Sign in to follow this  
Wolf8312

Listening to music while dogfighting?

Started listening to (air combat) music while dogfighting. Ride of the valkyries and things like that! In VR I find it incredibly stiring while dogfighting as if the music is in tandem with the action itself, more emotive, and like a movie I guess you could say!

It should by right be immersion breaking, and probably is for some people, as obviously real pilots did not have ipods, and even had they done so, would not have been stupid enough, or able to listen to music in combat!

But what about you guys. Ever tried it in VR, or out of VR? If so how about it?

• Confused 1

Way to engage therion! What's confusing you about it? Don't just hide behind silly snide faces tell me what you think!

What I think? Well, it some kind reminds me that awful Hollywood film (don't remember the title), where a young guy

going to combat in a F16 with his tape recorder strapped on his lap - silly. But that's my opinion. Basta.

Usually I like to listen to podcasts on flying, music is being played too sometimes.

The immersion question is a personal one. For me its hard to get fully immersed when I cant feel the G-Forces and Vibrations of the plane, but thats just a pipedream to have em.

Always remember, in the air nobody can hear you listen to music 😉

4 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

What I think? Well, it some kind reminds me that awful Hollywood film (don't remember the title), where a young guy

going to combat in a F16 with his tape recorder strapped on his lap - silly. But that's my opinion. Basta.

I use you tube myself! And as I already have a box strapped to my face anyway, I doubt a bit of music is going to make me look any more silly! I still don't understand what you are saying to be honest! How is listening to music in flight silly, or how does it make one look stupid? And who cares what one looks like anyway? Who's watching? My two year old child? My wife (its already an iron clad fact I am silly in her opinion😀)?

I could understand if you said it's not exactly a realistic thing to do, if one is trying to immerse oneself in a WW2 role play situation, but that's also silly and nerdy to some people as well right?

3 hours ago, Leon_Portier said:

Usually I like to listen to podcasts on flying, music is being played too sometimes.

The immersion question is a personal one. For me its hard to get fully immersed when I cant feel the G-Forces and Vibrations of the plane, but thats just a pipedream to have em.

Always remember, in the air nobody can hear you listen to music 😉

Yeah there is plenty of dedictated dogfighting music on youtube, so I don't think its that outlandish! I sometimes listen to audiobooks as well, on long flights usually something about world war two aviation, just to keep things realistic!

Edited by Wolf8312

16 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

I use you tube myself! And as I already have a box strapped to my face anyway, I doubt a bit of music is going to make me look any more silly! I still don't understand what you are saying to be honest! How is listening to music in flight silly, or how does it make one look stupid? And who cares what one looks like anyway? Who's watching? My one year old child? My wife (its already an iron clad fact I am silly in her opinion😀)?

I never said or pretended that you are stupid, mate, but it reminds me that film I mentioned and this one is definitely silly. And do you really think I do look less silly with my leather hood, goggles and TrackIR pro clip pinned on my head??? :P

No, it's just an immersion question to me. If I fly or dogfight, instead of music, I'd rather prefer a mist diffusor with some oil and petrol, a heater in front and a small ventilator

on top of it - now, that's really immersive silly...

Edited by -IRRE-Therion

25 minutes ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

I never said or pretended that you are stupid, mate, but it reminds me that film I mentioned and this one is definitely silly. And do you really think I do look less silly with my leather hood, goggles and TrackIR pro clip pinned on my head??? :P

No, it's just an immersion question to me. If I fly or dogfight, instead of music, I'd rather prefer a mist diffusor with some oil and petrol, a heater in front and a small ventilator

on top of it - now, that's really immersive silly...

I take your point haha!

i think the right music gets you in the mood

when i was competing in raceroom at the top level i notice certain songs made gain like 3 or 4 tenths hotlapping

anything that evades you from THINKING on piloting is good, its when you think what you gotta do when you screw

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, raaaid said:

i think the right music gets you in the mood

when i was competing in raceroom at the top level i notice certain songs made gain like 3 or 4 tenths hotlapping

anything that evades you from THINKING on piloting is good, its when you think what you gotta do when you screw

Yeah I gotta get some music for Rfactor 2 in VR. I wonder if racing music is a thing! Although it should be immersion breaking, for me in VR it actually adds immersion by creating a more emotional, stiring sensation. Operatic almost! There are times when the music seems to be in perfect harmony with the movements of the plane, or action itself!

Edited by Wolf8312

I find Judas Priest to be excellent dogfighting music. Their latest album “Firepower” in particular has been in my ears while flying quite often recently. 

18 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

I find Judas Priest to be excellent dogfighting music. Their latest album “Firepower” in particular has been in my ears while flying quite often recently. 

I shall get right on it!

Edit- Oh yes see what you mean. Funny cause my best friend is a die hard metal fan, and I have always disliked and disparaged it, but I have to say it goes well with dog fighting!

Edited by Wolf8312

1 hour ago, Wolf8312 said:

I shall get right on it!

Edit- Oh yes see what you mean. Funny cause my best friend is a die hard metal fan, and I have always disliked and disparaged it, but I have to say it goes well with dog fighting!

Judas Priest is a good gateway drug into heavy metal, since they were pretty instrumental in creating the genre in the first place.