II./JG77_motoadve

Asymmetrical flap damage Me 109

Notice this in the 109 (maybe P47 do this too)

You loose the flap on one side in a dogfight (at least graphically the flap is gone)

Then when you deploy flaps only one side goes down (other side its gone).

You feel a bit of roll, just a bit and easily compensated with aileron, this flaps go to 40 degrees, the plane should roll or almost be un controllable when deploying flaps.

Unless its another deal where graphically its just some holes in the flaps.

• Upvote 1

It appears 109 has 4 flaps: 2 smaller inner-ones and 2 larger outer-ones. I had one of the larger flaps shot out and the plane was hard to control when landing (at 40 degrees). I am not an expert but I felt that was realistic enough.

Its way to easy and forgiving, unrealistic.

Realistic would be uncontrollable or barely controllable with full opposite aileron, when deploying flaps, so landing should not be attempted with flaps.

I fly real planes and a failure like this its very unforgiving and has caused many accidents in airplanes with less than 40 degrees of flaps.

• Like 1

Interesting observation motoadve.

I believe I once experienced a similar situation, but I recall it was almost impossible to control the aircraft, so, I would go for a graphical bug maybe?

Doesn't the 109 use parts of the radiators as flaps too (I think the whole rad outlet can swivel to a degree to act as additional flaps surface)? Maybe that's the reason it can compensate the loss of one outer flap to a degree.

4min 30sec. Spitfire missing one flap and one aileron. Fully controllable. I stalled it repeatedly and willingly, in both directions, to demonstrate that it recovers instantly, although I am constantly sideslipping.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

great analysis : I wonder if the Spit problems are only limited to this plane or if they are also present for others.

I hope that it will be taken into account. 

8 hours ago, JG27_PapaFly said:

4min 30sec. Spitfire missing one flap and one aileron. Fully controllable. I stalled it repeatedly and willingly, in both directions, to demonstrate that it recovers instantly, although I am constantly sideslipping.

You just can't drop it, can't you? The devs have seen that and they replied to you. Twice. Then you even managed to have your thread even hidden. Are you gonna pester threads until you are banned? Is that your "I don't have an" agenda?

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

You just can't drop it, can't you? The devs have seen that and they replied to you. Twice. Then you even managed to have your thread even hidden. Are you gonna pester threads until you are banned? Is that your "I don't have an" agenda? 

Oh, excuse me almighty Zac for answering motodave's question. I thought this was allowed around here.

5 hours ago, JG27_PapaFly said:

Oh, excuse me almighty Zac for answering motodave's question. I thought this was allowed around here.

No need to excuse to me. I do not doubt your intentions. My opinion about you being allowed to reply is also not relevant. All I said that it might be a good idea to listen to the ones whose opinion about you being allowed to teply matters.

But this is definitely where I leave this discussion. But I do so on a positive note: You said FFB Joysticks implement trim changes well. Hopefully when patents finally expired, we can have more of these sticks again.

On 12/30/2018 at 6:45 AM, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Notice this in the 109 (maybe P47 do this too)

You loose the flap on one side in a dogfight (at least graphically the flap is gone)

Then when you deploy flaps only one side goes down (other side its gone).

You feel a bit of roll, just a bit and easily compensated with aileron, this flaps go to 40 degrees, the plane should roll or almost be un controllable when deploying flaps.

Unless its another deal where graphically its just some holes in the flaps.

I've noticed that with the latest DM versions planes loose flaps and gear covers extremely often. Whenever I land a substantial wing hit those parts are the first to pass my canopy. My impression is that this effect is a bit overdone.