Blitzen

Vive VR with lenses replacement upgrade- anyone tried it?

Just got the Samsung HDM+ and I have to say it isn't that much of an improvement over Oculus. I have heard a few comments about Vive VR with upgraded inprovement lenses That you can do yourself. Has anyone tried this? If so what has been your experience? Is it worth returning the Samsung HMD?

I think that is mainly with the newer ( and much more costly) Vive Pro that some are replacing the lenses with the Gear VR lens.

Personally I think that is a little crazy spending that much and having the Gear VR lens do a better job than what you get, but some folks

are pretty happy with it.

Until a true second gen product comes out ( in my case hopefully from Oculus) going to stick with my Rift CV1.

I thought the lenses would work on the less expensive VIVE as well...no?

Yes, they do work on the first gen Vive. I have them on mine. Although the screendoor effect is still there, the difference in vibrance and clarity make it all a worthwhile modification.

Posted (edited)

I have OG Vive with Gear Vr Mod and Pimax 5k+ ,both  pair of lenses are good but in clarity Gear Vr plain lenses are unbeatable. Additional benefits: 2x sweet spot and almost 0 godrays. Anyway my Vive is retired now and Pimax won in all others categories..

Edited by TWHYata_PL

Pimax is on my radar, buta You-tube vid gave it a good but not great review.I believe they said it was not a Generation 2.0 but more like a 1.5 ..and "sort of cheap feeling..." I had pre-ordered it but stepped back after that review.Its a lot to pay but I would be interested in your feelings.For now I'll stick with Oculus for a bit longer...

I have a vive Pro with lens mod..  for me it took my device to a much higher level.  I think mileage can vary depending on the kit you get and your vision.  Mine is gorgeous.  It was easy to install and I do not see any distortion.

I am awaiting my pimax 5k

for the vivepro the gearvr lense mod is a must as the difference is astounding. I've done it on my vivepro and it's mind boggling why it wasn't like that from the factory. I never tried the original Vive (was an Oculus user).

Ok, the Gear VR lens are a must for either of the Vive headsets correct? Let me ask users -is the screen door effect much less than Oculus? How about Pimax 5K ? Does it eliminate the screen door effect? The Samsung HMD+ did but exterior views of objects were no better at all &  in my view worse.I'm looking for a new headset that eliminates SDE and delivers a sharp image of both targeted aircraft & sharp non- jagged views of aircraft , vehicles & objects as close to what we all see on the non-VR monitor version.Is Pimax 5K,deliver or should I just be patient & wait to see if ?when Oculus might throw its hat in the ring for an upgraded version?

I know its asking a lot but there you are....😎

I've had the Rift before and since a month im using the VIVE Pro. Installed the GEAR VR lense mod this week and it makes a huge difference in clarity and sweetspot indeed. With the PRO/lense mod configuration the SDE is a lot less apparent in comparisson with the Rift. It is still there though just barely noticable.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 1.JaVA_SgtChanceless said:

I've had the Rift before and since a month im using the VIVE Pro. Installed the GEAR VR lense mod this week and it makes a huge difference in clarity and sweetspot indeed. With the PRO/lense mod configuration the SDE is a lot less apparent in comparison with the Rift. It is still there though just barely noticable.

Did you have to do any significant changes in "startup.config,steam VR or anyplace else?Was the install of the replacement lenses relatively trouble free?

I'm still converned as to whether to order the regular Vive VR or the Vive VR Pro to go along with the changeof lenses.the cost difference on Ebay can be significant. I assume both come with hand controllers for other things?

Edited by Blitzen
another question

41 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Did you have to do any significant changes in "startup.config,steam VR or anyplace else?Was the install of the replacement lenses relatively trouble free?

for my vivepro there was no changes in any of the files or any other software. The replacement is pretty straight forward.

Two things to note:

- your IPD will change slightly, so just set it to a comfort level, rather than precise IPD mm number. I believe that's due to the lens adapter design.

- be careful with the hmd screens. If you see dust on them do not use the compressed air from the spray cans. The gas is very cold and can easily damage the screen, which will result in dead pixels. Use some other method of blowing the dust off. I have a camera lens cleaning kit that comes with a little dust brush pump, it works pretty well. In general if you do the swap in a dust free room you won't have any on the screens.

I'd like to ask ( sorry ...again..) it it makes any difference at all to buy the standard "old' Vive headset or spend the extra $$$ on the 'Pro'? The difference in cost can be significant.😏

48 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I'd like to ask ( sorry ...again..) it it makes any difference at all to buy the standard "old' Vive headset or spend the extra $$$ on the 'Pro'? The difference in cost can be significant.😏

with vivepro you get better resolution and the built-in headphones, and with the gearvr lense mod you get the best VR clarity out of all HMD's as it stands right now.  Before vivepro I had rift and the jump in clarity with vivepro (with gearvr mod) was pretty significant, night&day of kind a thing and to me it was well worth the additional cost (although not everyone shares my enthusiasm here 😄 ). But I can't go back to rift after vivepro, especially after the gearvr mod.  Also, I tried the original vive as well and it felt much worse than the Rift. The ergonomics lacked, there were no headphones (need to bring separate ones, or upgrade to DAS module for $100).  Now I'm waiting on my pimax 5k (pre-ordered), it should be on par with vivepro but with much wider FieldOfView.  

Well now that is the advice I needed > I do think I'll hold off for  a bit longer and keep my fingers crossed on an Oculus improvement.i can't believe they don't have some sort of future plans...😱

Oculus has best comfort if you use VRcover's leather-masks, but had to have been the worst HMD from an engineering POV of its generation. The amount of RMAs they allegedly had to go through posed some real questions on what they were doing, and how it affected and still affects their future strategy, and why they replaced some of their engineer leads.

Personally, I've had 2 RMAs since its purchase in 2017. I then sold it, and a week after selling it that one went out as well - of course I helped the guy - so 3 complete RMAs since July 2017. And none of them mishandled - 2 times an internal sensor simply gave up, and third time one screen just went out. Only German consumer laws protected me from writing these off already. While the OG Odyssey is like a Russian tank - it just works and works and works.

I am personally very curious about the Pimax 5K+. I am waiting for chiliwili's indepth longlasting review on it, he just received his iirc and is a competent VR veteran. If that thing fits well, it may be my next purchase. It's just very difficult to get hands on it to try it out in Europe, there are no vendors I know of.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

My Oculus ran flawless for 1 year, sold it, got the Oyssey +, much better resolution,better colors, like Vive Pro, with better sweet spot than Vive Pro(at less  than half the price) crisp video quality, and runs pretty smooth.

Only drawbacks are the scale is like 95% (which I fix with 3D Migoto) and comfort, no matter what position I try, its not comfortable.

1 hour ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Only drawbacks are the scale is like 95% (which I fix with 3D Migoto) and comfort, no matter what position I try, its not comfortable.

Can you use 3d Migoto mod on Multiplayer?

I've done the modification on my Vive. Excellent improvement in image quality.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, Blitzen said:

I'm still converned as to whether to order the regular Vive VR or the Vive VR Pro to go along with the changeof lenses.the cost difference on Ebay can be significant. I assume both come with hand controllers for other things?

Sry for the late response.

I'm completely in with Moosya with his responses. I have been tinkering a lot to get the best out of my rig but the main effort in the startup file is what Fenris Wolf suggested. Besides that I use the migoto mod of course. these 3 things; Pro with lens mod, migoto mod and the changes in the startup config file are easy enough and only take an hour to execute.

The difference with my previous Rift is night and day and I already enjoyed the Rift much. Won't go back to 2d at all.

Vive and Vive pro both have hand controllers (the same I think actually)

Good luck!

Is there an lens mod for the Samsung Odyssey+  on the market?