for this?

Thanks,

A-Tree

6 minutes ago, A-tree said:

Hi all,

I'm having a few issues connecting to the server. After the loading screen i crash back the CO-OP or Dogfight screen.

Thanks,

A-Tree

whats your ping like ? where are you in the world , as affects ping

1 minute ago, GCF said:

whats your ping like ? where are you in the world , as affects ping

Server browser was giving me 150ish. I'm in th UK.

should be fine you have you got nods activated ?

56 minutes ago, A-tree said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

A-Tree

I was having the same problem. Try restarting the computer. It is login in now.

15 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

I was having the same problem. Try restarting the computer. It is login in now.

I got in! 

Was a bit short on time tonight but had a blast. Hopefully will be able to play again next week. 

• Thanks 1

Great fun tonight.

Anyone who wants their bullets back, I have quite a collection sitting in my kidneys, feel free to pick out the ones you're missing.

• Thanks 1

Yup, it was fun! Big crowd as well!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

1659873813_OhFokker.thumb.jpg.3062ab6447b50c556ca584a99638fade.jpg

Join the RFC they said.

Make a man of you, they said.

Ahem.

'Dear Women's Land Army, 

I am writing to enquire as to whether any vacancies exist ......'

Edited by SP1969
  • Haha 1

thanks to all , had great fun, hope you all did !

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2019 at 4:29 PM, SeaW0lf said:

Well, the Sunday we had 30 players at JG1 beats any current mission we have in ROF at the moment.

This Sunday, VM had 40. Just saying... ;) 

I don't think this ought to be a FC vs ROF battle or whatever. Would be nice if some compromise could be reached. I would attend both.

On 1/4/2019 at 5:06 PM, West said:
Under that hurt for sure you realise as well as anybody else both cater to a totally differed crowd?

Not such a different crowd. I'm not an airquake guy and I'd join just for FC fun.

Anyway, I'd like to praise GCF for organising the event. Just sad it happens to collide, and I'll have to skip a lot of it, same as many.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:33 PM, SeaW0lf said:

I would say people could support Flying Circus a bit more. JG1 and JG5 seem to have settled and are always online. The only setback is that we still don't have servers listed at barans.ru, so we have to be giving a shout here in the forum. Other than that, things are picking up.

All in favour of more participation in FC online!

On 1/4/2019 at 10:02 PM, SeaW0lf said:

Now if people drop here to just trash Flying Circus and don't show up at the servers and compare it with an inferior game

Inferior is a poor adjective here. It's a mature game. It's a completed game. It's a great game. Comparing the two is meaningless. Would you like to compare the career mode? The plane set? It's not the point here.

Let me just add that if you read the ROF unofficial facebook page, you'll see that I'm not defending ROF against FC there. I'm actually letting people know that both exist, FC is the future, etc. But you need ROF player base to hold, and a nice transition. If you make me choose now, for instance, I'll drop both and head on definitely to BOX until FC gets mature, maybe. See you in my JU87...

Edited by J2_Bidu
  • Upvote 2

GCF thanks for setting last night up, had a great time. Flipping heck chaps a lot of planes in the sky, some fur ball.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'm in more or less complete agreement with Bidu, except he apparently prefers those new fangled metal monoplanes. They'll never catch on.

I very rarely flew/ fly MP in RoF, not because of any particular aversion to doing so, but because, especially when one factors in the extraordinarily brilliant PWCG, MP was / is only a very small part of the overall RoF experience.

I'm nearly sixty years old and computer games simply didn't exist when I was a younger person. I did buy a Sinclair ZX Spectrum back in the early 1980s and played one or two of the arcade games that were available at the time, but really, arcade isn't my sort of thing. I read Tolkien as a boy ( who, in the 1960s and early '70s didn't? ) but I never really saw the draw in pretending to be a semi naked Elf warrior princess ( Why are you looking at me like that? Don't tell me you didn't. Blame Lara Croft's pixellated peaks). 

I discovered I liked building computers and spent many of my off duty hours playing around with hardware, building quite effective gaming rigs, but not really playing games with them, apart from the odd FPS - sometimes for hours on end - ( I'm looking at you, Crysis ) - and then, one day, I saw that 777 had come up with RoF.

I nipped onto the web, snaffled a cheap stick and ordered the DVD from Amazon.

Well, that was the end of my social life.

For the first time, I saw that a video game could be accurate, absorbing and very, very difficult to play well.  

The more one played it, the better it got - change the response curves, switch off the icons, make a personal skin or two, play PWCG in DID mode, buy another aeroplane, rinse, repeat - and all the time, looking at the panorama of the Western Front laid out below one, watching the temperature and fuel gauges as one struggled to bring a shot up FE2b far enough West to set her down in a field....hoping that the Albatros that had been tracking you for the last ten minutes wouldn't suddenly wing over and attack.....this was what I had imagined as a boy when I read Biggles books and looked up at the badly built plastic models hanging from fishing wire from my bedroom ceiling as they twisted in the breeze from my window.

Video game crack. Total immersion.

And then came FC.

As FC currently stands, furball MP dogfighting is the only thing available.

No map, no context. Although the AI is vastly superior in FC, the SP experience is, to all intents and purposes, nil. 

It is arcade.

And yet. 

I have gone from firing up RoF at least once a day ( I really don't get out much ) to......never firing it up at all, since I got FC ( except to check if the Camel engine breaks as easily in RoF as it does in FC - it doesn't ).

Why? 

Firstly, the visuals and game engine, are, unquestionably, better in almost every way.

I transferred one of my RoF skins over to FC and was shocked at how blocky and smudged it looked when compared to the new game's graphics.  

FC has taken the shine off the visuals in RoF - although RoF remains beautiful, it now looks vaguely cartoonish to my eyes, the fields below - even with mods - look blocky and low in detail, the sky isn't, somehow, as realistic as it once seemed to be be, even with Happy Haddock's mod.

The actual gameplay is undoubtedly superior - if....slightly more detached, somehow. The 'connection' to FC aeroplanes doesn't feel quite as 'direct', somehow. I can't explain it.

And, oh Boy, it needs, it REALLY needs context.

Great fun being chased by a better player, great fun sitting in a highly detailed cockpit, twisting your head around to see if the bugger is STILL sitting on your tail, and 'BOOM' the immersion is ruined by the quad mount 20mm quick firing WW2 era anti air blasting you out of the sky just as you finally shake him.

I was very disappointed to read that work on the map hasn't even started yet.

Even the tone of the last developer blog disappointed me, slightly - 'for the main project 'Bodenplatte'' - well, guys, I understand the WW2 community is much bigger, but 'Bodenplatte' and 'Flying Circus' cost the same, so why is one 'the main project' and the other is, by default, not 'the main project'? 

And yet - I'm still playing FC MP, every day, for a good couple of hours at least. My dog has served me with divorce papers. My neighbour has asked if my central heating is broken, because they keep hearing a 'strange, rumbling, droning noise' emanating from my flat at 3 am. My right wrist is sore - and I haven't watched anything on Redtube for months.

Because FC is the future, in my opinion. It has the potential to be everything that RoF was / is and a whole lot more.

If you force land near a village and switch the engine off,  one hears that the village dogs are barking at the noise. That is incredible attention to detail, and I love it.

1CGS has a very tough act to follow.

RoF is still, almost a decade down the line, far and away the best best combat flight simulator ever to evoke the World War One era. RB, WOFF, not even close.

I read in someone's post that for every account holder playing MP in FC, there are 9 who are not. 

Which means, I guess, that for every 10 accounts, 9 of them are not switching FC on at all, because there is no single player game at this stage.

And that is why the efforts of people like GCF, HLCF, and the JG1 crew are so important, because without them, there wouldn't be MP servers and without MP servers, and the people playing on the MP servers,  there would be absolutely no point in buying FC as it currently stands.

Edited by SP1969
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Great read SP1969, points well made. I started 1980 with a Grandstand game box then moved onto a Commadore 64, god how long did it take to wind the game tapes to the start.

Last two years spent flying on line in BOB until the game was broken by the development team. ACG moved to BOM and BOS, flying Russian aircraft just does not do it for me after my trusty Spitfire. Campaign night was amazing with up to 130+ pilots taking part in historical and accurate well made missions.

So after having ROF since it was released but not really getting it, I have tried FC and look forward to it moving on in development. I fly in VR and the emersion is truly amazing. Looking forward to maps and eventually some great missions, my small dip so far into FC MP has been possative as everyone taking part are a friendly bunch.

See you in the sky's.

7 hours ago, J2_Bidu said:

This Sunday, VM had 40. Just saying... ;) 

I think you missed the point. He was saying that we only have 4 planes and this and that. I said that we had 30 players in an event organized a couple days before which only had a thread in the forum. Yesterday we had 16-18 players in general in an event organized by a new player a few days before and in a thread that has been combated for days (mind you that the thread is in Flying Circus, which is a bit weird to say the least). For an airquake mission, that was a blast. 

People should defend and protect other (old) games in their own forums. 

Good Morning all , thank you for joining, i had a blast and great fun even if i was doing more crashing / being shot down, than flying 🙂

i will put up more later about the event, just wanted to say, Thanks All for a great evening, im just off to fly FC multiplayer, have more time later.

this is one hell of an addictive game. need to satisfy the urge before i get FC withdraw, and the shaking starts 🙂

2 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

You started a thread over in the RoF forum to tell them that FC (with only 4 aircraft) has put RoF in the rear view mirror.  You probably shouldn’t be surprised when they come over here to tell you to F#$% off.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

You started a thread over in the RoF forum to tell them that FC (with only 4 aircraft) has put RoF in the rear view mirror.  You probably shouldn’t be surprised when they come over here to tell you to F#$% off.

If I have done it at Cubans or NFFs thread people had all the right to tell me to F%$# off. Not here. So you missed the point as well.

EDIT: Mind you that I oppened that thread at the section called "Other Games". So I was spot on.

Edited by SeaW0lf

Just now, SeaW0lf said:

If I have done it at Cubans or NFFs thread people had all the right to tell me to F%$# off. Not here. So you missed the point as well. I'm not surprised.

Dude, you went to the RoF forum to tell them that FC has left it in the rear view mirror.  It takes a lot of nerve to now tell them to stay out of this forum.

With VR especially this is a lot of fun.  Thanks GCF for bringing everyone together and JG1 for putting up the server for us.

screenshot.jpg

• Thanks 1

VR is still a bit far from me, but I can only imagine. Perhaps in a couple generations I'll get one.

15 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

If I have done it at Cubans or NFFs thread people had all the right to tell me to F%$# off. Not here. So you missed the point as well.

EDIT: Mind you that I oppened that thread at the section called "Other Games". So I was spot on.

No, you missed the initial point. My first post simply stated the fact that the event would conflict with Syndicate Sunday and with the small niche of  fliers why force anyone to choose. You continued to expand on it, incorrectly, that the player sets were almost  mutually exclusive. Even after Cuban Steve and myself said fine, no offense taken you continued to beat your drum so don't be surprised with what you read here.

Btw I did not find  yesterdays 1 v 5 Sopwith encounter particularly exhilarating as I shot down 2 and watched the other 3 spin to the ground. I guess I'm not getting the same view from my mirror as you are..

Posted (edited)

Yeah, the Entente is flying with lots of newbie's. On my stint with the Dr.1 I shot 12 planes (the second higher scorer on that mission had 6 IIRC). The last plane that I shot down with the Camel was you if I recall correctly, so I think I'm doing fine.

Edited by SeaW0lf

An Extremely big Thank You !!! to all at JG1 for all there help, providing a very playable, enjoyably, detailed server for all of us to play on, and allowing me to hold last nights event on your server.

S! JG1

Thanks

paul

• Upvote 1

Yes, we bumped a little, probably lag as you continued flying. I nosed over trying to ditch.

• Like 1

I might be there today guys. See if I can move things around at home.

3 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

I don't intend to drag this discussion forever, but you mentioned ROF in this thread before I did, so I posted my view on what you had said. I will let the moderators moderate, though, while trying my best to stay on topic. Anyway, my post was not about ROF and I don't think yours was either.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, J2_Bidu said:

I don't intend to drag this discussion forever, but you mentioned ROF in this thread before I did, so I posted my view on what you had said. I will let the moderators moderate, though, while trying my best to stay on topic. Anyway, my post was not about ROF and I don't think yours was either.

You should read the whole thread. And yes, I'm trying hard to stay on topic as well.

Edited by SeaW0lf

38 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

You should read the whole thread. And yes, I'm trying hard to stay on topic as well.

I already had.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2019 at 3:44 PM, SeaW0lf said:

The communities largely overlap. The Vintage Missions is one time a week where RoF players gather (two if you are in America, I am not, three if there is FIF... but usually it's the one and only time for European to play RoF). It's time when olf faces crawl from woodworks to fly together again. Setting another event at the same time is unfortunate, as it excludes large group of dedicated players. I'll fly FC at every opportunity I have, but VM is an institution in my sim life; FC event set during VM ia a non-opportunity. You make these ~40 pilots choose, you lose large part.

I wouldn't expect VM to go away soon, either. It will likely be serving 1916-1917 missions at least until FC2 (and then it may just move emphasis to seaplanes and naval actions  ;) ). Saturday tournaments will probably move between FC and RoF until FC has more varied planeset.

I believe Friday evening is great moment for big FC gathering, as it is i) prime time, too ii)  not competing with existing WW1 events like Thursday Fly-in, Saturday FiF/BA/BS and Sunday VM, iii) there is no work next morning, unlike Sunday. With Friday event we would actually have whole weekend covered with WW1 flying 😍.

(Oh, as of people not flying RoF... Some planes are free. Others are dirty cheap :D. There's no need not to follow the crowd from one server to another, especially if we agree what we're doing each evening).

Edited by J2_Trupobaw
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

The communities largely overlap. The Vintage Missions is one time a week where RoF players gather (two if you are in America, I am not, three if there is FIF... but usually it's the one and only time for European to play RoF). It's time when olf faces crawl from woodworks to fly together again. Setting another event at the same time is unfortunate, as it excludes large group of dedicated players. I'll fly FC at every opportunity I have, but VM is an institution in my sim life; FC event set during VM ia a non-opportunity. You make these ~40 pilots choose, you lose large part.

I wouldn't expect VM to go away soon, either. It will likely be serving 1916-1917 missions at least until FC2 (and then it may just move emphasis to seaplanes and naval actions  ;) ). Saturday tournaments will probably move between FC and RoF until FC has more varied planeset.

I believe Friday evening is great moment for big FC gathering, as it is i) prime time, too ii)  not competing with existing WW1 events like Thursday Fly-in, Saturday FiF/BA/BS and Sunday VM, iii) there is no work next morning, unlike Sunday. With Friday event we would actually have whole weekend covered with WW1 flying 😍.

(Oh, as of people not flying RoF... Some planes are free. Others are dirty cheap :D. There's no need not to follow the crowd from one server to another, especially if we agree what we're doing each evening).

there should be some way of working it out, the times dont clash much.

I am not inflexable, could you please help me get in touch with the people who run the other campains, to tell the truth it did not even enter my mind that i would have to coordinate with ROF, in my nievaty i saw FC as totaly detached and saw a need for something to be done as i was not getting shot down enough. no offence meant to anyone and no ill feelings.

Really why have conflict and striff between FC and ROF, if they are as close as people say they are would it not be better if we all got along, its a game after all.

S!

thanks

paul

• Upvote 5