J5_Matthias

Jasta 5 Server Flugpark - MISSION TESTING SCIENCE SUNDAY!

i've noticed for the seventh time that every time i take central powers there are always one or two vulchers flying above clouds over our airports waiting for people to take off, they just do only this, returning back only to reammo/refuel there is anything you can do about it, like adding a strong short range flak to keep em off?

it's really keeping me off  from playing in your server

Edited by =GEMINI=Hawkmoon98
  • Sad 1

Take the DviiF from the rear airfield and climb to 4-5k then bounce them. I’ve seen a few of the good Fokker pilots doing this repeatedly. The DviiF has much better high alt performance, and she seems to be able to keep with the SE and Spad in a dive now, plus the ballistics model makes sniping waaaay easier 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, =GEMINI=Hawkmoon98 said:

i've noticed for the seventh time that every time i take central powers there are always one or two vulchers flying above clouds over our airports waiting for people to take off, they just do only this, returning back only to reammo/refuel there is anything you can do about it, like adding a strong short range flak to keep em off?

I would agree with @No56_Hotwing that this is intended behaviour.

If the forward field is stressed and under attack, better take off from the rear field, climb and take the vulchers by surprise. You'll know where to find them. Central powers are meant to be more on the defensive, unless it comes to attacking trenches. Also don't forget that you have a parachute.

42 minutes ago, =GEMINI=Hawkmoon98 said:

I've noticed that every time I get to forward field there are 1-3 Entente planes loitering below cloud level, asking to be jumped :).

What about creating an "infantry contact mission"? Would be similar to the "arty spot" of RoF lore. You could have this work with the ground attack mission somehow. Maybe have the contact patrol restart the ground attack and it swaps the stress point back and forth between both teams? If even possible. Or getting a two-seater to the contact obj starts the "offensive" and creates a ground attack mission for the hun.

Speaking of arty spot, it definitely needs to be put in.

Neither of these missions require great height and are actually the opposite.

Full disclosure i know nothing of mission/map making or how it works. Would love to learn on day.

Been diving deep in my USAS history books for a forthcoming "The Fighting Two-Seater" manual. I'll post it up for all when I get done.

Edited by US103_Talbot

Just now, No56_Hotwing said:

Take the DviiF from the rear airfield and climb to 4-5k then bounce them. I’ve seen a few of the good Fokker pilots doing this repeatedly. The DviiF has much better high alt performance, and she seems to be able to keep with the SE and Spad in a dive now, plus the ballistics model makes sniping waaaay easier 

I can attest to this from experience.

Having a great time flying on this server, slight potential mission bug to report:

Flying Central powers, selected Hlberstadt C.II 200HP,  departed & returned to Moslains airfield after taking out Factory 1 (and bagging a Bristol behind our lines!).  When I landed back at Moslains, it.was a good landing with no apparent damage and within the airfield confines (came to a stop just past the windsock), but it was flagged as emergency landing.  Not sure why?

Thanks!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, J5_Klugermann said:

I can attest to this from experience.

So it’s not just me that the DVIIF is diving with SEs and Spads? Will the DVIIF engine overrev at all? What’s the max RPM? I’ve defo managed to kill the SE and Spad engines 

1 hour ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

was flagged as emergency landing.  Not sure why?

You probably suffered self inflicted frag damage or some machine gun damage at the target.  Take a look at your sortie details in the parser record for that mission.

8 hours ago, No56_Hotwing said:

So it’s not just me that the DVIIF is diving with SEs and Spads? Will the DVIIF engine overrev at all? What’s the max RPM? I’ve defo managed to kill the SE and Spad engines 

As it appears, the D7F has a diving bug, when she is not going to over-rev in certain conditions. There is a post somewhere, I think by Lucas from 1PlL. IIRC, this was ported from ROF.

Got

My

Badonkadonk

Handed

To

Me

But I bombed a barge in to oblivion which was nice.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, No56_Hotwing said:

Nope. I even had one occasion where a D.VII F started overtaking me as I tried to dive away. Something's not right with this picture...

3 hours ago, US103_Larner said:

Nope. I even had one occasion where a D.VII F started overtaking me as I tried to dive away. Something's not right with this picture...

Could be because the in game SPAD can't dive faster than 350kmh in my brief testing without losing parts.  Read that it could dive much faster than that, but who knows how much of a difference there was between the two.

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/SpadXIIIuk.html

Edited by -332FG-Garven

13 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

You probably suffered self inflicted frag damage or some machine gun damage at the target.  Take a look at your sortie details in the parser record for that mission.

But still even when you are damaged and land in own active aerodrom , yours  status should be green. Landed successfully.

11 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

But still even when you are damaged and land in own active aerodrom , yours  status should be green. Landed successfully.

That's what I thought.  I received (get this) 0.1% damage from the Bristol I encountered (although to be fair he did put up a decent fight). 

Otherwise I landed just fine - and the really odd thing about the landing is that the mission log shows damage going from 0.1% to 2% to 99% as I rolled to a stop, even though from my perspective the aircraft was in great shape, no wingtips scraping the ground etc... I could have taken off again if I'd wanted to. 

No big deal, since we're not being charged to pay for a new virtual plane every time the stats say we damaged one (although that could be a big revenue opportunity for 1C, I'd think).  

@J5_Baeumer

Two things;

1.  On the map could we please see the locations of the targets on our own side?  Trying to hunt down tree-scraping two-seaters that make it past no mans land is really difficult without any good idea where they might be heading, especially during off hours.

2.  Regarding off hours; Could you guys look at your server statistics and after identifying the down times consider rotating in some smaller maps during those times?  I know there is only the one Arras map; but I mean a version of it with a more compressed action area, to funnel players to each other when there's only like 3-5 people on.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, =GEMINI=Hawkmoon98 said:

hi, it's me again, how recon missions works?

As a pilot doing the missions I presume rather than the technical mumbo? You basically just have to fly over the target a number of times. You have to be between a certain altitude range, can’t remember what those are but hover over the icon on your map and should state them. Want to say it’s 5,000ft to 10,000ft and the closer to 7,000ft the fewer passes you need to make.

As you go over the target area a message will inform you that you are taking pictures. Once you have left the target area another message informing you that you have left and to make another pass. Keep doing so until it informs you that you have the pictures and can head home or something to that effect.

Return to your airbase and land the aircraft. Another message will inform you of your success. Be aware though damage your aircraft and you end up failing the mission once you land instead.

Edited by Oliver88
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hrafnkolbrandr said:

@J5_Baeumer

Two things;

1.  On the map could we please see the locations of the targets on our own side?  Trying to hunt down tree-scraping two-seaters that make it past no mans land is really difficult without any good idea where they might be heading, especially during off hours.

2.  Regarding off hours; Could you guys look at your server statistics and after identifying the down times consider rotating in some smaller maps during those times?  I know there is only the one Arras map; but I mean a version of it with a more compressed action area, to funnel players to each other when there's only like 3-5 people on.

1.  If I do that the map clutter with all the additional icons is likely drive some people over a cliff.  Knowledge of exact locations that need defense would be a boon, yes, but I'm not convinced that defenders need it.

2.  That's an idea I've considered... although I wish it was as simple as you make it sound. Compressing the mission is pretty much rebuilding the mission because of all the randomization that has to be tweaked to work with it, not to mention airfields would likely need to be moved and/or pared down....  Another idea I was considering but would like feedback on - what about turning Icons=On during low population times as a way to alternatively drive PvP action?

Another server update on the way tonight also...  bug fixes and a couple new things.... :) 

Edited by J5_Matthias

47 minutes ago, J5_Matthias said:

1.  If I do that the map clutter with all the additional icons is likely drive some people over a cliff.  Knowledge of exact locations that need defense would be a boon, yes, but I'm not convinced that defenders need it.

2.  That's an idea I've considered... although I wish it was as simple as you make it sound. Compressing the mission is pretty much rebuilding the mission because of all the randomization that has to be tweaked to work with it, not to mention airfields would likely need to be moved and/or pared down....  Another idea I was considering but would like feedback on - what about turning Icons=On during low population times as a way to alternatively drive PvP action?

Another server update on the way tonight also...  bug fixes and a couple new things.... :) 

1.  It doesn't need to be that detailed.  Just an X marks the spot and a title or something.  Allies don't need to know about the heavy flak zones for instance.  The clutter isn't overwhelming on the enemy side, you can still navigate over there just fine.  It will be fine on the allied side too.  Other servers manage it just fine.

2.  I'm not suggesting that compressing the mission would be easy, and I wouldn't expect it overnight; but I think making a pared down version of the mission would be worthwhile in the long run, by really enhancing the gaming experience during off hours; and maybe preventing the scourge of people logging on, flying around, then logging off in boredom.  Plus it could be used for other things too.

I doubt icons would be received well.  I do admit to thinking earlier today, flying (and definitely not dogfighting) with two other people on the server, "right now would be a good time for AV"; but some people have such a visceral reaction to both that I doubt the fliegerwhining that results would be worth the hassle.  Edit- Of course it isn't like any of them are flying at those times anyways.

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr

FLUGPARK SERVER UPDATE - 10/21/2019

• Fixed a mislabled icon for Entente Barge 2 which was labeled Barge 1
  • tooltip spelling issue fixed for an Entente objective.
  • Two new variants of the original map added to the rotation to spice things up wtih new weather and different times of day:
    • DAWN, 0600, CLEAR
    • NOON, 1130, SCATTERED CLOUDS @ ~1700M

Next on the plate... a whole new map or two... with new objective types, more randomization, etc.  I don't have a timeframe at this point, but work has already begun.

Have fun and feel free to report any bugs or issues in this thread.

Salute,

Matthias

Edited by J5_Matthias
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Talby and I flew earlier - we found ourselves wondering what the sun was doing on the other side of the lines, and wondering where all the clouds had gone 😂

Looking forwards to getting into some dust-ups with the Bosche on the new maps! 

Edited by US103_Larner

2 hours ago, US103_Larner said:

Talby and I flew earlier - we found ourselves wondering what the sun was doing on the other side of the lines, and wondering where all the clouds had gone 😂

Looking forwards to getting into some dust-ups with the Bosche on the new maps! 

Bizarro Arras.

image.jpeg.126d515c31e2c5cc299359890c6230fb.jpeg

Edited by J5_Klugermann
  • Like 1

Gotta say, superb job on the flak. I've never once been hit by it (nor do I know of anyone who has) but it still get pretty damn scary when they range you in...you do get the sense that you're flying over an elite AAA unit...

Edited by US103_Larner

Thanks for hosting this server and setting up the maps. I know it takes a good bit of work and funds!

S! J5,

Hunter

• Thanks 1

We will look at the objects list in the parser.   It may need updating.

Hi guys, I have a suggestion if you don’t mind.

It would be interesting to consider make flak discriminate friend and foe, as it did in general during the war. I think it was mentioned online that flak don't discriminate as of now. Flak was a great tool to spot enemies back then. And being tagged in our own lines make us easy prey for bouncers when it should be the opposite. It also defeats the purpose of opposing sides in a patrol, other than in the case of a ditch or bail in enemy territory. People are resorting to the chat to ask: "Anyone above Cappy?" to clarify if it is friend or foe.

Just my two cents. And thanks for being here for us. Flugpark has been staple since the beginning, and to be listed online made it possible for FC to have good numbers of players, especially now with the Arras map. Way to go!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, hrafnkolbrandr said:

Over 30 minutes over the lines (off hours, trying to seed since again nobody online), not a single aircraft from either side to be seen.  Not even AI.

Wargrounds 2.0

Think you picked the wrong night - we were all on FC JG1 (42+) for the Thursday Night Fly-In! Will be on J5 Flugpark next week

Edited by US103_Larner

21 minutes ago, US103_Larner said:

Think you picked the wrong night - we were all on FC JG1 for the Thursday Night Fly-In! Will be on J5 Flugpark next week

My playing time doesnt line up with the regulars, trying to draw some randos though.  Sometimes it works, Ooropi shows up, followed by another, gets up to 5 players...Still can't find each other most of the time lol.

It's nice been seeing about 12ish on my lunch breaks though.

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr

13 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

Hi guys, I have a suggestion if you don’t mind.

It would be interesting to consider make flak discriminate friend and foe, as it did in general during the war. I think it was mentioned online that flak don't discriminate as of now. Flak was a great tool to spot enemies back then. And being tagged in our own lines make us easy prey for bouncers when it should be the opposite. It also defeats the purpose of opposing sides in a patrol, other than in the case of a ditch or bail in enemy territory. People are resorting to the chat to ask: "Anyone above Cappy?" to clarify if it is friend or foe.

Just my two cents. And thanks for being here for us. Flugpark has been staple since the beginning, and to be listed online made it possible for FC to have good numbers of players, especially now with the Arras map. Way to go!

I think they should wait for dedicated period AAA to be released. It is in beta build so it will be soon I hope.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hrafnkolbrandr said:

My playing time doesnt line up with the regulars, trying to draw some randos though.  Sometimes it works, Ooropi shows up, followed by another, gets up to 5 players...Still can't find each other most of the time lol.

It's nice been seeing about 12ish on my lunch breaks though.

It is tough I admit but I have found if you look for the flak and chase it you will run into another player, which could be either friend or a foe, most times at the river near cappy. What are your playing times and I will try to line up with you.

Edited by J5_Sturm
added info

32 minutes ago, J5_Sturm said:

It is tough I admit but I have found if you look for the flak and chase it you will run into another player, which could be either friend or a foe, most times at the river near cappy. What are your playing times and I will try to line up with you.

I spent a long time chasing flak.  I have a feeling some of it is ambient/random?

My playing time usually falls around 3am gmt.

5 minutes ago, hrafnkolbrandr said:

I spent a long time chasing flak.  I have a feeling some of it is ambient/random?

My playing time usually falls around 3am gmt.

I have asked Matt (mission builder) and according to him there is no ambient flak. All flak fires when there is a aircraft near by he did not say if it is player or AI, presumably both.

Sorry to hear. 3am GMT would be 11PM for me and due to the early wake up time I am normally in bed by then.

11 minutes ago, J5_Sturm said:

I have asked Matt (mission builder) and according to him there is no ambient flak. All flak fires when there is a aircraft near by he did not say if it is player or AI, presumably both.

There is no effing way.  I carefully scrutinize flak bursts, and if there is a plane near there, I usually see it.  There appear to be some flak batteries that only fire on aircraft, and others that fire whether there is something there or not.  Unless they are firing randomly into the sky at a distance because *I* am the plane in the area.  But it comes from my side of the lines.  ???

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr