KpgQuop

HS129 V2 WIP

Thanks PatCartier and =ARTOA=SimSonius. As I always say at this stage of the game, thanks for your patience.

More to come.

Nice work on the normal map, really looks like all fine details were layed out with great care. With such results I'm happy to wait a little longer and enjoy the progress updates meanwhile.

However, I noticed some spelling mistakes in the stencils on the wing. Not a major concern but noteworthy.

Hs129_typos.thumb.jpg.55b04f441712055da56d8683d7e9c95d.jpg

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, KpgQuop said:

It's not much to show for a week's work.

Reveal hidden contents

gli2Lnx.jpg

That is some seriously good work. The normal map, the paint chipping is exceptional. Wish I had those skills.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello All.

Thanks for the comments.

Thank you 6./ZB26_5tuka for the corrections. I'll incorporate them, though there are likely to be many more.

Here's an additional update covering control surfaces and an attempt at shaping a spinning prop hub.

Spoiler

BPa7dtU.jpg

8L7PxMC.jpg

vdbaC3U.jpg

VBn8AJS.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Hi mate,

this looks fantastic - great and painstaking work. Never saw such well researched and implemented detail. Congratulations!

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Hello All and here's this week's update.

As you can just about see, the top of the wings has been metal chipped. Then it was on to the props and necelles. These will be finished next week, along with the underside of the wings.

Thanks for looking and have a great week ahead.

Spoiler

Dv9hArQ.jpg

S4shByc.jpg

1EnVxoW.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 5

Looking good!

Once you have the details complete you get to move onto the custom weathering you'll have to create... 🤩

Hi DetCord. Thanks for the reply.

The custom weathering should be a stroll in comparison to the metal chips.

On a side note, you wouldn't believe the difficulty I had placing those two discs of chips directly in the centre of the prop hubs (spinning and stationary). Imagine the trouble I'm having getting your spiral spinners to work in 4k.

1 hour ago, KpgQuop said:

Hi DetCord. Thanks for the reply.

The custom weathering should be a stroll in comparison to the metal chips.

On a side note, you wouldn't believe the difficulty I had placing those two discs of chips directly in the centre of the prop hubs (spinning and stationary). Imagine the trouble I'm having getting your spiral spinners to work in 4k.

You shouldn't have to recreate my spinners for a 4K texture with all you have to do. If you're willing, shoot me your WIP template and I'll do them for ya. That should at least alleviate that one issue so you can focus on everything else. 

I'll take you up on that handsome offer DetCord. I'll get just a little more chipping done and then have one last go at the spirals. Then I shall throw my hands up in despair and leave them to the experts.

9 hours ago, KpgQuop said:

I'll take you up on that handsome offer DetCord. I'll get just a little more chipping done and then have one last go at the spirals. Then I shall throw my hands up in despair and leave them to the experts.

No worries and no rush. Whenever you get around to it. Again, with everything you have to do crossing just one thing off the list would probably help.

Hello again everybody and here's this week's update on the HS129.

Wing chips are now done. I hope that under a few dirt/oil stain layers and with a few final adjustments,they'll settle right in. Fuselage next.

Spoiler

oyWkDcH.jpg

fBRIBpS.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 8

If you don't mind me asking, what technique are you using to draw the paint chipping? It looks subtle like natural wear and tear. I try to draw this style and it always turns out bad.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the encouragement CCG_Pips, Yankee_One et al.

HI Danziger. No problemo. You're using Photoshop now right? So, to achieve the results above...

1. Finalise your pannel lines and rivets. "Bake" these into the surface of the model using the mormalmap as usual.

2. Create a layer containing a copy of your pannel lines and rivets. Ensure it's perfectly aligned with the rest of the material in your work.

3. Select everything in this layer with Select - All. Then select the Move tool and shift the pannels/rivets one pixel up and one pixel down. This will make a precise selection of only the pannels and rivets whilst keeping them properly aligned. (I'm sure there are better ways of doing this). Then, go back to Select. This time, click on Select - Inverse. This will allow you to edit everything beyond the boundry of the rivets and pannels. You can discard the layer created in 2 now.

4. Create a new layer for your metal chippings either above or below your pannel etc layers,  with the inverse selection active. Select the Pencil tool - you'll probably use size 1- 3, depending on how big the chips to create are going to be. Give the pencil a mid-range bluey grey colour - RGB 85, 101, 108 was used here.

5. Go around the pannel/rivet edges chipping selected areas. Consider how airflow might abrade the paint and which parts of the airframe would be subject to most bumps and dings. Less tends to be more.

6. Now it's time to give your chips a dull metalic shine. Select-All the chips and Copy/Paste them into the file where you are creating your Alpha Channel work. 

7. Select the chips using the method described in 3, (or a preferred method) and Fill the chipped area with an appropriately shiny grey tone. In the example above, the painted areas have Alpha Channel readings of RGB 36, 36, 36 whilst the chipped areas read 50, 50, 50. The areas covered by pannel lines and rivets reads 7, 7, 7.

8. Transfer a flattened copy of your Alpha document into the Alpha channels of your Template and you should be good to go.

I hope this helps Danziger and if anybody can think of a more rational, streamlined approach, I'd be all ears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! That inverse thing sounds like a key element I was missing. My lines and rivets were crossing over the top of the paint chipping which was pretty ugly.

• Upvote 1

Hi All

Finally got round to putting some chips on the fuselage. It's all started to look a little gritty, but as mentioned previously, it should mellow out under a few dirt layers.

Spoiler

p1wgOU3.jpg

HUHBwBC.jpg

WPUV53t.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey @KpgQuop if you need a hand with anything (anything meaning chipping, dirt, dirty chipping or any other menial tasks) then just sing out. I'd be happy to lend a hand. Just pm me or something if you need? Great stuff so far, my friend!! :good:

• Upvote 1

Hey Raptorattacker

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it very much. I bet you'd know just how distinctly ordinary this whole chipping malarchy can start to taste after a while.

But it's a personal challenge now. Muuuuuuuuust finisssshhh temmmmplaaaate....soooooo close....uhgh...

Apart from the spinners. I got nothing. But DetCord's got  me covered there.

Spoiler

pL6P2rY.jpg

IK63NWn.jpg

I'd be pleased to hear about any changes I need to make to the stencils.

Thank you.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Hello all and here's to another week of achieving nowhere near as much as I thought I would.😃

Spoiler

Pj48WDI.jpg

DAOwwob.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Um it just might be my server rights, but there appears to be nothing to reveal? all the other hidden picks work just fine.

Never mind, problem is server based.

Looking great as usual.....

Edited by spudkopf
  • Upvote 1

oh, I'm pleased you got that sorted out Spudkopf. Here are some more screens I was going to post, hoping they'd work for you.

Cheers SCG_BOO.

Spoiler

ggPuS1w.jpg

2J081D7.jpg

rJreuH9.jpg

Edited by KpgQuop
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 3

Wow !

The clarity of your template looks more like 8K than 4K, just unbelievable how you do that . . .

Thank you so much for doing this, it is an incredible amount of work.

Greetings   the little Guardian

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2019 at 6:37 PM, KpgQuop said:

Thanks for the offer

Hey, absolutely NO problem. I know exactly what you mean about personal mission!! A strange thing is, I personally love doing things like the chipping and such but then I also find tiling bathrooms very meditatory as well (don't ask)!! Anyway, it's looking great to date and here's to the finished article my friend!! :drinks:

3 hours ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

how do I get this skin its amazing!!!

Its still a WIP template Mastiff.

KPGQUOP has been working on this labour of love for several months through least one major catastrophie that would have made most of us give up. It'll be a real assest to BOX once released though and i hope 777 recognise that and adopt it officially as they have with BHHs stuff.  

Hello All

First off, apologies for last week. I thought I'd show you the completed chipping work instead of doling it out 1cm2 at a time. As stated above, the appearence will change when they sit under various dirt, oil and exhaust stains - though I do think the light blue underside chipping needs some attention.

Thank you Little Guardian. That made my day.😁

Hey Raptorattacker. Thanks for that material you sent over. I'll use those interesting shapes in the dirt layer. I can think of one or two pannel lines where they'd be just the ticket. The Pannel lines, rivets and metal layer in these screenshots are all colour coded for this particular machine, plus some generic summer Eastern theatre subjects. However, in the template release, I'll include some general purpose layers for rivets etc that should work on any given airframe. That little coulour swatch will provide the chips. Thanks again.😁

Thanks 71st _AH_ Mastiff. It's been a WIP for wayyyyy too long; but things are starting to get mopped up now. 😁

Thanks SCG_BOO. I really appreciate that. However, if I see just one skin made out of this template, I will be very well chuffed.😁

Spoiler

0kWSMnW.jpg

wQj9ZD7.jpg

0cFz5Zu.jpg

8tHFdy4.jpg

VSZA5EM.jpg

zWxIzRm.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Here's a quick update on the Duck.

Spoiler

RNJdriV.jpg