Jaxum

What version is the most active?

I'm just getting back into IL2 after my first semester at University. Which module Kuban, Moscow is the most active? I'm torn on what version to buy.

They're all interoperable, so as long as you own a plane that is on a server, you can play multiplayer on that server.

eg if you have a 1942 scenario on the server, and you own Battle of Moscow, you may not be able to fly the I-16 there but if there are MiGs you could fly that.

Most popular module though I think is still Battle of Stalingrad as on most server there will be at least a few planes from that module that are flyable in early, late or mid-war scenarios.

1 hour ago, Jaxum said:

Which module Kuban, Moscow is the most active? I'm torn on what version to buy.

Multiplayer is unified, so you can play on any server that allows an aircraft you own. Therefore, you shouldn’t worry too much and just choose whichever theatre interests you the most. However, it is worth keeping in mind that the MP scene is stretched to cover some four years of aircraft development, meaning that not all types will fit every scenario.

Kuban is more recent, so it can have a bit more momentum (not to mention later, more powerful aircraft). However, that doesn’t mean that you won’t find plenty of Moscow activity. 

The real question is what plane do you want to fly? If you are just starting on high fidelity flight sims, you'll want to spend a good bit of time in the Quick mission builder learning your chosen plane. 

I've played a lot of combat flight sims over the years. I think I've had BoX for a couple of months now and I'm still in the learning the plane and learning to maps stage. Admittedly, switching from the P-40 to the P-47 after Christmas reset the learning, but it will probably be some time before I'm comfortable enough in the plane to take it into multiplayer. 

9 hours ago, Jaxum said:

I'm just getting back into IL2 after my first semester at University. Which module Kuban, Moscow is the most active? I'm torn on what version to buy.

Are you into singleplayer or multiplayer?  There’s probably a different answer for each. 

No you don't need BoS to use any of the others.

• Like 1

If you want the game on steam youll need to buy BoS from there first, then tack on the rest from this website.

If you dont want it on steam you can start with whatever you want

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Field-Ops said:

If you want the game on steam youll need to buy BoS from there first, then tack on the rest from this website.

Actually, the way Steam handles it is:

BoS is the base game

BoM, BoK and all the collectors' planes are DLC.

So what you do on Steam is buy BoS first, then buy everything else as DLC (also on Steam).

S.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, il2crashesnfails said:

dont you have to get BOS before any of the others?

On Steam yes BOS is mandatory (and BOM/BOK/BOBp are considered as DLCs)
Without Steam, you can launch for example BOK as a standalone

Edited by -IRRE-Centx
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, il2crashesnfails said:

does anyone know why steam makes BOS mandatory?

Don't quote me on this but I *suppose* it's due to how Steam publishes games and their DLC. All three have the same (base/non-sale) price (€46.99 in my neck of the woods), so it doesn't look like it's a financial thing. At least not as far as the consumer is concerned. Perhaps there's something going on between Steam and 1C that makes offering BoM and BoK as DLC more attractive financially for 1C, but that's just me speculating.

S.

1 hour ago, 1Sascha said:

Actually, the way Steam handles it is:

BoS is the base game

BoM, BoK and all the collectors' planes are DLC.

So what you do on Steam is buy BoS first, then buy everything else as DLC (also on Steam).

S.

Actually, you can have only BOS on Steam and buy rest from 1C website. After you link accounts together (way to do it is somewhere here on forum, check announcements), you can start game through Steam and have everything you bought in game.

• Upvote 1

The problem with the way that Steam handles things is that folks thinks that the IL-2 DLC is expensive not understanding that they are all interchangeable (outside of Steam).

5 hours ago, il2crashesnfails said:

does anyone know why steam makes BOS mandatory?

I’d just not worry about that and forget Steam - buy directly from the IL2 site.

9 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I’d just not worry about that and forget Steam - buy directly from the IL2 site.

ok will do

steam takes 30% , that is for sure