J5_Matthias

Jasta 5 Server Flugpark - Official Release Unofficial Fixes

Thank you.  Inclement weather has passed and things are normal.

• Like 1

SERVER UPDATE 2019-11-13

All maps now at version 191113 to take full advantage of the "Official Release" of Flying Circus

• All equivalent WW1 Objects added to replace WW2 objects.  Known Issues noted below:
    • Armored cars were not swapped out because we weren't given a WW1 armored car.
    • Train MG defenses removed completely because we were not provided a set of appropriately toned down and equivalent WW1 AA Mg Flatcars and I know two seaters are tired of getting hosed by those Mg34s.
    • Trenches are still limited to singular MG emplacements representing infantry because we didn't get any actual infantry.  :(
  • Balloons added to both sides.
    • They flare Red for approaching enemies within 8km. 
    • They flare White for enemies within 2km and then begin to descend towards the ground.
    • When enemies go away for a long enough period of time they begin reaccending and eventually regain their ability to provide distant detection via flares.
    • When at their maximum height of 1500m ONLY they also provide friendly observation support on the map within 7.5KM - extra incentive to kill them.
    • Balloons don't respawn.  Dead is dead
  • Shell shocked "Mud Flak" AAA units have been rotated off the lines for some much needed R&R, and has been replaced by "medium accuracy" units that can also tell friend from foe.  All pilots are advised to juke when actively shot at.  We'll see how long they last.
Edited by J5_Matthias
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Upvote 2

Thanks a lot for the update, we were eagerly awaiting for those things 👍 But I might have come across a bug, because I did the approximated route below with a Dr1 (Amien to St Quentin dawn spring 1918) and wasn't fired a single shot of flak that I know off. I circled the balloon at the Somme and the one north. I crossed the mid mud at 2km, turned south at 2.5km and from the Somme onwards I flew at 3km. But no luck. I don't recall seeing flares from the balloons either, but I might have missed it. Although the one at the Somme wasn't pulled down when I circled it from the altitude of 3km.

bG06yfz.jpg

58 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

Although the one at the Somme wasn't pulled down when I circled it from the altitude of 3km.

The balloon shouldn't go down from a direct overhead flight at that alittude unless you start to dive on it.  I will recheck the mud flak batteries.  There are coverag gaps.  It's not supposed to be an impenetrable wall.  Balloon flares I will also  recheck.  The distant red flares may be too far to see?

10 minutes ago, J5_Matthias said:

The balloon shouldn't go down from a direct overhead flight at that alittude unless you start to dive on it.  I will recheck the mud flak batteries.  There are coverag gaps.  It's not supposed to be an impenetrable wall.  Balloon flares I will also  recheck.  The distant red flares may be too far to see?

I'm not sure about the flares because visibility is poor after the update and I was 1.5km above, so perhaps there were some flares. Regarding the flak, I was doing a straight line, sort of how I indicated, then I might have crossed several sections of flak, plus the balloon defenses. The route going south might be closer to the mud because the HUD map does not match perfectly with the real map. My reference might have been the first hump of the Somme, not the second. It was a long and untagged patrol over enemy territory, hence why I imagined that I wasn’t triggering the AA batteries.

I'll check tomorrow on the other maps.

S! Matthias

The pulldown works as expected.  You get within 2k and it is pulled down.  The MCA is at an altitude of 1k so anything over 3k will not pull it down. Works fine.

I have not been able to get balloons to flare.  I checked your balloon. No red flare - no white flare.

You may want to review coalitions. Germany is axis versus Germany WW I.  I think this is for proper parser stats. Other than that I do not believe there is an affect.

I posted this on the day the patch came out:

Do Balloons flare?  Have them going up and down but they will not flare.  Put vehicle on ground and it will flare from same trigger.

Do balloons go higher than 1500 meters?  Have upper way point set at 2200 meters but balloon only climbs to 1500.

Not sure about river barges.

Peniche a         has no guns.

Peniche gb       has guns but will not fire at enemy planes.

Peniche e          has no guns.

Peniche ger      has guns but will not fire at enemy planes.

Posted this on Saturday:

Update: AAA Truck - tested Thorny13pdr-aa

You have to get within 1500m before it will attack. At 2000m it will not attack

The platformaa-mg34.mgm is a new object with 2 guns. The original RR AA was a four gun  set up that worked well for WW II. This car does NOT attack enemy planes. This is true if it is a car on a train or a single linked entity by itself.

Have received no explanations or reply from Devs

Tanks were not listed in the update but are available as AI.   Brit Mark 5 and German a7v  in the vehicles section

I have also started a poll about the soggy ground.

Both SittingDuck and I have brought up the  Airfield under attack info on the map.  We would like to get rid of it or make it a server or map option. No response from Devs.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Butzzell,  I will review the flare to balloon ties and make sure it's not an issue on my end.  I would not be surprised if they simply left that functionality out of the balloons based on my research into the next item of my post.  Which is...

I regret to inform the community that it appears the mainstay WW1 AAA flak guns are for all intents and purposes broken.  Unintentionally bugged or radically altered from ROF for reasons I don't understand... I don't know.  How this could have made it out of testing without being caught... *sigh*

Anyway, both the flak77mm and the quick firing 13pdr which were provided as part of the official release are completely incapable of shooting beyond 1500 meters - unlike all other flak artillery and completely unlike ROF, which means that we as mission builders are completely unable to provide even basic marking flak coverage let alone an effective defense at altitude using the proper WW1 guns...  So even flying around at 1000 meters - because the coverage is spherical aorund the gun - pilots become almost completely invulnerable to flak even at normal AI difficulty due to the miniscule "time on target" the gun has to hit the plane before it moves out of range.

I will leave the updated maps as is for a few days so that you all can see and experience it yourself, and provide your thoughts, but right now I see no way around - at least for the front line - having to reimplement the WW2 weapons to provide marking coverage over the lines and in high concentration flak zones which are much larger than 1500 meter circles...  If we ever get real level bombers or  want to mark enemy activity over photo recon points, with AAA fire it will force the reimplementation of ww2 AAA in the rear areas as well.

Also regarding balloon heights, yes 1500m appears to be as high as they'll go - but I know in ROF you can adjust temperature and pressure settings on the map to allow the balloons to float somewhat higher.  Haven't tried that in IL2 yet.

I'll look at the AA on the barges too - they used to fire at planes but maybe not anymore?

Edited by J5_Matthias
  • Thanks 1

That's bad news considering that we have bugs piling up and no news about fixes. 

In my opinion, until they fix these things, it is better to bring back the WWII flak (with the suggestion to discriminate friend from foe at the mud so that we can devise some tactics).

I have flown 4 long sorties since yesterday and saw no flak but once, of a Dolphin flying low over Bapaume. That's it. I flew long sorties over enemy territory, over the mud, saw a D7 force a balloon to lower down but did not see a single flak fired, Cappy was attacked by several planes and I did not see a single flak fired (had to resort to fire all my flares to ask for help) and the map radar was indicating an enemy over Cappy for a long time and no flak either. I just heard a couple of people talk about flak these days, probably in bombing raids at the deck.

Without flak, the mud seemed empty, void, with no life down below. Sad news.

Noticed that mission stats for J5 Flugpark seem to be delayed and/or missing.

At time of posting the last mission stats available is #467 and i can't seem to find the stats for Thursday Night Fly-in

Anyone else get this?

Edited by US103_Baer
  • Upvote 1

Checked:

Thursday Night Fly-In would have been #467 would it not?  It was yesterday night 11/14.  Subsequent mission appears to have processed as well.

Edited by J5_Matthias

I flew nearly 2 hours last night for the fly in, but my last sortie shown in the stats page was Nov. 10th.

The Thursday Night Fly-In sortie that I had yesterday is also missing from my parser and my tally.

Looking at the list of missions, it appears that the parser may have glitched as it shows a mission time of only a few seconds. We will try to see if it is possible to reparse or not. 

16 hours ago, J5_Matthias said:

Also regarding balloon heights, yes 1500m appears to be as high as they'll go - but I know in ROF you can adjust temperature and pressure settings on the map to allow the balloons to float somewhat higher.  Haven't tried that in IL2 yet.

I'll look at the AA on the barges too - they used to fire at planes but maybe not anymore?

I think I will adjust mine to float back to Wargrounds and NFF.

Just now, J5_Baeumer said:

Looking at the list of missions, it appears that the parser may have glitched as it shows a mission time of only a few seconds. We will try to see if it is possible to reparse or not. 

Don't....I was killed after flying for an hour seeing nothing.

• Haha 1

Borrow Voss's motorbike and go into Cambrai, and see that doctor and get your eyes checked.   You may be going blind. 

39 minutes ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Borrow Voss's motorbike and go into Cambrai, and see that doctor and get your eyes checked.   You may be going blind. 

Most likely a consequence of my adolescence.

im horny jack nicholson GIF

On 11/14/2019 at 5:55 PM, J5_Matthias said:

I regret to inform the community that it appears the mainstay WW1 AAA flak guns are for all intents and purposes broken. 

😀 finally, the news that really made me happy. cost to remove fighters from the game and it will be absolutely great, for bombers of course 😎

ps 

Is the stress point system cumulative or does goal recovery take points away?

and if possible, raise the description of the mission to the topic

Edited by I./SG2_Foxmann

SERVER UPDATE 2019-11-17

All maps now at version 191117

• Some maps now have low altitude "Patrol Airstarts" added with limited planes added as a way to promote dogfight activity during low server population conditions.  Until we get full custom aerodrome placement in FC, this type of custom start is about the limit of what can be done.
  • Many AAA flak units were reverted to WW2 units to promote better sim/gameplay conditions.
  • The Douai-Cambrai map was reintegrated into the map rotation as a full time addition now that it has WW1 unit updates.  Note:  May require further tweaking for flak down the road as well as possible Patrol Airstart additions.
  • Parser was updated to hopefully fix what is being reported as sporadic semi random stat dropping?  Will continue to monitor.
  • Mission descriptions updated as applicable with information on the War Stress System for newcomers. (Amiens-St.Quentin maps)
Edited by J5_Matthias
  • Thanks 5

The custom airstart Dolphin seems to be set to undestructible, or at very least has collisions turned off. I had crashed it behind enemy  lines only to flip up undamaged and take off. I have also a track with me taxiing thorugh hangars and other airfield object. Lucas did crash his Dolphin against a tent normaly, so it seems to be affecting airstart Dolphin only.

2019_11_17__23_30_27.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Had this interesting moment tonight:

Attacked by two D.VII Fs that were completely invisible until right before pulling the trigger. My wingman had actually spotted one 3-4 min before they engaged, but said to me over comms that he'd seen it just vanish into thin air as he was tracking it. He had initially seen it among AAA fire and we tracked the AAA as it got closer, until it was nearly on top of us. The whole time we were scanning hard in all directions trying to spot the enemy planes. 

Eventually we think the flak must be aimed at us, and we start looking for other targets. We very quickly spot a flight of 3 aircraft low inside German lines (we were on the edge of our lines), about 9km away. Suddenly, my wingman is attacked. As we are fighting off the attacker, I look behind me, just in time to see another D.VII F appear out of thin air at nearly point blank range... 

This was around 3.5 - 4k and the only air start anywhere near was an Entente one...

I'll make a separate thread about it...

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Upvote 1

Biggest day to date.  Great to see FC interest continuing to increase!

tempsnip.thumb.png.612d728f9d15e2636959a6b56155082f.png

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Hey guys, 

first I want to take the chance and drop a big THANK YOU for hosting and developing the maps for the comunity! It's a pleasure to fly WWI birds on pretty crowded servers again.... 🙂

Only thing I would like to ask is why are the kill notifications disabled on your server? I personally would like to know who are the pilots I am fighting with... 😉

(And sorry if this Q was already answered anywhere else)

Salute 

Etzel

• Upvote 2

Is the plane spiraling down actually shot down or faking it?  Do you give up your altitude to press the attack (possibly unnecessarily) and risk being bounced yourself (or don't you)? 

As a result, the messages for kills are viewed as an immersion killer. 

Feel free to review the sortie logs on the Flugpark parser to see who you tangled with.  Kill messages can affect gameplay unnecessarily.

Glad your enjoying the Flugpark!

Edited by J5_Baeumer
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 5

12 hours ago, II./JG1_Etzel said:

Hey guys, 

first I want to take the chance and drop a big THANK YOU for hosting and developing the maps for the comunity! It's a pleasure to fly WWI birds on pretty crowded servers again.... 🙂

Only thing I would like to ask is why are the kill notifications disabled on your server? I personally would like to know who are the pilots I am fighting with... 😉

(And sorry if this Q was already answered anywhere else)

Salute 

Etzel

The kill notifications being disabled is a good question. I was initially against it, but I’ve come to really appreciate it over time.

First of all, it’s obviously more realistic that you don’t know the exact moment a kill is being attributed to you. You can still check your kill tally by opening the scoreboard with Tab.

Second, if you’re absolutely sure you have got a kill/gotten killed and you wish to acknowledge the fight with the other party, just do so in chat. In general it leads to far more amicable banter than when the loser is “forced” to admit defeat.

Finally, AI kills count too. Without notifications these are harder to distinguish from real (novice) flyers.

• Upvote 3

Just to make it clear: It is not about the confirmation that I've killed someone or I have been killed by someone (latter one I will recognice anyhow), it is only about to know who was the one involved in the action around. 

E.g. on Sunday after a hard fight I bumped a camel from behind as we were in a hard pull up and due to low speed I lost the effect of my rudder and elevater... sure, I send my apologies via chat simply "...to the camel" but I would have preferred to be more polite and name the pilot I've collided with (esp. as in the logs it turned then out it was a JG1 team-mate I bumbed into 😳)

But well, from the immersion point of view it makes sense to turn off kill notifications, no doubt on that...

And finally: 1st it's your server, thus your decisions and 2nd is anyhow only a very minor side topic => so  thanks very much for your prompt answers and explanations  🙂

Salute!

• Upvote 1

I'm firmly against disabling kill messages. Current setup makes me set aflames people I already shot down, which in my eyes outweights all the benefits. Most immersion I get from it is when I watch a flamer and think "Would I lose a victory if I let him glide home"? It's much harder to make the game *not* about ruining each others day.

You can actually monitor the scores via Tab key to know if you got the kill or not, so the immersion killer is still there. What it really removes is a big "You can stop killing this guy already" message that's hard to overlook in heat of the moment.

Edited by J2_Trupobaw

39 minutes ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

I'm firmly against disabling kill messages. Current setup makes me set aflames people I already shot down, which in my eyes outweights all the benefits. Most immersion I get from it is when I watch a flamer and think "Would I lose a victory if I let him glide home"? It's much harder to make the game *not* about ruining each others day.

image.jpeg.4f25fd89c5e0f74f26d21290eef56872.jpeg

This is 1918 Trupo....unrestricted submarine warfare, bombing of civilians. Baeumer, tell him of the mustard gas casualties. We fight to win.

Edited by J5_Klugermann
  • Haha 4

Nah Willy, that's a game we're all trying to enjoy. I believe there is a difference between being shot down and being shot down then being pointlessly taken apart over next few minutes just in case.

Oswald Boelcke and Robert Wilson

Edited by J2_Trupobaw
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

Nah Willy, that's a game we're all trying to enjoy. I believe there is a difference between being shot down and being shot down then being pointlessly taken apart over next few minutes just in case.

That is something you won't tolerate in your squadron ?

Image result for karl michael vogler

(You may need to watch the Blue Max again...in English)

Edited by J5_Klugermann

^^^^^^^^

I second the thoughts and feelings on not knowing whether you actually put someone out of the fight. With the 3rd Pursuit Group claiming system its works really great with the historical immersion. 

How much do I want to risk just for a confirmation sort of thing.

Initially did not like it but quickly saw the impact in style. 

Either way it never says it when you shoot the parachute. 

Edited by US213_Talbot

I also prefer to don't have kill messages. It is more realistic and leaves the chat tab cleaner.

• Upvote 2

to find out who you shot down you need to get his skin before the game. Each self-respecting ace has a personal skin in the game. You can create a theme for the server and upload your skins there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We actually do recognize some Jastas because  pilots use skis from last Black September event .

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

S! All

The other reason to disable the kill messages is to disable the  "Pilot X has destroyed ship Penichegb"or "Pilot X has destroyed Factory". Depending on the target, these messages can give a lot of information to the enemy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

We actually do recognize some Jastas because  pilots use skis from last Black September event .

Are you saying 1PL actually TARGETS specific pilots because of their color selection?!  Outrageous!   What's wrong with having some fashion sense in the air?!

• Haha 2

[SOLVED - I landed on the German side]* Guys, is that possible to check something? I'm almost sure that I force landed at our side of the mud in the Sortie: 19.11.2019 - 20:22. But I got the "captured" message. Is that a way to verify that? Perhaps it is a bug. I might be wrong, because I forgot to check the sun position during my flight and I might have landed on the wrong side, but I think I recall going for the side with the sun (end of the mission, so it was on the Entente side). I did not land on the mud. I landed beyond the mud on a patch of grass, near the Somme. I looked left after the land and I'm pretty sure the sun was there, so it can only be south of the Somme on our side.

Perhaps @J99*Basti and @J99_Sizzlorr can confirm in each side I was. One of you guys followed me. Maybe I got confused.

Edited by SeaW0lf

1 minute ago, SeaW0lf said:

Guys, is that possible to check something? I'm almost sure that I force landed at our side of the mud in the Sortie: 19.11.2019 - 20:22. But I got the "captured" message. Is that a way to verify that? Perhaps it is a bug. I might be wrong, because I forgot to check the sun position during my flight and I might have landed on the wrong side, but I think I recall going for the side with the sun (end of the mission, so it was on the Entente side). I did not land on the mud. I landed beyond the mud on a patch of grass, near the Somme. I looked left after the land and I'm pretty sure the sun was there, so it can only be south of the Somme on our side.

Perhaps @J99*Basti and @J99_Sizzlorr can confirm in each side I was. One of you guys followed me. Maybe I got confused.

I was the one following you diving towards our lines. I then broke off to help Basti out. Don't know if you landed there where i broke off or if you turned around back to your lines. But when i was disengaging you were over our trenches.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

We have skis now?  is this some pay-to-win DLC I've missed?

• Haha 1