Sign in to follow this  
KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82

The "all-angle" Peshka

Hello dear pilots,

I wanted to share some footage of my clash with a PE-2 from yesterday.

Regarding to my, justified critizised approach (from 8th October 2018 in the video section) how I must admitt, I took this time some better approach on it, or at least I tried.

I pre-wish you all a happy new year guys, drink & fly hard ;)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You got hit flying parallel to the Peshka at very similar velocity probably by the sideways looking gunner. I see no mystery here.

• Upvote 3

Like Nocke said, you were in the perfect position for the sidegunner.  It would be interesting to know now if that was a AI gunner (which I think) or a human player. The armament of the Pe-2 is just pretty evil.

3 hours ago, 216th_Nocke said:

You got hit flying parallel to the Peshka at very similar velocity probably by the sideways looking gunner. I see no mystery here.

I was really much faster than him and come from right above, dived a little, shot and went to his left in an downwards attitude.

Just incredible the tracking skills of this gunner, also the 1 second burst into my plane. If the damage model is correct, what I believe, than the outer view of my plane is showing around 50 or more bullet holes.

I am amazed by this skills, also my 110 mate got his 2nd engine long range sniped.

Ivan, the terrible tail gunner :)

Well the side gunner has fairly limited angle of fire, you just sat right in front of him at the perfect distance. If you fly through a gunners sight they will shoot you, no matter how short their window of opportunity is.  You were also flying away from the Pe2 which meant you were in his fov even longer. Probably if you were closer to him, or nosed up or down he would never have gotten a shot off, certainly not as many as he did.

Your 110 buddy was basically parked at the peshkas 6. At some distance, but parked. He was shooting at the peshka, the peshka at him, in a very stationary situation concerning angles. Why does he expect to hit the peshka, but not the peshka to hit him?

If I fly low in a PE 2 and get cought by 1 fighter. 99,9 % of those times I go down. My gunners is not capable to warn me sometimes before I loose some controls and spin downwards. 

I have now flown multiple times against PE 2 in QMB, following a Youtube tutorial witch adviced me to come in from 90 degrees above and shoot with all you got at very close range , and I found out after a time that many follow this advice when I fly PE 2, because I mostly gett attacked once or twice with catastrophic results

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

On 1/1/2019 at 6:40 AM, LuseKofte said:

If I fly low in a PE 2 and get cought by 1 fighter. 99,9 % of those times I go down. My gunners is not capable to warn me sometimes before I loose some controls and spin downwards. 

I have now flown multiple times against PE 2 in QMB, following a Youtube tutorial witch adviced me to come in from 90 degrees above and shoot with all you got at very close range , and I found out after a time that many follow this advice when I fly PE 2, because I mostly gett attacked once or twice with catastrophic results

Well having just read a book regarding Me262 attacking tactics on bombers, it will be interesting to see if anybody tests the 262 against the Pe-2 AI gunners using similar tactics as it will clearly show if the Pe-2 gunners are over preforming and I'm sure that some servers will replace any allied bombers with the Pe-2.  However, only time will tell.

Regards

On 12/31/2018 at 10:59 PM, 216th_Nocke said:

The only mystery will be if we could see the position of the side gunner just prior to this engagement.  My understanding was that there was only one gunner in the rear fuselage that managed the lower permanent gun and in addition they had one mobile gun that had to be moved for use on the side.    The AI gunners appear to have an amazing ability to pre-position the gun aiming system, something that a human would not perhaps be able to do immediately, when you consider the actual size of the side windows and the visibility that is afforded! 

In addition, on the usual most populated server that allows GPS on, most Pe-2 players run at tree top heights and as such limits the ability of an attacking aircraft to use either speed or height to their advantage.  I've come to realise that you are better off leaving the low hanging Pe-2s for others to kill themselves on, although currently with the issues of the Pe-2 and other things, my own enjoyment of this game is slowly going the same way as most 109s!

Regards

EDIT:

@  KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82,  are you able to re-post your vid showing the fuselage gunner please through out the engagement?  At one point 5:22 (I think) you see the STBD gun in place and whilst the lower gun is still moving, the side gun moves to the PT side at about 5:33.  Therefore, I would be keen to see how quickly this AI gunner can move and shoot!!!

Edited by Haza

On 12/31/2018 at 10:37 PM, KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82 said:

I was really much faster than him and come from right above, dived a little, shot and went to his left in an downwards attitude.

Just incredible the tracking skills of this gunner, also the 1 second burst into my plane. If the damage model is correct, what I believe, than the outer view of my plane is showing around 50 or more bullet holes.

I am amazed by this skills, also my 110 mate got his 2nd engine long range sniped.

Ivan, the terrible tail gunner :)

I am fairly sure the holes you see on the skin are entirely generic: they just appear progressively as the damage on a given hit area increases from whatever source. They are not specific holes related to specific bullets.  Whether the overall level of damage you took was realistic or not is another matter.  

That you got hit, on the other hand, is entirely predictable: if the gunner was at the right station.  The tracking was as easy as is possible for a side gunner: all he has to do is aim slightly in front of you and you fly, fairly slowly relative to the gunner,  into the bullet stream.  Even I could have made that shot!

@Haza

Thanks, I did not noticed to check out the gun :)

Unfortunally I deleted all my recordings, but I could see it with the original video now, thanks to your input regarding the gun,

but I it was the rear-cockpit gunner which makes more sense, still incredible over 90 degree lead angle in maybe 1 second.

Just amazing the handy light MG and the experienced gunners, arent they?

• Thanks 1